Moving to Spareribs

itschris

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna start trying some spareribs. BBacks are fine, but I think spares have more flavor. I've never learned how to trim and prepare them properly however. Is there a site that gives good detail on it. I'm not sure how to trim them... i.e., do you leave the "knuckles" or trim them. Is it 2 on the smoker, 2 in the foil, and 2 back in the smoker... all kind of stuff. I didn't see anything on the roadmap.

Thanks guys.

There's also a good video on You Tube, but I'm unable to access it here at work, so I can't send you the link. Do a search on You Tube.

Or ...

Dont trim them at all ... just season 'em and cook 'em whole .... hmmm good.

Trim them to a Saint Louis cut. You will have nice straight ribs, beautiful to look at and delicious as all hell to eat.

I think I'm gonna start trying some spareribs. BBacks are fine, but I think spares have more flavor. I've never learned how to trim and prepare them properly however. Is there a site that gives good detail on it. I'm not sure how to trim them... i.e., do you leave the "knuckles" or trim them. Is it 2 on the smoker, 2 in the foil, and 2 back in the smoker... all kind of stuff. I didn't see anything on the roadmap.

Thanks guys.

I'm partial to this guy's how-to :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Here is how to trim the slab:

7b03ffde.jpg

First, the ribs need to be trimmed and prepared. Turn the slab rib side up and slice off the skirt meat, flush with the bones.

12f47072.jpg

Next, remove the membrane. Start in one corner, work an edge loose then use a paper towel to grip it, and peel it off. If it is really stubborn, coil the ribs with the meat side to the inside of the coil. This will stretch the membrane and make it release easier.

42ab65d8.jpg

Using a sharp knife and starting at the wide end of the slab, cut just above the ends of the bones down the length of the slab, cutting through the cartilage. (You can cut off one or two of the ribs on the small end if you wish). Trim off any large areas of fat. Fat deposits, like the ones seen on the 5th & 6th ribs from the left should be scraped off with a teaspoon or the back of a knife. Many refer to this method as a KC trim. A St. Louis cut still has the skirt meat intact.
Save the strip or “rib tips” and the skirt to cook along with the ribs. They are good snacks or can be chopped later for beans etc.
2f6ff2de.jpg

2153d794.jpg

Here is a picture showing the trimmed ribs, the skirt and the strip (cut into pieces) and the amount of fat trimmed off. Note the triangle shaped area of fat that was trimmed off of the wide end of the rack.
af398963.jpg

I like spares better, and cheaper!! (middle name)!

Absolutely trim spares down to st. louis ribs. they will cook more evenly as the brisket(breastbone) end will take longer to tenderize and you run the risk of over cooking the leaner end of the rack. I'm running a load of spares next week for a party I'm catering so I'll be able to post pics.

I will try it the next time I do ribs. My wife will love it as she is not partial to my caveman style of cooking and eating ribs. Big plus is to use the trimmings for beans yum :icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

The brisket(breastbone) end of the rack should be seasoned the same as the rest of the rack and qued as a snack for the pit boss as they will be ready much sooner. Rib tips are always a favorite at my house.

I cut off the skirt and q it with the ribs, it gets done alot faster and is great for tidbits while the guests are waiting for the ribs..

I normally trim st louis style. as shown above. I was sorely disappointed on the last 3pk of swifts i got. I trimmed em down and they were no bigger than BBs think they might have even been a little smaller. Ive got a gallon bag full of trimmings im gonna cook when the mrs is out of town for riblets for myself.

Thanks a bunch guys! Oddly enough, SAM's carries BB, St Louis, and whole spares. I might just buy the St. Louis already prepared and save the hassle of trimming.

Thanks again!

Thanks a bunch guys! Oddly enough, SAM's carries BB, St Louis, and whole spares. I might just buy the St. Louis already prepared and save the hassle of trimming.

Thanks again!

Often you will still have some clean up to do on the pre trimmed i.e. fat pockets, skirt and loin area. Just follow Thirdeyes pics and pick up where the butcher left off.

Oh and did anybody say save the trimming for baked beans?????

Chris Lilly has a DVD on cooking ribs(he actually has a set of DVD's) and he has a good demo on how to trim the Spares down. They are worth the price. I view them at least a few times each spring and summer as a refresher.

BB's are nice but for my family, spares are more efficient and just as good.

Thanks again!

I have never seen St. Louis cut ribs in the store in Minnesota or Wisconsin - I do it myself when I cook spares.

Just out of curiousity... does anyone just smoke the whole spare? If not... why not? I'm not big fan of the little knuckle things myself, but the meat around them is very tender and flavorful.

Back