ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Lamb

Does anyone have any good recipes for Lamb. Inviting a cusomter over and he eats alot of lamb so I thought I would give it a try. Also doing a brisket for soem home flavor.

Thanks in advance.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

I think Chad does He he he
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know Diddley about lamb.
But, I found this from someone who does:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...%22leg+lamb%22

Some thing to read while you are waiting for a real answer.

TIM

"cut and paste" Mod
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
creepyrat
On the road to being a farker

I also used that version The Kapn posted, it is very tasty, I used allot of mint from the garden. The stuffing did not have much of a flavor I enjoyed but it does a great job of flavoring the meat.
creepyrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
cayenne
On the road to being a farker

I like lamb a lot, but, I've never tried the smoker I don't think. I don't like mint with lamb much, but, I've done a good marinade type thing and done the lamb on the grill, or on a rotisserie, and had great results.

I like to use the food processor to whip together something like:

2 TBSP rosemary
1-2 TBSP Thyme leaves
6-8 cloves garlic
2-3 whole bay leaves
1 TBSP whole black peppercorns
1 TBSP worcestershire sauce
2-4 TBSP Creole (or dijon if you can't find it) mustard
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Whip all this up in the food processor till it makes a paste. I've usually butterflied the bone out of the lamb, and rubbed this inside and outside, and it is best if you can do this and let sit at least overnight.

When grilling (and careful, this can do some serious flaming), put in on a grill fairly high heat...let the coals start to get good grey on them. Grill for about 11-12 min per side for rare...a nice black crust forms...just keep lid on...and water bottle for major flames.

I've also tied the roast back up again, and done on a rotisserie over charcoal, but, slower cook times...about an hour I think?

I'd say you could also smoke this too....I've not give it a try, and until I can get my bandera back from storage..I don't really have a way to smoke larger cuts of meat these days.

I'm not sure of the recipe..is off the top of my head, but, something tells me I may have posted this previously...give a search to see what I may have said last time.

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydabill View Post
Does anyone have any good recipes for Lamb. Inviting a cusomter over and he eats alot of lamb so I thought I would give it a try. Also doing a brisket for soem home flavor.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on a beer break from prepping the two loin racks of lamb I'm doing tonight. These will get cracked pepper, Hawaiian salt and a slather of garlic rosemary butter. I'll let them sit 2 hours or so then grill at 375°. One rare and one medium rare.

But back to your question.....Common cuts are shoulder, legs, chops and loin racks. Basically your choices are marinated, boned out and stuffed, rubbed and grilled or barbecued (I usually rub and mop barbecued lamb) Can you give us some idea of how or what cut you are interested in?

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

I marinade a boned leg in yoghurt, mint, cumin, lemon, garlic, etc overnight in the fridge. Scrape off marinade and then cook it on the kettle (with lid covering). Cherry wood works well.

I'll try digging out the recipe tonight.

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
Weber One-Touch Platinum Kettle - 57cm
Weber Smokey Joe Silver

GamerTag: CarbonToe

Film Noir. Back when men were men and broads were dames.
CarbonToe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #8
thirdeye

Downloads: 2

Here is a shot from the grill cam. Or should I call it the lamb cam??

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Last edited by thirdeye; 07-04-2007 at 08:46 AM..
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

I usually do french racks(like pictured above), and converted a few lamb haters with this recipe. The marinade is:

bottle italian dressing and 3-4-5 cloves of garlic and a tablespoon or 2 of dried rosemary. Mix them in a food processor or blender(I use a submersion blender) till the garlic is chopped up. Then add about a tablespoon of oregano and half tablespoon of sage and thyme and a light half cup of lemon juice. Blend a gain for a few seconds.

the mix will be a milky white.

marinade for at least and hour, up to 4.

Cook in the smoker at 275, pull at 120 and toss on a grill for a few seconds to finish.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Here is a shot from the grill cam. Or should I call it the lamb cam??

