עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 09-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What is a "success"?

I don't want to get too philisophical, and I certainly know the answer to this varies greatly based on differing circiumstances, but I think it would be interesting to hear what other teams consider a "succesful weekend results-wise". So just bear with me an generalize a bit.

Assuming a "small to mid size but well attended competition" (say 30-50 teams), what results would you typically be satisfied with?

For example:
- Any walk.
- A top 5 Overall.
- Two Category Top Tens
- etc.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Being our first year, I think we'd call it a success with 1 call and an overall finish in the top 25%.

So far we've done three comps and have yet to get a call (have had two 13ths and a few 18ths) and finished at about the 40% mark everytime - just better than half.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Its a sucess when you finish the weekend and don't think you have wasted a dollar...
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

In priority order...

1) A walk. - Always want to hear our name once.

2) Were WE proud of our entries? On occasion, I'll tell Randy that I don't care what the judges think, I'm proud of that box. That is a great feeling when you can satisfy yourself. It rarely happens.

3) Did we have fun?

4) What teams finished directly above and below us +/- 5? There are A LOT of teams in the local circuit that I respect. If we can finish above a few or be within a couple places of others, then there is pride in that.

Sanctioning is another factor. We always put more value on how we finished in a sanctioned contest versus a non-sanctioned. We've been Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion at a non-sanctioned contest, but feel like it didn't count since it was so small.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
Jeff_in_KC

I know the "right" answer is probably that a success is just having fun with your team and friends and coming away uninjured! I'm pretty competitive myself so while my wife would probably say turning in what WE know are good entries, I'm with Todd in what he said in another thread... I kind of like to get some silk! Cash is secondary. It's gone before you know it but those ribbons and plaques are forever! We have a lot of fun at most contests but the uninjured part seems to elude me almost every week.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I know the "right" answer is probably that a success is just having fun with your team and friends and coming away uninjured! I'm pretty competitive myself so while my wife would probably say turning in what WE know are good entries, I'm with Todd in what he said in another thread... I kind of like to get some silk! Cash is secondary. It's gone before you know it but those ribbons and plaques are forever! We have a lot of fun at most contests but the uninjured part seems to elude me almost every week.
When if comes to silk, blue is my favorite color!!! No better feeling than holding a blue ribbon. We now have five blues: Ribs 2004, Dessert 2005, Brisket 2005, Hot Rub 2007, & Hometown Team 2007. Very few compared to a lot of other teams, but we're proud of each one.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Unread 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

As my first comp is just 2 weeks away, I'm planning on judging my experience with two criteria:

1) Did I have fun?

2) Did I avoid dead last place?

If I can manage those things my first time out, I will call it a success.

Southern Yankee Rotisserie
Cimmeron
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Success to me has changed over the last three competitions. Our first ever comp was in May and our goal was to not be last. We ended up with a walk in brisket and 17th overall out of 38 teams. We felt successful with that. Our next comp we were shooting to be in the top half in the field. We ended up with two walks and 9th out of 23(I think) teams. Our last comp, which was our third, we were shooting for top ten. We eneded up with one walk and ended up 10th overall out of 29 teams. Our next comp is in 3 weeks and it is supossed to have close to 50 teams. I am looking to get atleast one call and get into the top 10. It is quite a goal to achieve and I would consider ourselves successful with a top 20 finish.

Overall we go to have a good time and we always do, but we go to win also.

Jason
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Mrs. Sawdust
On the road to being a farker

First and foremost for us is FUN. We compete as a family and spending time with my sister, brother in law and nephews is always a great weekend. Meeting other Bretheren is always enjoyable as well. We always aim to be in the top 10 overall but since our 5th place at the Rock and Ribfest we have been heading in the wrong direction. Being satisfied with our turn-ins is important as well. One day the judges will agree.
Equipment:
"Sam-I-Am: XL Big Green Egg
"R2 and D2": Twin 22" Weber Smokey Mountains
Brewery:
Custom Made Automated Souped Up Sabco
Mrs. Sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
I know the "right" answer is probably that a success is just having fun with your team and friends and coming away uninjured!
Hey , I said don't get philisophycal!!
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Bigmista

Being a relatively new team (in our 2nd year of competing) I think we have already been successful.

3rd and 4th in chicken
1st, 4th and 5th in ribs
1st and 3rd in pork
1st, 2nd, 2nd and 5th in brisket

I think successful now for us would be to finish well in all categories. I'd like to walk in every category at one contet.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I'd like to walk in every category at one contet.
That is an accomplishment I'd like some day, too. This weekend we walked in three categories which was a first for us. One was sausage, outside of the four that count, but I'll take it!!

Unread 09-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I think the correct answer is when you have a good time and know you put out a good product

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

The big picture answer is of course to be proud of our effort. If I did my best it was a success. With regard to recognition, I want to see 2 or 3 walks, with one of them being top 3 and no score worse than top 33%. Overall of top 10 at a minimum.

If you don't have lofty goals, you'll never get there!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Keri C
On the road to being a farker

If I beat some of the "big boys" in one or more categories, it was a success. (We can't compete around here without cooking against Head Country II, Donny Teel of Buffalo BBQ, Bart Clark of Twin Oaks, and the like.)

If I come in in the top ten overall, it was a success.

If we have people coming back through the People's Choice line a second time to leave their ticket with us and leaving their complements, it was a success. (My PC meats are cooked the same as my comp meats.)

If I get a purty ribbon or two and maybe some $$$, it was a success.

If we all had fun and made some new friends, it was a success.

If I managed to stay out of DAL in anything, it was a success.

If I learned something new from a more experienced competitor, it was a success.

If the wind didn't come up and blow my EZ-Ups away, it was a success.

If I cooked to the best of my ability and was happy with what I turned in (no matter WHAT the judges said) then it was a success.

In my 87-year-old grandmother's opinion, if we had lots of leftovers to deliver to her and her buddies at the senior citizen apartments complex, it was a GREAT success.

If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, at least you shot. Some people never take the time to shoot at all.

Keri C
1 ECB circa 1981 (retired)
1 Stumper clone, size XL
1 Vermont Casting gas grill (in case of emergency)
1 partially converted stumper clone based on a 1965 Montgomery Wards upright freezer
Keri C is offline   Reply With Quote