MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Default Royal Newbie question thread

As an effort not to get the Royal Spots location thread off topic, I'll start a new one for various questions the newbies can ask the vets.

Other than locking your port-a-pot, what other things are essential compared to a regular comp?

What ideas do you vets have to set up a fence, rails, etc around your area to keep the regular spectators out? I'm looking for a low cost effective solution. Will cheap orange constuction fence posted to 2x4's set in concrete filled buckets stand the test of Lot A?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've seen teams at contests with rope lights around their area on 3' stands.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

You would be fine with the silt fence. Concertina wire works well too...

Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC

Bobby, if you're on the Dark Side, bring ear plugs! The parties go on and on and when they stop, the trains coming in and out of the bottoms all night get to grinding on your nerves. The engines roaring and the wheels squealing on the tracks are like nails on a chalkboard. Earplugs helped that. And you really should find a way to keep people out of your camp and away from your food table! I hesitate to call then spectators. Drunken arseholes is more fitting. Hell, they just wandered in and helped themselves to our food. For us, sandbags would have helped to prevent the free-flowing piss from running from where partiers just decided to stop and go on the pavement and have it run right into our camp. Just steer clear of any fights and lock up your women! OK, ok so your women are probably safe. But the food thieves and pavement pee'ers were a frustration. I spent last year's Royal over on the more "serious side" with the Meatheads, VoodooBBQ and Squeal of Approval and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was compared to "out yonder by the tracks"
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
Plowboy

Geesh, sounds like pure hell. Why are we doing this?

Lock your beer cooler, too.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

It's all a matter of perspective, Todd. I was completely unprepared for what I witnessed over there. And I'm sure everyone doesn't have the same experience. But the invitational side (lot B???) is MUCH better.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Jeff, I hope you were the exception not the rule. I've partied 3 different years on the Dark Side and haven't noticed the issues you mentioned. In fact, I don't recall even hearing a train, but that could have been what woke me up at daybreak last year - I'll pack some plugs just incase. I did 2 years in college with my bedroom about 30 yards from the tracks, got used to it pretty quick. Besides, everytime a train goes by it's time for a social right?

I would hope the fence out front helps keep the dine and dashers away. I really don't see us having too much out at one time other then early Friday evening when we have a few dozen friends over. After that, it will be mostly drinks.

The pee is the thing that concerns me, I'm going to take some bails of straw to use where necessary. I'll be up partying on Friday night ... late so I'm not worried about noise that night. Saturday might be a different story. I'll have to try to catch a nap after meat is prepped Saturday afternoon.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

he's too far to be really bothered by the train, I didn't even notice them last year. I believe I was sober when I tried to sleep.

I think a quick mode of trasportation is essencial. Scooter, skateboard, bicycle theres alot of ground to cover and that walking stuff gets old quick.

If you're keeping to yourself no one will mess with you. We didn't have a big tadoo last year, mainly people watching. No one tried to come in our area, I think if there is action in your tent they'll come by. It also probably helped that we were the scariest lookin mofos on that row, not shy to cast out a "what for" when needed.
The one thing that sucks about where you are is the lights. We're up against the fence and after quiet time it's nice and dark. So bring something to cover yer head with.. that is if you're slumming it like me and sleeping outside.

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

We were on the row RIGHT next to the tracks. Keep in mind I live in a smaller quiet town. I hear the train from across town at night here, it's so quiet.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
Jaberwabee
is One Chatty Farker

I'm gonna be there as a spectator, and maybe help a friend in the vendor exhibits (sauce). But all this talk makes me not even want to go and bother anyone to meet them. With my work there are only 3-4 comps I can get to meet anyone. Good luck to all who will be there, I will be in KC all weekend and if anyone needs a beer run or any help let me know.
1 Rib Machine Chargriller Pro Hella Mod (Retired)
2 Bubba Keg (One HOT MOTHER, One LOW N SLOW)
1 22" Performer
Yoder YS-640 is the next cooking device.
Jaberwabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

How concerned should we be about our smokers and other supplies during the awards ceremony? We use a ulitity trailer to load our stuff for most comps. I'm considering renting an enclosed U-Haul trailer or even a small moving truck for the weekend. I'm thinking some secured area might be a necessity.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Last year I had the chance to cook with a team who did the open and the invite. It was probably one of the best times in my life.

On the invite side, it is mild. However, you do have to worry about people walking through your space. Team Q made a line out of string and some 3 foot signs. We were lucky enough to be around a couple of pros. They had the orange fence that you see at construction sights. It kept people out.

This year I am cooking the invite, but not the open. It is hard to cook both when your by yourself. I do not know my space yet, but will blurt it out when I do.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

Bobby, I wouldn't worry about that... the party's over and all the drunks have gone home by that time. It's a ghost town out in the parking lots while the Open awards are going on.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 09-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Will turn in boxes/trays be provided when teams check in or at the cooks meeting? I just started to think how tough that is going to be to complete if the trays are not provided until that after the meeting Sunday morning (starts at 9:30 ??? - I guess the time is OK if you have a large enough team) - while cooking/finishing chicken and ribs.

I gotta bad feeling about this one.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Get your turn in trays when you check in - we have never been to the cooks meeting at the royal - for the open or the invitational.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote