The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 08-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
barbedQ
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sanctioned vs Money

I was having a conversation with some buddies last night and they asked me a question that I thought would be a good topic for the forum.

Is sanctioning of an event more important than the money?

If so where do you think the line is.

I told them that as an almost non-entity in the run for Grand or Reserve, I'd go for an event with a bigger prize pool over sanctioning.

Thoughts?

Med Spicewine, 3 El Cheapo Offsets, WSM
barbedQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

I can only speak for my experience in Texas, sanctioning an event does help.

however in Texas there are a lot of bar room or"ice house" cook offs that are not sanctioned that pay big money up wards of 10k they do try to follow most sanctioning rules one rule that most have is the brisket is usually tagged and all the slices must come from that brisket.

for me it all depends on the time of year how many cook offs there are that weekend and of course the money.
Backwoods Chubby
http://sexyslabs.com

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think the answer depends on who's answering it.

For those chasing Team of the Year points, Jack draws, or invitations, then sanctioning is going to rate pretty high. Although, that can easily go out the window for the right money... say $75,000 purse on last year's VS. BBQ Championship.

I cook a non-sanctioned comp each year purely for the money... or hopes of money. I'm not chasing points, but would like a GC in my lifetime, so will try to do as many sanctioned contests as I can. I have a GC from a non-sanctioned contest, but it doesn't mean nearly the same to me.

From my experience, a contest organizer is going to have a better turnout if it is sanctioned, unless they throw A LOT of money at the purse. Dollar for dollar, sanctioning is going to bring you more teams. I think most of it is awareness. Most teams look to their sanctioning body to become aware of contests in their area.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Bigmista

We have been having a similar conversation on the CBBQA site. Our conversation has been a little more specific though. Our question has been what does the KCBS offer that we can't do ourselves? The CBBQA has been sanctioning events that promoters couldn't get sanctioned by the KCBS for whatever reason whether it was timing or cost.

We've seen organizations like the FBA and IBCA sanction their own events and be successful and it. That leads us to ask, what does the KCBS really offer us here in California?

Rules? We can use KCBS rules without sanctioning. We do it frequently now. And we can always come up with our own rules.

CBJ's? We could train our own judges and unlike KCBS we could institute continuing judges.

And with most of the people on board of the KCBS living within 100 miles of KC, I have to ask how much do our concerns matter?

So I think sanctioning does matter but I don't think it has to be KCBS. You can get to the Jack or the AR without being in a KCBS event.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedQ View Post
I was having a conversation with some buddies last night and they asked me a question that I thought would be a good topic for the forum.

Is sanctioning of an event more important than the money?

If so where do you think the line is.

I told them that as an almost non-entity in the run for Grand or Reserve, I'd go for an event with a bigger prize pool over sanctioning.

Thoughts?
Really good question, and I think BigMista answered very well a little bit ago. I'm just thinking out loud here.

In my view, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, I'd rather have the prize money. The problem is, all other things aren't equal. Sanctioning, in many cases, ensures a better run, ostensibly fairer competition, which benefits everyone clearly. I know, apart from a rare occurences, KCBS sanctioning is going to ensure a fair, well administered contest.

There must come a point, however, when the "critical mass" of knowledgeable, capable people becomes available, and sanctioning becomes less important relative to the prize money.

I noticed, barbedQ, that you are from Tempe. I think our 'local' leadership is recently doing a very very very good job in growing the base, and I would trust them in running 'un-sanctioned' events. We (as a team) are not going to be able to compete in enough KCBS events to make season stats meaningful, and will never sniff GC in a giant event, so unsanctioned contests (that are both well run and well attended) seem a good fit.

I'm rambling. Again, thanks for the thoughtful question.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
We have been having a similar conversation on the CBBQA site. Our conversation has been a little more specific though. Our question has been what does the KCBS offer that we can't do ourselves? The CBBQA has been sanctioning events that promoters couldn't get sanctioned by the KCBS for whatever reason whether it was timing or cost.

We've seen organizations like the FBA and IBCA sanction their own events and be successful and it. That leads us to ask, what does the KCBS really offer us here in California?

Rules? We can use KCBS rules without sanctioning. We do it frequently now. And we can always come up with our own rules.

CBJ's? We could train our own judges and unlike KCBS we could institute continuing judges.

And with most of the people on board of the KCBS living within 100 miles of KC, I have to ask how much do our concerns matter?

So I think sanctioning does matter but I don't think it has to be KCBS. You can get to the Jack or the AR without being in a KCBS event.
But the question still remains, is it more the money or the sanctioning: KCBS, FBA, NEBS, CBBQA, or IBCA? I'm guessing the basis of the question is about attracting teams to an event.

SIDEBAR: I only know of four that live in the KC area. I'm not sure if all of these people are board members still.

Troy Black - no
Donna McClure - yes
Ed Roith - Yes
Rod Gray - yes
Paul Kirk - yes
Mike Lake - no
Don Harwell - no
Jim Minion - No
Merl Whitebrook - no
Wayne Lohman - ???
Linda Mulane - no

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Last edited by Plowboy; 08-19-2007 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: Donna McClure lives in KC metro

Unread 08-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

This really only come into play in the smaller contests
$3000 and below types
If you have $10,000 you have the $ to make it all happen

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I'm always bothered by events that say we don't need KCBS, we'll just use their rules.

KCBS has built the circuit, sorted out the rules and now you'll just blow them off and use their rules and in many cases their scoring program without paying them? Seems wrong to me.

As for the original question, I'd say sanctioning is more important than money. I've seen many non-sanctioned events create a lot of bad blood.
drbbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I'm always bothered by events that say we don't need KCBS, we'll just use their rules.
I sort of agree with this, especially if the rules are literally lifted 'word for word'. However, KCBS did not invent food judging, table captains, weighted scores, etc.

For perspective, one thing some of the more seasoned competitiors here should know is that some folks, in some parts of the country, may have only 3 feasible contests a season. In this scenario, it really is a valid question to ask how valuable sanctioning is.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
benjet
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I think the answer depends on who's answering it.

For those chasing ....... Jack draws, or invitations, then sanctioning is going to rate pretty high.
umm, pls explain this...where does sanctioning come into play here at all?
benjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjet View Post
umm, pls explain this...where does sanctioning come into play here at all?
You are right, it doesn't. State Championships not sanctioning. Thanks for correcting.

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
benjet
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
sanctioning is going to ensure a fair, well administered contest.
As a contest organizer this is now 0 and 2 in my book. While I realize that others have not had the issues I have had, bottom line is that I, as an organizer now have very little faith left in the system that you as competitors are trying to tell me is the "right" way to do things.

This better be a good sell.

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjet View Post
As a contest organizer this is now 0 and 2 in my book. While I realize that others have not had the issues I have had, bottom line is that I, as an organizer now have very little faith left in the system that you as competitors are trying to tell me is the "right" way to do things.

This better be a good sell.
What issues have you had ?

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Why?

As a competitor it's nice to know that we have a sanctioning body that has our back. What if an organizer (not you, this is hypothetical) says they have x amount of dollars in prize money and when the contestants get there they only have half of x. Sanctioning bodies, such as KCBS, have a letter from the organizer that states the amount of prize money that is to be given away at their contest and it's guaranteed. Rules and regulations set forth by the sanctioning body are used and enforced by representatives of the sanctioning body that are there to administer cooks/judges meetings and tally the scores.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
benjet
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
What issues have you had ?
I will be taking my list of issues up with the sanctioning body directly and will publicly air them after they have had a chance to respond, so far they have chosen not to.