The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default smoking brined turkey

I did this about two years ago, or maybe it was last year... yeah it was last year. I brined it following a recipe on the board and then stuck it in the smoker all day. I think I over cooked it. I had it in with a brisket and just pulled them at the same time.

13 pound bird, 12 hours in brine. Cooking at 225-250. what should my cook time be? I heard the brine accelerates the cooking process so I want to double check with the brain trust.

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

I think 225-250 is too low for poultry. I've got two birds in brine right now, and I'm planning on smoking them at 275-300 like I do chicken. I'm expecting my 12-13 pounders to be done in about 4 hours give or take.

Good luck, and happy thanksgiving!

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

thank you sir. that means I can sleep in. Cooked a brisket and butt today. Ate the brisket with the incoming family, saving the butt to eat with the turkey.

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

At 250, I've read plan on about 30 minutes a pound. Of course cook by temp, not time, but the 30 minutes per is to be used as a plan. Thus start an hour or so earlier then planned and cooler to hold.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote