喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #31
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

$500 to $600.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #32
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
Cost of 16' Trailer and 3 smokers $ 10,000
Towing Vehicle $ 40,000
Meat $ 200
Supplies $ 300
Fees $ 200

The pleasure of setting up in the outdoors, getting rained on, bitten by you name it, nasty port potties, taste scores of 4 or 5 when its the best product you ever made.... PRICELESS !!!

For everything else, theres Visa when you just dont have anymore cash...

Yeah,

Except that Eric is low on Meat and Supplies by 1.5 to 2X...!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #33
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
Sorry Brian. I didn't mean to step on your thread. I looked for a similar thread but did not see yours.

Thanks for all of the responses. I don't feel so bad now as it would appear we're in a reasonable range.

So let me get this straight. We brethren spent countless days of preparation, hours of travel, and upwards of $1,000 for the privilege of cooking food for people we don't know under sometimes deplorable conditions to be subjected to sometimes unfair critcism with the hope of being validated by hearing our name called. And then because it makes so much sense we repeat the process several times each year.

What is wrong with us?
But it is so much fun..... and it is only money... it grows on trees, remember????

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA BBQ PIRATES View Post
Our first competition is next week and since it's just my wife & I there is no one to split the cost with. I don't even want to thing about what we've spent on "stuff". It all adds up quick.

Same here....

I too average about 500-600 depending on how far I travel and the cost of gas. Since I don't smoke or drink.... it is my smoking and drinking money...

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #34
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good thread! For a newbie, I needed an idea how deep into this "hobby" I could get. Can't wait for my next comp!!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #35
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We average about $400 per contest also.

Next season we want to try and get everyone to chip in a sum of around $200-250. Use that money for reg. and meat purchases of a determined amount of contests. That way we are not scrambling to see who is going to pay for which contest. It will also help during those times when money is down. Extras for each contest (beer and other food) will not be included in that sum. We have 5 core members, I hope it works. May do that twice during the season once at the begining and then midway... who knows it's still in the planning stage.

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #36
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu BBQ View Post
We average about $400 per contest also.

Next season we want to try and get everyone to chip in a sum of around $200-250. Use that money for reg. and meat purchases of a determined amount of contests. That way we are not scrambling to see who is going to pay for which contest. It will also help during those times when money is down. Extras for each contest (beer and other food) will not be included in that sum. We have 5 core members, I hope it works. May do that twice during the season once at the begining and then midway... who knows it's still in the planning stage.
Planning on a similar plan for next year. This way we can do more comps and the cost is split up. Gonna figure out the details this winter, but like Swamprb said, I'm already looking foward to next year!!!!!

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:08 AM   #37
acorette
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue bbq View Post
...and gas for lighting the charcoal
I hope you mean propane and not unleaded.

Big Blue BBQ any relation to IBM? Just curious.

Custom Southern Yankee rotisserie trailer towed by the 8-Ball RV
Brinkmann Cimarron, Weber One Touch Gold (22.5), Camp Chef 2 burner stove + Griddle, 10, 16 and 20 qt Dutch ovens, Scottims Pit Grille
acorette is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #38
Mitchelina
Got Wood.

I see Timmy declined to answer this but I'll take a stab and guess:
$150 entry fee
$25 in electricity or fuel for generator
$100 in meat (Timmy buys on sale, and we usually cook only one brisket, butt, 2 slabs of ribs and a big pkg of thighs, maybe 16 or 18-- which makes us different from most teams, I imagine)
$25 in fuel if it's reasonably close by (most are)
$50 in misc groceries and beer (only 2 of us and we rarely have guests)
maybe $30 in replenishables - charcoal, ice, smoker wood, rub, etc.
maybe another $20 for side categories, depending on what and how many

Chit. It is expensive but we do a pretty good job of spreading out the costs. It's not really much more than it would cost for us to go camping - but when we camp we have no chance of getting any money back.
Mitchelina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #39
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

It runs me about $600 per comp.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #40
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Min 500 bucks but I'm sure I'm accidentally on purpose leaving out a bunch (BUT....IF YOU CAN FIND ME A SPONSER WORTH 500 I'LL TAKE EM).

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #41
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Just as moment of levity here--

When I was much younger, I lusted over a sports car (biggo bucks) on a lot.
I asked the sales dude--"What would the payments be?"
He said--"If ya gotta ask, ya can't afford it!"

I have kinda got that way about comps.
I am so tired of worrying about the $$.
I just "DO IT"

Hell, if I did not do comps, I would waste my money (and wasting is what it is for me) on something else!

Might as well go and visit with my friends and "see what happens at awards".

Just a thought.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #42
Smokin Diablo
Knows what a fatty is.

We average $500.00 a comp but there are 3 of us and we split the total cost right down the middle. We all are in charge of purchasing cretin items a getting coolers together. We just keep our receipts and split it up after the competition. We did pretty good this year so most times we had some winnings to offset the spend. My two team mates are auditors so the books are easy to keep for us. I just wish we had a sponsor and then we wouldn't have to worry about how much we spent, but that's for a different thread.
CBJ #21680
Gentleman Jack and a $10.00 cigar
Smokin Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #43
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quite a spread of costs. I did keep track this year of "costs" and good thing as I took a GC and need to file tax receipts so I don't have to pay. Turns out I'm down this year but not much. 5 contests - about $600 per. That includes gas but does not include general supplies like foil, steam pans, etc. Does include Slabs products, meat, garnish, ice, gas, entry, some food for the cook and usually a little jack, bottled water, gatorade. Used to spend at least 200 more but had some team mates to feed and we consumed much more booze. I found out being serious about competing and booze don't go together very well.

Does not include motorhome, trailer, all the smokers, other gear and new toys. I now have and FEC100 with IQ4 in the garage. Need more space for it in the trailer. Tonto1117 if you read this I might have a good deal for you on a used golf cart and I plan to keep my existing trailer. Fiscial responsibility rears it's ugly head again.

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #44
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Quite a spread of costs. I did keep track this year of "costs" and good thing as I took a GC and need to file tax receipts so I don't have to pay. Turns out I'm down this year but not much. 5 contests - about $600 per. That includes gas but does not include general supplies like foil, steam pans, etc. Does include Slabs products, meat, garnish, ice, gas, entry, some food for the cook and usually a little jack, bottled water, gatorade. Used to spend at least 200 more but had some team mates to feed and we consumed much more booze. I found out being serious about competing and booze don't go together very well.

Does not include motorhome, trailer, all the smokers, other gear and new toys. I now have and FEC100 with IQ4 in the garage. Need more space for it in the trailer. Tonto1117 if you read this I might have a good deal for you on a used golf cart and I plan to keep my existing trailer. Fiscial responsibility rears it's ugly head again.
PM Sent

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #45
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

We can usually get by for about $500 including entry fees...but entry fees are pretty cheap in MO, KS, NE and IA. I also buy as much in bulk as I can...rub, sauce, meat, any ingrediants I can get and of course foil pans and other supplies too.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote