The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Judges Comment Cards

I received comment cards from judges for the first time at a contest this past weekend and while I still love the idea, it really left me scratching my head. Here's the story and feel free to give me your thoughts.

Card 1: Team 179. Pork. excellent flavor and tenderness (Ok. No arguments there but read on)

Card 2: Team 179, Brisket. Very, very tough, good taste (maybe? I tasted it as did several other teams and nobody mentioned toughness. Whatever.)

Card 3: Team 179, Chicken. Nice overall blend. Skin consistency perfect.

Here's my WTF moment. As anyone who was cooking on or around me this weekend knows, in a moment of sleep deprived stupidity I decided to throw my chicken back on a screaming hot grill and instantly burnt all of the skin. I salvaged it by taking the skin off and turning it in naked. So "Skin consistency perfect"???
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

sounds like your 'skin' was so tender it was like it wasnt even there. (no not joking)

judge needed glasses maybe? Some reason, they were unaware it was skinless.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
sounds like your 'skin' was so tender it was like it wasnt even there. (no not joking)

judge needed glasses maybe? Some reason, they were unaware it was skinless.
Ok. Perhaps. But it was pretty hard to miss the fact that there was no skin. I tore it off, gave the meat a light glaze and focused on presentation points to save me.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Unread 10-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Sledneck
Time Out

Having sampled your brisket it definetely was not tough ,infact it was alot better than mine came out, im not sure i liked your sauce but the execution was perfect
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Having sampled your brisket it definetely was not tough ,infact it was alot better than mine came out, im not sure i liked your sauce but the execution was perfect
It wasn't the best sauce you ever tasted?

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardchef View Post
maybe he should of, apparantly the jelly like chunky sauce is a hit with the judges.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardchef View Post
Maybe not, but the judges loved the skin on my "very, very tough" brisket.

Seriously, I don't get it. Cook a skinless chicken thigh and one with skin and see if you can tell them apart. I'm betting you can.

Unread 10-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker

Just seems like another reason that comments cards are a bad idea. The more and more of these cards that come out, there will be more and more of these types of issues that will do nothing but cast doubts on the judges..better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

i am in. I got a judges comment card that said " was tough" but didnt put what category it was for
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

My chicken skin never turns out perfect. Guess I use the weed burner just before turn-in!
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
Just seems like another reason that comments cards are a bad idea. The more and more of these cards that come out, there will be more and more of these types of issues that will do nothing but cast doubts on the judges..better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
I'd rather be aware of the problem and take the necessary steps to correct then than be ignorant to it.

Comment cards are still pretty new, so there is a learning curve with these as well. Comment cards increase the communication between the judges and the cooks, which IMO is a great thing.

I think mandatory comments for any scores below the starting 6 is a good idea.

Unread 10-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #12
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
I'd rather be aware of the problem and take the necessary steps to correct then than be ignorant to it.

Comment cards are still pretty new, so there is a learning curve with these as well. Comment cards increase the communication between the judges and the cooks, which IMO is a great thing.

I think mandatory comments for any scores below the starting 6 is a good idea.

I doubt that I would learn anything from a judges card that I didnt already know. If you are turning in what you think is winning meat and you arent winning you arent being honest about your food. Every time I have turned in a box I knew what the issues were with it. Sometimes the scores are a little lower than I was expecting, sometimes a little higher, but no judge is going to be able to tell me anythig I didnt already know...Low scores just have to be justified to a table captain and judges scores should be tracked, but I dont care to see any comment cards.

Bad judges should be asked not to judge. I dont know if they should already do it, but they should try. I know that FBA does something like this where judges who score on the edges are just not asked to judge anymore.

I wouldnt change anything about my cooking based on anything that was on a comment card. You can learn more about comp cooking by just listening and practicing that anything you are going to get from a judge.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
I wouldnt change anything about my cooking based on anything that was on a comment card. You can learn more about comp cooking by just listening and practicing that anything you are going to get from a judge.
I agree 100%. Prior to last weekend's contest I was very interested to get comment cards. Now I think they created more confusion than assistance, at least in their current state.

I knew before I turned in my chicken that it was going to bomb, and it did (24th out of 30). I knew the pork was good and it did well (1st). The ribs and brisket were the best I've cooked to date and the results showed (7th and 9th).

My lessons were learned by the mistakes I made cooking/presenting, not from a judge who loved the skin on a skinless thigh. And I know those scores will continue to get better each time I try.

Unread 10-25-2007, 09:23 AM   #14
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

I would let Jerry and Linda know about this. KCBS is looking for feedback to improve the judging process and I am sure something like this speaks for itself.

My brisket was burnt (dummy here put the therm in the point!) - got only 6 slices from 2 flats. Dry and flaking apart. Box looked decent but I did not like the taste at all. I got 13th!
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

I really like getting the comment cards. Regardless of the comments these are the people judging your food, more communication is better then none. For those that don't like the cards you can just throw them away.

I hope KCBS continues to use them with a few tweaks.