Gulf Coast 'Que

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Well fellas me and the wife will be heading down to Gulf Shores, Al at the end of this month, staying in Foley specifically. Any suggestions for good BBQ places to eat. I'm pretty familar with the good seafood places down there, but would like to try a good 'que place if there is one.

Don't know any good BBQ places on that side of the bay.
You would have to come over to the Mobile side. The Brick Pit on Old Shell Road is the best BBQ you can buy in the area.

Long Way to drive from Foley! (60 or so miles)

Sorry I can't help. Just eat your fill on seafood. Best in the world!
Be sure to get to LuLu's at Orange Beach. Stop at Hazel's for breakast one morning. Shrimp Basket in Foley is a great place for lunch.

Yup, i was afraid of that. LuLu's is a blast and we normaly eat at shrimp basket a good bit. The wife is fond of Papa Rocko's so we normally stop in there a good bit. We really liked The Fish Net, but the last huricane took that one away.

Fill me in on Hazel's where is that at?

Hazel's is on the Main drag in Orange Beach. It is the place for Breakfast!

I found you a BBQ place only about 20-30 minutes away in Robertsdale.(north of the beach on HW59)

Hickory House BBQ
22951 State Highway 59
Robertsdale, AL
251-947-8720

A friend of mine at work said the Ribs were FINE!

You will drive past them on your way to the beach! Highway 59 splits into a divided highway at Robertsdale. In fact the town itself is in the middle! The Hickory House will be on your left right before the highway splits. (north of Robertsdale)
Be sure to leave a "report" if you stop by. I will be stopping myself the next beach trip.

Well back from the trip. Lots and Lots of good seafood and some well, bad BBQ. Tried out the hickory house in robertsdale on our way home tonight. Good portion sizes. The wife and I both had pork sandwiches and I had a rib added to my order to try them out. Watched the lady pull a boston butt out of a steam tray, tear off a chunch and chop it. Had a good smoke ring and looked moist. That is about the only good things I can say. No bark in the pulled pork and it was almost soggy from being in the steam tray too long. The rib was horrible, very salty almost ham like. No bark or smoke flavor whatsoever. The BBQ sauce came either 'original' 'smokey' or 'hot' It was three different flavors of BullsEye brand BBQ that you can buy in the grocery store, not real good. At least they served the sacue on the side. Basically stay away from this place. Now my wife is ragging me to move down to the foley/loxely area so we can open up a joint. There is hardly a BBQ place for miles around there. If this place can stay open any of us from this site could make a killing down there! Tons of great seafood though. Always glad to try a new 'que place out, and really hate to give a bad report, but that place was just not good at all.

Gotta be honest in your reports. Thanks. I used to go to Gulf shores and went to a place on the Beach called The Pink Pony Pub. Is it still there?
Also remember the Florida Bama lounge.

Sorry I directed you to a bad place! I asked around at work and it was the ONLY place anyone could think of in that area.

We could use a good BBQ joint down there!

Hope you enjoyed the seafood. Did you get into the jellyfish? They were bad a couple of weeks ago.

The pink pony is still there, one of the few places that seem to survive every storm. The jelly fish were bad, worse this year than the last 2 or 3.

Back