MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Here is mainley daves link, and lotsa pictures. I realize its used w/an electric smoker FWIW. BBQ with MainelyDave

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #17
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a rub that I got from (of all things) a car site I go to. There is a community section with all different types of topics, including food. Someone posted this rub as one they found whilst searching for an Outback steak house style rub. They said it's an all-around rub to use on steak, chicken and pork, but cautioned that a little goes a long way. I found it out the hard way last night when my tongue burned from the salt. I will probably cut the salt back when I make it again.

8 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

My wife's chicken was better than mine, because I used less rub on hers (as usual).
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
Paulie G.
is one Smokin' Farker

I make my own rubs and for pork I purposely omit sugar. When I cook chickens, however, I add 3/4 cup of brownulated sugar to the rub.
Klose custom 28'x7' Golf Pro Classic mobile pit.
Paulie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #19
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Can Splenda be used as a substitute for sugar?

If you google mainley dave, he made his own rubs using Splenda. This was for weight loss.

Just thinking out loud here, Good luck on your request.
I have heard of others using Splenda with good results.... I have toyed sampling it to see how it does. I have a buddy that loves my pork, but is also a diabetic, so I was talking to him about trying it. He told me to and he would let me know how it was.

Or, just leave it out! ! !

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #20
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Southern Flavor Cajun and SF Charbroil make a pretty good rub (just treat it as a season salt or you'll over do it.)

Love the Charbroil on brisket

www.southernflavor.com

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #21
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Have you ever considered using Stevia?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #22
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I have used Stevia and have both powdered and leaf on hand. I would think it would be costly to use. A little goes a long ways and there could be a problem getting it to cover the meat evenly without a build up in spots which could be very harsh.

I cooked a butt, a chicken and two slabes of spares this weekend and used only salt, pepper and garlic, kind of a back to basics thing and I must say they were great. My bbq sauce provided all the sweetness the meat needed.
Dave

Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #23
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I have used Stevia and have both powdered and leaf on hand. I would think it would be costly to use. A little goes a long ways and there could be a problem getting it to cover the meat evenly without a build up in spots which could be very harsh.

I cooked a butt, a chicken and two slabes of spares this weekend and used only salt, pepper and garlic, kind of a back to basics thing and I must say they were great. My bbq sauce provided all the sweetness the meat needed.
Dave
What is your opinion of it? A little does go a long way. I tried the drops in a sauce. it is very sweet. I do like that it is all natural
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #24
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Quote:
What is your opinion of it? A little does go a long way. I tried the drops in a sauce. it is very sweet. I do like that it is all natural
I like it but for some reason I got away from it, I guess because at the time it was very expensive and hard to find around here, maybe thats changed. I never really cooked with it but use it mostly in drinks. I like the chopped leaves brewed as a tea.

I think part of the reason it is not used more is the Large sugar producers are afraid of it and lobby the FDA to keep it listed as a drug so it can't be sold and advertised as a sweetener like sugar, that sucks.
Dave

Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #25
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

I don't think Byron's has any sugar. Just salt and spices.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote