The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #16
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
I cooked with Buuba and Jeff at the contest in Sedalia and I know they can cook a 13 lb brisket in about 3 hours lol. Those drum smokers just get after it. I'll bet you didnt do antthing wrong, they just concentrate and hold heat well.
I know of others who do that as well. Just got to watch the temps closely as you have little room for error when cooking one that way.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #17
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Meat Burner Man,
Put an oven thermometer on your rack with the meat. Your smoker temp gauge may not be right.
Calibrate, calibrate and calibrate.
Your smoker temp on that grate with the meat may have been 300.
Smoke On!!!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #18
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I find this to be a quicker cooker in general. Briskets done in a third of the time. I also found that the wrapping portion of the process is much quicker and has to be watched very closely. It will jump in a hurry.

For those of you cooking fat side down, what are you seeing in regards to how much fat melts away.? Are you trimming anything off b/f putting it on.?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
Grillman40
Full Fledged Farker

I think my wife wants to farkin stuff me in my smoker....for good!!

So...count your blessings brother congrats!

Lang 84 Deluxe w/drum grill addition
WSM
Bar-B-Chef Grill
Stainless Bar-B-Chef built in
Stainless Gran Turbo Gasser built in
86 Gal Monster Drum in da works

Retired U.S. Marine
Grillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #20
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

Kinda repeating what others have said, but my cousin in cajun country uses a drum smoker (somewhat), and it cooks similar to his cajun microwave except with smoke flavor. ie: it cooks faster even at same temps. I think it is because the smoke and heat doesn't flow over it like an offset, but kinda surrounds it like a pressure cooker. If you find the grate temp was correct, just chaulk it up to "fast cooking cooker" and a "great hunk o meat".

And I guess you know now, don't cooler something that is already too hot, stop the process of cooking ASAP. Throw some good sauce on it and eat it on a bun... yum! Practice Practice Practice!
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Char-Griller Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote