The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Hardwood Briquetts

I got my hands on a couple bags of Rancher a few months back and loved the way it cooked in my WSM. Unfortunatly in NY it's hard to come by, so my mission was to find a local supplier of a hardwood briquette. I located Wicked Good Charcoal out of Maine who has a distrubutor in Brooklyn NY. From my research WGC and Rancher are very compatible in the way they're manufactured to burn time. Has anyone on the board cooked with WGC product and how would you rate it to Rancher or other hardwood briquettes?
Wicked fast, Super accurate, splash proof RED Thermapen
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
I got my hands on a couple bags of Rancher a few months back and loved the way it cooked in my WSM. Unfortunatly in NY it's hard to come by, so my mission was to find a local supplier of a hardwood briquette. I located Wicked Good Charcoal out of Maine who has a distrubutor in Brooklyn NY. From my research WGC and Rancher are very compatible in the way they're manufactured to burn time. Has anyone on the board cooked with WGC product and how would you rate it to Rancher or other hardwood briquettes?
Disclaimer: My BBQ team is sponsored by Wicked Good Charcoal

That being said I love the Wicked Good Briquettes. I use them in my Meadow Creek chicken cooker and I find I get less ash than Kingsford and a more even fire than if I use Lump coal. I've never tried the Rancher so I can't really compare the two.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.

Last edited by YankeeBBQ; 11-20-2007 at 10:01 PM..
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

My last two cooks were with lump and like you say inconsistance heat. I've taken a liking to the hardwood briquettes because you can get a longer burn time with less ash and you don't get the fowl odor like you do with Kingsford. Don't get me wrong Kingsford works for me but I'm looking to kick it up a notch.

I'm leaving for Massachusetts tomorrow and I'll be on the prowl for some WGC for a few test cooks. Any recommendations of where to find it.
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com

Unread 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Has anyone on the board cooked with WGC product and how would you rate it to Rancher or other hardwood briquettes?
Yessir. There is 50 pounds of it in my basement right now.
Smooth, consistent, slow, hot burn.
Have never used another hardwood briquette, so my comparison is to lump and regular briquette.
I only use it in the WSM, it seems kind of a waste to toss it in the "furnace" on the offset.
WGC is all I burn.

Unread 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post

I'm leaving for Massachusetts tomorrow and I'll be on the prowl for some WGC for a few test cooks. Any recommendations of where to find it.
They have a distribution center in Enfield CT if your going by that way but you might have to buy a pallet. They have a list of retail stores on their website. www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
clubjoe
On the road to being a farker

Yankee, I'm glad you brought up the Wicked Good Charcoal. The briquettes are second to none!!! I get calls all the time from people I have sold charcoal too about them wanting more and more. It has really started taking off down here in KC.
Lang 60
Ole Hickory CTO
UDS twin pipe
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
clubjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
They have a distribution center in Enfield CT if your going by that way but you might have to buy a pallet. They have a list of retail stores on their website. www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com
I was on WGC website via the smokering during my research phase a few weeks ago. There's a distributor in Brooklyn. I may look into buying a pallet load if I can generate intrest amongst some co workers and friends who smoke or who ever may be interested in purchasing at cost on LI.

I'm glad to see positive feed back. I'm going to put a call in next week to Brooklyn to find out some more details.

If anyone on LI is interested in trying out WGC briquettes please private msg me and I will see what I can do.
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com

Unread 11-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
nonthink
Full Fledged Farker

I wonder what kind of hardwoods are used, and does it add any flavor to the meat? Would you add less chunks of hardwood to your cook due to the fact that the briquettes are made from hardwood?

WSM w\ Stoker
Char-Broil Silver Smoker
Smokey Joe Gold
Weber Kettle (18 in.)
Kingsford Kettle (it came w\ the house)
Kenmore Gasser (I've grown tired of being a charcoal purest)
nonthink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2007, 03:10 AM   #9
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

$10 for a 10 lb bag of Wicked Good Briqs here in the PNW. What does it go for on the East Coast?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
$10 for a 10 lb bag of Wicked Good Briqs here in the PNW. What does it go for on the East Coast?
If you go on the WGC website you will find 11# bags ranging between $5.80 - $6.80 depending upon volume purchased. Shipping costs would bring the per bag price up a few $$$ also. So I would say that the price per bag is relatively the same on the east coast.
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com

Unread 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

The Woodman in Brooklyn is a good guy-- I believe he's the distributor you are talking about. I head out to East Hampton pretty frequently, so I'd be interested in splitting some of that pallet with ya......

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote