oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-14-05
Location: Manorville, Long Island
Default Feedback Cards

We did crappy this weekend at the Hudson Valley Ribfest and I have some suggestions for the KCBS. We were supposed to have comment cards filled out by the judges. We recieved not a single feedback card. On our ribs turn-in we got a 999 and a 343. I am not gonna bash the judges in this post, it's not my style. My gripe is, if I am going to recieve a 343 I would be very interested in finding out why.

After seeing one of the comment cards that another team showed me I can understand why some judges may have opted not to fill them out. The card had a number on it and a few lines on it to fill in a comment. If I was a judge I would have a hard time writing a few sentences about each entry.

I recommend the following system for comment cards. Firstly every judge would fill them out. They are absolutely useless unless someone takes the time to fill them out. Make the cards easier to fill out. Use a check box approach. For instance make check boxes for too salty, too spicey, too bland, overcooked, undercooked etc. so the judge could very quickly check the boxes. While these cards may not help some of the advanced teams it would help the beginners to understand why their entry was given that particular score. It may also help you to understand why you got a 999 and 343 on the same entry.
__________________
Guy (Pitmaster)
BBQ Team: Lawn Guyland Smokers

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!
 
WannaBeBBQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-06
Location: Wantagh, NY
Default

I agree it would be nice.
__________________
Julie
"It is better to have burnt and lost, then never to have barbecued at all"
Swamp Pit BBQ
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
nthole
Babbling Farker

 
nthole's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: St. Louis
Default

This would help us decipher our first scores very much. I'm in complete agreement.
__________________
Neil -- "Easy Bake Master"
NB Bandera [gone to heaven...conveniently located in Long Island, NY]
Rebel 23, WSM A, WSM B, UDS, Easy Bake Oven
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Tinybud
Take a breath!
 
Tinybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-06
Location: Beech Creek, PA
Default

I agree 100%, what's the use of comment cards if not every judge is going to use them. The checkbox idea is genius, would make quick work out of filling in a comment card.
__________________
The Redneck PitKrew (comp. team)
Tiny's Bar-b-que Catering
Char-griller superpro w/side firebox
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 02-07-06
Location: boston ma
Default

We got 2 comment cards both complimenting our first place brisket. While it's nice to receive praise it's not very useful. I was hoping we got a couple comments on our 33rd ribs so we would know what they didn't like about them.
__________________
Steve Farrin
KCBS BOD member. Thank you for your support.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker
 
jminion's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-07-04
Location: Federal Way WA
Default

My feelings are that the judges are instructed to fill out the card if they give you scores like that, if they can't finds something else to do at contest, judging is not for them.

Jim
PS as the score cards are collected and looked over at each table, don't give the judge a choice, make them fill out the card.
__________________
Jim
www.twoloosescrewsbbq.com
Ole Hickory EL/EDx
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Smokin' Gnome BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-31-07
Location: Shippensburg PA
Default

I think you are all on the right page! I would love to know what goes on in a judges head..999 vs.343 what the ......... lol
__________________
A shout out to some awesome sponsors. The BBQ Guru,Dixie Meat Rub, MAKE IT MEATY!Shippensburg Beverage Center and D & T Electric. Thank You. barbequekansascity.com = Chop's Power Injectors. Meat Mitch bbq sauce. WHOMP!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker
 
KC_Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-07
Location: Olathe KS
Default

Chalk up another agreement. I'd also like to know if the judge was certified or not.
__________________
Boondoggle BBQ
Country Smokers 450
Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-14-05
Location: Manorville, Long Island
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
We got 2 comment cards both complimenting our first place brisket. While it's nice to receive praise it's not very useful. I was hoping we got a couple comments on our 33rd ribs so we would know what they didn't like about them.
Were you using the new recipe that you tried at Harpoon or was it the recipe you won a zillion times with?
__________________
Guy (Pitmaster)
BBQ Team: Lawn Guyland Smokers

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
G$
is Blowin Smoke!
 
