ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Sledneck
Time Out

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Win the Jack and get millions in sponsorship!

According to this article:
IS NOTHING SACRED? Brits Talk Trash, Crash Barbecue Bash
Written by Shelley Emling — New York Times News Service

10/16/2007

LONDON — Whether it involves low heat, slow heat, slow smoke or gloppy sauce, few countries know how to incinerate meat as well as the United States.

But now the British barbecue champions believe they can beat the Americans on their home turf.

Indeed, the four-man British team is confident it will bring home the bacon at the granddaddy of all barbecue contests: Jack Daniel's World Championship Invitational Barbecue in Lynchburg, Tenn.

The competition begins Oct. 27, but the team landed in the States this past weekend.

A couple of years ago, a British team won "The Jack" in the international division, which is not open to U.S. teams.

But the Brits had to come to America to establish their credentials.

"No matter what country you're from, you know the real competition is over here," said Terry Black, owner of Super Smokers BBQ in Eureka.

" 'Memphis in May,' the 'American Royal' in Kansas City, 'The Jack' and the Houston Livestock and Rodeo Show. You have to make a good showing there to get your name on the map."

Black ought to know. He has won numerous barbecue contests himself, including the 2000 World Championship at the

"Memphis in May" and the Illinois state championship for ribs just last month.

The British never have been renowned for their barbecuing finesse; last year's competitors placed 63rd out of a field of 65. But the team members say this year is different. They've hired the bearded Tennessean Rocky Danner, former vice president of the World Barbecue Association and an internationally renowned judge, to whip them into shape.

Danner spent six weeks with the British team in the North Yorkshire village of Goldsborough, helping the men hone their skills so that they can create melt-in-your-mouth meat.

"These are seasoned veterans, some with 30 to 35 years of experience," Danner said. "I've taught them American-style barbecue, which is low and slow, and they're ready to compete."

The British team includes Jeremy Fowler, Terry Greenhouse and Nick Ellam — all experienced chefs with varied talents. One is a former personal chef to the Sultan of Brunei; another is the former executive chef of the cruise ship Queen Elizabeth 2.

The team's manager, Andy Annat, is the British barbecue champion. He recently was asked to barbecue for 1,500 people at Queen Elizabeth's 80th birthday celebration at her castle in Balmoral.

The winner of the prestigious contest not only takes home $30,000 in cash and prizes but also a chance at millions in sponsorship money — not to mention bragging rights.

To qualify for "The Jack," as the contest is known, U.S. teams either must have been crowned their state's champion or must have won a competition in which at least 50 teams participated. The event is so popular that a lottery is held to choose 65 or so competitors from the pool of qualified teams.

The competitors will go up against each other in categories that include pork shoulder, pork ribs, beef brisket and chicken.

Annat knows the heat will be on his team.

"The timing will be crucial," he said. "We're cooking huge pieces of meat like brisket that are not tender. Even so, we're pretty confident we're coming away with a prize," he said. "We know what we're doing."

While Super Smokers' Black is glad to see the art of barbecue going global, he's not rooting for the invaders to win.

"As a true red-blooded American," he said, "that would just be wrong."
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

Funny, I guess Scottie (Sp) could answer that one. Millions is a bit strong though but I guess with the exchange rate a million american is only like 200 bucks in england.

Butts A Fire BBQ Team

NB Bandera
Webber Kettle
Backwoods Party
Pro Q Excel 20
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Millions of pesos.

<Barbacoa Mod>

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

I saw this yesterday and read that part too...I think that publication needs a new fact checker. Also, isn't the grand prize more like $3,000...not $30,000?
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Scottie
Babbling Farker

GC is worth $2500. I know from all of the sponsorships, I am easily raking in millions. So much so, that I am quitting my day job so I can concentrate on cooking BBQ fulltime.

It does open some doors, but millions is a bit of an embelishment...

I wish I could say that I raked in millions for my foundation, as that is my driving force.

Scottie

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

I wish you could too Scottie.
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
vr6Cop
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
I wish you could too Scottie.
Amen!

I'll make sure to give the Brits a good ribbing while I'm there, since you guys that are cooking won't have time to.
Jere Baxter-Edgefield Lodge 254 F&AM
vr6Cop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
GC is worth $2500. I know from all of the sponsorships, I am easily raking in millions. So much so, that I am quitting my day job so I can concentrate on cooking BBQ fulltime.

It does open some doors, but millions is a bit of an embelishment...

I wish I could say that I raked in millions for my foundation, as that is my driving force.

Scottie
Scottie or should i say dad you know you had a 40 year old son howdy pop... i need some money for something not shure what yet but since you have millions well pop i love ya

Last edited by FatBoyz; 10-18-2007 at 06:32 PM..
FatBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

No offense to our British brother CarbonToe but these guys saying they're confident they'll bring home a prize at the Jack kinda annoys me. They're going up against the best BBQ cooks in the WORLD when they are clearly NOT in that category. I am aware that on any given day, lightning can strike but this seems different to me. If they're not a lot intimidated, they should be. I know I would be.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Carbon not withstanding... I can only hope they finish DAL!!!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
If they're not a lot intimidated, they should be. I know I would be.
The cooks meeting on Friday is when you realize what you are up against. That's when you see who is all there. You're best bet is to hope that you don't know what everyone looks like!!! ;-)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

don't they know... it ain't about winnin'!

phil
rookiedad is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #13
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Good thing I have no clue who anyone is except you Scottie!

On the Limey's ... (had to, I'm SO Irish) at first I thought that they had Rocky join their team (that's illegal now)... then reading it correctly I realized they just hired him for a few months. Does that mean that they needed someone to show them how to Q? I'll take my chances against that. I can only hope they have the same Vegas odds as we do.

I was a little ticked off too... I mean, confident is one thing, but this is the JACK!

Humble Pie is for breakfast on Sunday.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote