oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Ernie3

Default Roasting bags?

I wish I could do the Turkey for Thanksgiving on my chargriller but the forecast is for rain. If we were'nt having company the rain would not even be an issue. Anyway has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the reynolds oven roasting bags??? Just wondering if they are any good because they cut the cooking time way down for a turkey.

Tommorow is another story though, no rain and high in the mid 50's

Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cook it tomorrow and reheat in the oven on T-Day. Just a thought.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie3 View Post
I wish I could do the Turkey for Thanksgiving on my chargriller but the forecast is for rain. If we were'nt having company the rain would not even be an issue. Anyway has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the reynolds oven roasting bags??? Just wondering if they are any good because they cut the cooking time way down for a turkey.

Tommorow is another story though, no rain and high in the mid 50's
We have always used the oven roasting bags and they work great. No problems. No worrying about remembering to baste.

Seems to work good for us.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
bbqbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
We have always used the oven roasting bags and they work great. No problems. No worrying about remembering to baste.

Seems to work good for us.

I agree, throw the veggies inside the bag as well. When bird is done, drain juices and thats how we got our.....ozzins for our gravy base.

Love them things, just dont forget to flour the inside of the bag...like the directions say on the box. Did forget once...........big mess. Amazing what a tablespoon of flour can do to make things much easier.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. "

"Heavily medicated for your protection. "

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

yup, them bags work great. Towards the end, i take it out of the bag to help things get a little crispier.

Also, a couple times I had a bird let out LOTS of juice and started to swim a little. I drain the bag if that happens and save for gravy.

dont expect to get any smoke on it though.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Ernie3

Thanks Guys, sounds like it will be good. Pooh Bah I was thinking of doing exactly as you said about taking the bird out of the bag alittle early to crisp it up a bit. I figured it might need that. Well, Happy Thanksgiving Brothers!!!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
deeque
Full Fledged Farker

Smile

i hate to admit it, but we've used the cooking bags quite often. try it, you will be surprised at the results. lets us know how it turns out. Enjoy the meal and the day.

UDS
WEBER OTG 22.5
deeque is offline   Reply With Quote