G$'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-05
Location: Southern Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I think you are all on the right page! I would love to know what goes on in a judges head..999 vs.343 what the ......... lol
That is strange. Were these ribs from the same rack? I could almost understand this on chicken pieces.

We got A comment card in March. Our brisket had "good flavor but tough". We new that, it was obvious. Still appreciated the single comment we got.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker
 
nancee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-27-06
Location: Norwalk, CT
Default that is an excellent idea

We also only got two and they were both complementary. We also got 9s and 3s. Love the checklist idea...
nancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
We did crappy this weekend at the Hudson Valley Ribfest and I have some suggestions for the KCBS. We were supposed to have comment cards filled out by the judges. We recieved not a single feedback card. On our ribs turn-in we got a 999 and a 343. I am not gonna bash the judges in this post, it's not my style. My gripe is, if I am going to recieve a 343 I would be very interested in finding out why.

After seeing one of the comment cards that another team showed me I can understand why some judges may have opted not to fill them out. The card had a number on it and a few lines on it to fill in a comment. If I was a judge I would have a hard time writing a few sentences about each entry.

I recommend the following system for comment cards. Firstly every judge would fill them out. They are absolutely useless unless someone takes the time to fill them out. Make the cards easier to fill out. Use a check box approach. For instance make check boxes for too salty, too spicey, too bland, overcooked, undercooked etc. so the judge could very quickly check the boxes. While these cards may not help some of the advanced teams it would help the beginners to understand why their entry was given that particular score. It may also help you to understand why you got a 999 and 343 on the same entry.
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Q Haven's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-26-06
Location: Orange, CT
Default

We got all 7's, 8's and two 9's for our apples-chef choice turn in. Except one judge, who gave it a 3-5-3. That is the judge who should have filled out a comment card.

887 899 877 777 877 353

Was our first 3's ever. Just strange.

Our comment cards were one who praised our ribs. The other was somewhat constructive, saying our brisket wasn't cut exactly perpindicular to the grain. It said besides that, it said the brisket had great taste and moisture.
__________________
Ted Lorson

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhavenbbq.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party

Last edited by Q Haven; 08-22-2007 at 07:03 AM..
Q Haven is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker
 
nancee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-27-06
Location: Norwalk, CT
Default

we got 3s saturday also...same scenario...makes you wonder
I was truly disgusted
kept hearing about a bad table...

Happened to look at the Michigan scores...top 50 ALL above 600...no wonder Mike Davis told us he was glad he didn't cook in the NE!!!
nancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlor70 View Post
We got all 7's, 8's and two 9's for our apples-chef choice turn in. Except one judge, who gave it a 3-5-3. That is the judge who should have filled out a comment card.

887 899 877 777 877 353

Was our first 3's ever. Just strange.
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
VGuilford
is Blowin Smoke!
 
VGuilford's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-01-07
Location: Raymore, Mo. South of Kansas City
Default

Sounds to like you had someone there that didn't know their arse from a hole in the ground to me.
__________________
See Ya in the Smoke!!!
Vern
MooCow BBQ
www.moocowbbq.com
KCBS CBJ
Texas Smoker
Oklahoma Joe Original
Vermont Castings Gasser
Turkey fryer
Little Smokey Joe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MoFo Chapter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VGuilford is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Sledneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-04-05
Location: Wantagh, NY
Default

I judged this weekend and did not fill out any cards. As for praise that would be a waste of time. The checklist would be great. If we did 1 hour turn in maybe there would be enought time to fill out cards. I really did not understand the spectators watching us judge. It was really annoying. Judging as a spectator sport?
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://bbqilluminati.blogspot.com"]BBQ
Illuminati Blog[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR="Blue"][B]Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody Try Q cards! Ashmont Q-talk 7 02-28-2008 03:07 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum. If it doesnt find results at first, hit search a few times more.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.