MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Thawley
Take a breath!

Default UUDS™ Foot-Operated Air Vents & Other Mods

Finally got to taking some photos of the Ultimate Ugly Drum Smoker™ MkI. The MkI is a development prototype and far uglier than it needs to be. But there's no sense gettin' all fancy before it's been proven.

The big news on the UUDS™ is the bottom mounted, foot-operated air vents (patent pending). No need for bending down, no more adding or removing plugs or foil... These babies are hip like a padded girdle and are what put the "ultimate" in the UUDS™.

WFO (open position)

Closed position. Note the effortlessness of the closing action. Literally minutes of painstaking design and development have gone into the lever action so that even an average Brethren can do it with out ever having to set down his beer...

Either end of the foot-operated air vents' range has an ergonomically designed stop with positive, tactile feedback. Much like the controls of a fine German automobile, the controls fall easily to hand... um, foot... with little to no adaptation period needed.

Volumetric airflow thru each foot-operated air vent has been precisely calculated to reach an optimum temperature of 225* at the first adjustment level on the low side of the operational range.

The key to the foot-operated air vent's original design (patent pending) is the use of a special Honda B20b valve spring and retainer system. This user-adjustable feature allows each individual to uniquely taylor the valve adjustment tension to suit his or her foot.

As is often the case with development prototypes of this sort, some things evolve more rapidly than others. We are thus already using the MkII fire-basket. The MkII fire-basket incorporates the ash pan as an integral component of the basket which reduces mess and ash (all over your driveway and clothes) by a significant amount.

In keeping with our efforts to develop good partnerships with component manufacturers and suppliers, we are please to announce the addition of the MAVERICK MOD MOUNT to the UUDS™ family of features. Recent supplies of the remote probe unit at Costco for $21 made this low-cost option too hard to pass up.

We hope you like the UUDS™ MkI. Your feedback matters to us. So please, tell us what you think.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Nice feet!

Great work on the vents and basket!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Dude, your hands look like my feet!!! Very cool additions/modifications. I recently got the catalog from Militant squatters company and they had UDS mobility carts. they called them drum roller, but they looked perfect for making the UDS mobile. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Schweet!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawley View Post

Ingenious... Toe-operated double-bung air-vent

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
swamprb

How does it handle in the curves? With those beefy rear tires and the high center of gravity, I have concerns of a possible roll over with the Honda B20b retainer bolt holding the drum level. JMO I'd love to take it for a spin!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/for...0&daysprune=30

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
thirdeye

So, the air intakes are beyond the diameter of the charcoal basket/bucket right? Is there any concern of the intakes allowing fat drippings to leak out the bottom? If one hottie fell out too the situation could get western pretty fast.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
So, the air intakes are beyond the diameter of the charcoal basket/bucket right? Is there any concern of the intakes allowing fat drippings to leak out the bottom? If one hottie fell out too the situation could get western pretty fast.
Good point. I didn't have any dripping/leaking on Sunday, but that doesn't mean I won't eventually. I'll keep an eye on that. Maybe need to incorporate a fat drip diverter (FDD™) for the MkII...

While we're on the subject, has anyone ever posted a photo of the BDS fire basket? Be interesting to see how Rocky makes them.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
keale
Babbling Farker

I thought I was the only lazy one, that hated bending over to stable tempertures! Thats why I did my double-extended air valve intakes!
You guys that can weld impress the heck out of me! I'm so jealous!
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Beertender
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You need a caster wheel on the front for easier maneuverability in the turns and for front stability and leveling. Also maybe a cane and some where to hang it for driver stability during the smoke. Maybe even a walker. Hmmmm just gave me an idea for a mobile smoker built from a walker with tennis balls on the front legs and all. You could take it too the cooler with you !
Beertender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Fine German auto? No... I'm thinking more like a 26 jewel Swiss Movement.

That's things sweet!
itschris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #12
parrothead

I think you have enough room between your big toe and the next one for an extra toe. Just like mine.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #13
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Very nice clean feet.... Oh yeah... the drum mods look awesome as well!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
How does it handle in the curves? With those beefy rear tires and the high center of gravity, I have concerns of a possible roll over with the Honda B20b retainer bolt holding the drum level. JMO I'd love to take it for a spin!

Brian
You could get a lot of laughs from this outfit. Maybe another hitch for the UDS?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
Grillman40
Full Fledged Farker

Thawley...they dont have any manicurist up your way?? Dont ever do that to me again dude

Love the mods though..nice job!

Those tires dont get too hot that close to the drum?

Lang 84 Deluxe w/drum grill addition
WSM
Bar-B-Chef Grill
Stainless Bar-B-Chef built in
Stainless Gran Turbo Gasser built in
86 Gal Monster Drum in da works

Retired U.S. Marine
Grillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote