The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
BBQ_MAFIA
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Cooking Contest at Work

Every year we have a cooking contest in my office around the Holidays.
It started out as a fun pot luck get together with about 300 people participating in one way or another. Over the years, for a small group of us, it has evolved into a more competitive event to see who can produce the best crowed pleasing eats along with the best presentation.

Although there aren't any rules, there are great prizes, and for those of us with a competitive streak and an obsessive compulsive disorder, we want to win, we need to win.

I've been lucky enough to take first Prize for several years in a row while
each year the competition has been getting better and better.

Here is where I need your ideas.

Do any of you have pictures of serving displays that you consider to be impressive?

I'm looking to go over the top and have a great time.
This year I really want to WOW the judges.

Here is what I'm currently planning to cook:

80 LB Whole Hog or a smaller Pig with Pulled Pork served around it.
Several Racks of Ribs
Two Briskets
A couple of Beer Can Chickens for display around Thighs and Legs
Beans
Slaw
Turds

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions along with any pics you may have.
Thanks

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Default Display

Sounds like you are about as competitive as I am. Obviously start with a 6 foot table and put a plastic table cloth (from the roll) on it to protect it. Have a nice crisp, white cloth on top of it. I would get a big mirror (not framed) and put it on the cloth, centered, yet toward the back of the table. Display your hog on it, putting the pork around it, make sure you clean the mirror up when done with placement. At each end of the hog on matching wooden cutting boards, I'd have a brisket, partially sliced and a whole rack intact on the other with one rack cut through and have each board at an angle. I'd also surround the brisket with some burnt ends. On a smaller platter in front of the hog, I would put the legs and thighs with beer can chicken halves on each side kind of framing the pieces. The ABTs, I would make plenty of them and have them placed every so often on the pig mirror lengthwise going around the entire mirror. I would also purchase some small paper doilies and place the abts all around the table, not too much, just enough to make it "fun"! Beans and slaw, dependent up on their serving bowls it would be nice to have two identical bowls and have them centered between the chicken platter and the edge of the table on each side.

But, hey, that's just me.
Diva is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Amazing!
Gives a new slant on the old doing it with "Smoke and Mirrors" reference.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

BRAVO, Diva. I think I saw a similar setup at a wedding I attended sometime ago. Of course they didn't have the same foods but the setup was very impressive. Guido, can I help..............and nibble a little.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Sounds like you are about as competitive as I am. Obviously start with a 6 foot table and put a plastic table cloth (from the roll) on it to protect it. Have a nice crisp, white cloth on top of it. I would get a big mirror (not framed) and put it on the cloth, centered, yet toward the back of the table. Display your hog on it, putting the pork around it, make sure you clean the mirror up when done with placement. At each end of the hog on matching wooden cutting boards, I'd have a brisket, partially sliced and a whole rack intact on the other with one rack cut through and have each board at an angle. I'd also surround the brisket with some burnt ends. On a smaller platter in front of the hog, I would put the legs and thighs with beer can chicken halves on each side kind of framing the pieces. The ABTs, I would make plenty of them and have them placed every so often on the pig mirror lengthwise going around the entire mirror. I would also purchase some small paper doilies and place the abts all around the table, not too much, just enough to make it "fun"! Beans and slaw, dependent up on their serving bowls it would be nice to have two identical bowls and have them centered between the chicken platter and the edge of the table on each side.

But, hey, that's just me.

I'm getting hungry!!!!

Please post pics!!!!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I don't have any pics

I made it up as I read what they were cooking.... I'm pretty good at placement.

Oh, on the pig, put him towards the back of the mirror that's on the edge of the table, that leaves more room for him to "shine". Center him horizontally, not vertically. The ABT's on the pig mirror, make them lengthwise on the edge of the mirror like a "frame"....on the left side start with the widest part of the pepper on the edge and work them that way towards the front of the mirror and around the corner, do the same on the right side and have them "meet" point to point.

Another thing, when you (if you even do this) place the chicken halves on each side of the chicken pieces platter, set a thigh under the top of each half so they're at a slant and the judges will see them angled. It'll be cool!

Whatever you do....take pictures and follow up, please.
Diva is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I seem to remember Big Brother Smoke had a gig with a whole hog that I thought the presentation was cool but I can't find his post. He has done some nice weddings and I thought his presentaion was really nice.

Help us out here BBS.....

Is the head going to be attached?

I think it's cool, but some people might get kinda queasy over that.

Diva, do you cater? If not, you should! Sounds fantastic!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
BBQ_MAFIA
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBQ View Post
Is the head going to be attached?

I think it's cool, but some people might get kinda queasy over that.
I planned on leaving the head on, but I agree, some may ge queay over it.
I'm still going to have to think about it.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is online now   Reply With Quote