עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Guru Golf Club?

Does anyone have one of these propane torch / grill tool thingies? What do you think? It looks more compact than a weed burner that needs to hook up to a big ol' tank, and I like the idea of its portability. Does it work? Does it hold up?

I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 02:48 AM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

A lot of Eggers are happy with them, I think the Mapp gas burns hotter than propane. BBQ Guru has them on their site and I saw the torches at Ace Hardware.
If you don't want to deal with a large propane tank, Harbor Freight and Mr Heater sells adapters for the disposable tanks for @ $15

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Mapp does burn hotter.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

The guru guys don't actually use MAPP gas in these... If I rememebr the story correctly I believe Fred found out first hand how hot MAPP gets (about 3x hotter than propane)... they have since just used propane.

I looked at one of these at Harpoon, and it is a pretty useful tool. The design on the torch allows you to bury it down into a charcoal basket, chimney, firebox... and have it ignite your fuel without having to worry about the flame being smothered. It comes with a few attachments so you can hang it on your smoker while its working-- so you don't have to sit there holding the tank. From what I saw of it, it seems pretty decently constructed... and looked like the Guru guys had been using theirs for a while, and it was still in very good shape.

Seems like a safer alternative to a weed burner, and I was going to buy one... sort of spaced out on the last day and forgot to stop back at Fred's site.
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Just and FYI..

i have somethig similar.. just a propane torch with a hose, its used for sweating pipes without having to hold the cyliner in all directions.

I used to bring it to contests to light the lump in the firebox. I would just stick it thru the damper, lay it on the grate and let it burn till the coals ignited.

did that during a contest once while replenishing the coalbed. Meat was in the cooker..

My teammate(chad), mentioned that i had a propane assist going DURING the contest. Fark..... BRAIN FART!

Now, I really doubt that the small flame thats shooting out of a torch into a pile of lump charcoal can have any impact on cooking temps, but it was in a competition, and it IS ILLEGAL to have gas burning with meat in the chambers. Anyone who wanted to make a stink out of it probably could have, and been right.

Just my dime..

now.. back on topic.. the 21$ setup on amazon works well for lighting the chimneys or getting a pile of chunks going.. but i still prefer using my turkey fryer or side car. they cover a larger area quicker.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
Chris Nickelson
Full Fledged Farker

another way around that is to get a turkey fryer setup.
place the chimmney on it and let the burner start the coals.
this eliminates forgeting the torch in the box,
"Done it" oops.

two brinkman R2D2's
Trailer Mounted H & S 2000 Pit

CBJ# 14974 :cool:
Chris Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Norcoredneck

Looked at torch Poohbah posted and also seen this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B000PD2906

Uses smaller tank.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Norcoredneck

Had to hop my turkey fryer up
Click for demo.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
swamprb

Rick posted a pic of his on another thread, but this is the same adapter I use. Also the piezo starter is very convienient!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I want one of the flamethrowers like the one Norco's got. I really do. In fact, here's a video of brother Norco in action at the bash he hosted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8LM_rIPI-I

Now I'm thinking I want a flamethrower.... no... must resist... need to supersize...
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote