The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Did we do the right thing?

We counldn't go to New Holland because of a family emergency. I mentioned it to Poobah in case he wanted to go instead. My wife (MrsSawdust) knew that there were alot of teams on the waiting list and she has more of a conscience than I do so she called Mel Stolfus to let him know and he agreed to send our money back. Now that New Holland is over, we learned that there were only 70 teams. Evidently they did not fill our spot. Should I have given our spot to Phil and let him fly our banner or did we do the right thing in letting Mel know we can't make it so he could try to give our slot to a team on the waiting list?

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
pigmaker23
is one Smokin' Farker

you did the right thing, its the same thing as phil going back last week at Highland and DQing his sausage entry because he thought it was the right thing to do... Mels the one who lost by not filling the space...
Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
MilitantSquatter

They did fill the spots.. There were 72 teams on the scoresheet all with scores.

Would it have been against any rules for Phil to cook under your team name ? What if a chief cook on the entry was under the weather etc. There is no rule that I know of that says the chief cook must be present or who is allowed to cook under the team name.

Michelle is a good person anyway for what she did. I would hope that due to the last minute circumstances, you can still get preferred application status for next year.

Unread 08-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
SmokeInDaEye

FYI, Guy. Your spot was filled by my Jumping Dog Barbecue which got a perfect score in chef's choice (although they lost the category to Midnight Smokers who also got a perfect score. Not sure what the tie breaker is on that one). So you were represented well.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Sawdustguy

I am glad the spot was filled. I think Michele made the right decision. Frankly, I wasn't sure what to do. Chuck said he would give us one of the advance invites next year. What a great gal I married. After 29 years she still manages to keep my ass in line.

Stupidity for Dummies

Unread 08-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I was supposed to be at New Holland, but I had to pull out at the last minute because of work. Chuck said he would send me one of the advance invites next year. I cannot say enough good things about the people who rn tis contest.

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers
chuckswagonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckswagonbbq View Post
I was supposed to be at New Holland, but I had to pull out at the last minute because of work. Chuck said he would send me one of the advance invites next year. I cannot say enough good things about the people who rn tis contest.
Here! Here! Chuck and Mel run a wondelful contest. You would be hard pressed to find two better contest organizers.

Stupidity for Dummies