ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Egg table suggestions?

OK Brethren, I've got some questions for any of you eggers who may have built your own tables, or modified the tables you bought with your Big Green Egg.

I looked at the plans provided on the BGE site, and perused through the gallery and "build it" section on the Naked Whiz's site, but they still don't answer my questions. Searching the "official" BGE forum is like a needle in a hay stack, and I'm not in the right clique for asking a question over there. The layout of that type board bugs me - it's so 1980's.

On to the questions:

What type wood(s) did you use? If you bought the table directly from BGE it is cypress. I've already priced several different woods, and I can tell you that redwood is out due to budgetary concerns. I plan to do the skeleton with pressure treated lumber. I have priced cedar, poplar, red oak, and white pine for the horizontal surfaces and exterior siding.

What kind of finish did you use (new build or BGE-built)? I've looked at solid & semi-solid stains, and Australian timber oil. If you've had your table for a while, how often have you re-finished?

My plan is to enclose the table and use it for storage of eggstras, charcoal and smoking woods. I built my own fence and I'm fairly handy and a quick learner. I have the right tools, so it should be a snap.

My concerns are primarily wood choice and finish. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I wish I could help... all I can say is I am jealous you have the tools and the skills. I would love to have a compact table for The Green Monster!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

why not go with a synthetic decking material for the top. Should last forever and be easy to clean and use. wooden frame, fake decking. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

My first table I used some Eco-friendly decking following the BGE plans, but centered it and raised the bottom shelf because my Imperial Kamado is shorter than the Egg and new IK's. At the time the plans did not take in account the extra 2" needed for the spring assist hinge, so I had to put another paver under the K. It's currently a potting bench!!

Then I found a Cypress BGE table on craigslist, but it looked like Father/Son bonding project gone wrong! Bent nails on top decking, etc. I stripped it down and replaced the top with Ipe (Ironwood) 1x6 decking, beefed it up to hold two cookers, then added fold down side tables with brackets from Woodcraft.

I'm on the lookout for a 6' Stainless steel prep table to mount them in.

If you priced Redwood then Ipe is probably right up there too! I found some shorts and cut-offs from deck builder that just wanted it hauled off, but when I had to buy a plank I just about chit! Cedar is about the only other option around here. I think my first table cost around $150 in materials. They aren't cheap any way you go, buy it or make it. I like the tables made from the Metro carts, they are chrome and stainless steel.

Anything kept outdoors that I've used Oak on has turned black from mildew.

Don't use Trex or any composite decking, if you get a stray flying chunk of burning lump it'll melt it!

I've used Teak Oil in the past with good results.

Bob Vila sez- "measure twice-cut once!"
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
darthtrader
Full Fledged Farker

Here's a site with lots of different examples of BGE tables.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

He also goes step by step in making his own table here.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/cart.htm
18.5 Weber Kettle
UDS
Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane Smoker
darthtrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
JD McGee

I haven't built one yet for my BGE...but when I do it will be Cypress with no finish.
We cook on MAK Grills, WSM's, & BPS Drums
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
tntitan
On the road to being a farker

i just sunk my weber kettle in a picnic table i put durarock on the top and covered it with tile

Unread 11-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I wish I could help... all I can say is I am jealous you have the tools and the skills. I would love to have a compact table for The Green Monster!!
I should've been more clear. I have the borrowed tools.

After pricing out the wood, here is how it shakes out. All use pressure treated 2x4x8 as a skeleton, and all prices are plus tax. This does not include the price of any stain or hardware. Just lumber.

Pine: $96.84
Red Oak: $319.77
Poplar: $238.30
Cedar: $224.89

I don't have access to teak or cypress here, and redwood is way above my price range. I'd almost be better off buying one of the BGE pre-builts and staining it and modding it for my needs. However, I would also like to have somewhere for my old kamado like swamprb.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #9
swamprb

You might try the Primo forum, I got some useful and friendly info about Kamados when I was searching.http://www.primogrill.com/index.shtml
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com

Last edited by swamprb; 11-13-2007 at 11:03 AM..
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2007, 05:02 AM   #10
bdgr
Got Wood.

Of the woods listed I'd go with cedar. Its naturaly weather resistant, where the others arent. Preassure treated is often treated with some rather toxic chemicals. I'd steer clear.

Red oak, unlike white ok, is not so weather resistant. I've got a garage full of quartersawn white ok..but its a little expensive to use for something like this.

The cedar you wouldn't need to stain or treat...it'll just turn silver like a fence.

Unread 11-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
thunderbelly
On the road to being a farker

Just buy a prebuilt counter top, rout out the hole and there is your top. You did say it is going to be covered and such so should be no problem. I used cedar for the Horizontal surfaces and presure treated for the bracing and frame on mine (found the counter top idea after I was done)

Oaklahoma Joe trailer rig
WSM
Traeger 70
ECB starter model
thunderbelly is offline   Reply With Quote