Looking darn tasty, 3-I! For leg of lamb, I marinade them in red wine, minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, crushed black pepper and rosemary. Marinade a couple hours, add sea salt and pepper then grill to medium/medium rare and slice.

I also have some lavender-sented sea salt which is AMAZING on lamb chops.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
lazyjacres
Take a breath!

I cook the frenched lamb rack, except I cut them apart into single chops.
Marinate them in this for about 3 hrs.:
-
1 cup mediterranean soy sauce (soyvey)
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1 tb. hot sauce (not tobasco)
1 tsp liquid smoke

Right before you are ready to grill them , cut a small pocket in each one and stuff with chopped blue cheese.

Grill them on a hot fire for about 2 minutes a side (depending on size) for medium rare.

They are KILLER...............
Rebel "28"
Gateway Drum Smoker
Certified BBQ Judge
Contest Organizer
KCBS Contest Rep
lazyjacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

That does look good. I don't have the patience to clean the bones!!!

Here's my recipe (IMO the second best lamb recipe in the world!!!):

Bone a Leg of Lamb, stab it all over with fork.

Whizz together the following in a blender: 1 cup plain Yogurt, Grated zest of and juice of 2 Lemons, Handful of fresh mint, a few spring onions (scallions) or 1/2 onion or a few shallots, 1/2 bulb garlic crushed, 1-2tbls Olive oil, 2 tbls fresh or dried tyme, 2 tbls ground black pepper, 1 tbls ground cumin, 1 tbls ground sea salt.

Smear all over Lamb. Pop in plastic bag and pop into fridge overnight. Give it a good squeeze every now and then to squish it all about.

Next day prepare grill for indirect cooking - Medium heat. Scrape marinade off lamb and pat dry. Put it over coals for a few mins each side to get those crispy bits going. Throw a handfull or two of wood (I use cherry) onto coals and remove lamb from over coals (indirect heat) and pop lid on kettle. Cook until done normally 45mins. It should be pink inside!

Eat with Pitta pockets (or white bread) with fresh mint chopped into yoghurt or BBQ sauce n yoghurt with green salad stuff, slaw etc etc

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
Weber One-Touch Platinum Kettle - 57cm
Weber Smokey Joe Silver

GamerTag: CarbonToe

Film Noir. Back when men were men and broads were dames.

Last edited by CarbonToe; 07-05-2007 at 02:21 AM..
CarbonToe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
elrcastor
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonToe View Post
That does look good. I don't have the patience to clean the bones!!!

Here's my recipe (IMO the second best lamb recipe in the world!!!):

Bone a Leg of Lamb, stab it all over with fork.

Whizz together the following in a blender: 1 cup plain Yogurt, Grated zest of and juice of 2 Lemons, Handful of fresh mint, a few spring onions (scallions) or 1/2 onion or a few shallots, 1/2 bulb garlic crushed, 1-2tbls Olive oil, 2 tbls fresh or dried tyme, 2 tbls ground black pepper, 1 tbls ground cumin, 1 tbls ground sea salt.

Smear all over Lamb. Pop in plastic bag and pop into fridge overnight. Give it a good squeeze every now and then to squish it all about.

Next day prepare grill for indirect cooking - Medium heat. Scrape marinade off lamb and pat dry. Put it over coals for a few mins each side to get those crispy bits going. Throw a handfull or two of wood (I use cherry) onto coals and remove lamb from over coals (indirect heat) and pop lid on kettle. Cook until done normally 45mins. It should be pink inside!

Eat with Pitta pockets (or white bread) with fresh mint chopped into yoghurt or BBQ sauce n yoghurt with green salad stuff, slaw etc etc

what temp are you running when you cook it?
elrcastor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Skidder
Babbling Farker

My recipes are the same as all the above. My advice would be to not cook lamb in it's own fat. This to me is why some don't like the so called gamey taste. I do lamb on the rotisserie or the grill to let the fat drip off of it. I tried it in the oven in a pan and couldn't eat it and we love lamb. Good luck.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote