The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Multi "assortments" of same meat

Do you think it's wise to put 3 parts of one meat catagory in a box?
Does it get judged differently?

What I mean is. With Pork or Brisket, some like the ends, shredded, pulled and or sliced. I've seen on the board and even turned a box with a variety inside.

But today I was thinking... while eating contest left overs.. what do the judges do when presented with that arrangment? Do they eat some of each before judging? do they only eat what they prefer? what if the sliced meat was drier than the pulled?

thoughts please.

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That the $64,000 question. I am a backyard guy that does one or two comps a year. Very interested in the experienced bros take on this.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Common sense says turn in your best meat. Sometimes that might be difficult to distinguish if you think you've done particularly well. People can and often do shoot themselves in the foot by turning in two parts from the same meat. I think I did it to myself earlier this year with pork... got TOO much sauce in the chopped pork and I believe it killed us even though we had nice medallions. I've turned in dry sliced brisket along with moist point and scored low. My advice is if there's any doubt that one part might not be top quality and the other is great, go with one part of the meat.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

In judge class, we were encouraged to sample every thing in the box so I do. I think it is only fair to the cook that all cuts provided are sampled and the score should be based on the total entry and not just on the individual sliced, pulled, or chopped portions.
-KCBS Judge #21924
-36" Kingfisher Combo
-New Braunfels Bandera (rescued)
-Weber 22.5" Kettle (rescued)
-A homemade trailer cooker
-Concession trailer nicknamed "The Dawg House"
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/BarkinDawgsBBQCatering[/URL]
Puppyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

AS a judge we are encouraged to take a sample of each (so make sure you have 6 pieces of each). The wayI judge is take a sample of each, judge each seperately and then give an overall average. So if sliced brisket got a 9 and a burnt end was a 7 the over all score would be an 8. This would apply for each score, except appearance of course.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Put in what you think is best... Appearance is the least of the scores, so don't put something in just because it will look good if it's not something you'd want to be judged on. A judge may take ONLY that meat, and that's what the score would be based on. Think of everything you put in as your potential score.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote