THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which farking Pellet Grill?

• Rec Tec

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Grilla

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Other (please explain which)

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PatAttack

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Another which one thread. Again!

I know there are tens of manufacturers to choose from.

But!

If you were going to choose between Rec-Tec & Grilla, which would it be?

Looking to simplify as much as possible as most of you know I work way too much. (Although it has slowed down, it's going to ramp back up soon.)

Budget is around what that "stimulus" government loan was. Say $<1K.

I've read up on most of them but have kind of settled on those two, unless you know of something better for the $.

So, fire away 'ya Farkers! I erected my poll so you can vote.

Last edited:
They are both good. I prefer Rec Tec mainly because of the wifi. Supposedly Grilla is coming out with a wifi controller this fall however. I am 100% happy with my RT590. I would also take a look at Pellet Pro. They have a vertical pellet grill that looks awesome.

Another Brethren about to enter into the wonderful world of pellet cooking... love it! Between the 2 you mentioned, personally I’d choose the Grilla Grills. I really like what I see in their in product, company, service, marketing, customer base, etc. I think you’ll have a tough time finding a better cooker at that price point.

Rectec. Heavy construction, strong features and support. Grilla's good too but if feels like they are a generation behind.

I'm going with Traeger, simply because I was given one. It is my first time using one, so I have no other reference. I will say, it's not a great grill, but low and slow/set and forget, it's really nice.

Matt

So if money is no object, Cookshack hands down is the most amazing pellet cooker I have ever used. True commercial quality, but you do pay for it.

I've owned Cookshack x2, Green Mountain x2, Traegar, RecTec x2 - and they have all been decent cookers.

My RT-2500 BFG has a hot side which drives me crazy, and I have been working with support (their support is amazing) to rectify. This would be a non-issue if it wasn't my competition cooker. Having a hot side isn't always a bad thing, but it is when you have processes and procedures based on specific cook temps. The BFG with its dual smokestack design appears to be the only cooker that suffers this from RecTec based on my knowledge. My RecTec bullseye is an awesome little cooker and is my SCA steak comp cooker.

WiFi is awesome and takes a lot of the concern and guess work out of the process so I'd call that a necessity now simply because it is widely available so why not.

This is just one farker's opinion...

Pit Boss Platinum series is $750 which leaves you $250 for pellets and meat. New gen controller should be as good as anything out there.

I'm not a big fan on the rectec styling, but to each their own. I looked hard at the grillas and like them alot, but ended up with a GMG DB Prime, the pizza attachment, cover, plus some pellets to get started all for < 1k after tax. Bought it mostly for smoking + chicken type temps, not really for grilling, plus the pizza which is stellar. Been fantastic so far! I've been very pleased with my bang for the buck.

Pat I have owned just about all of them at some point, still have several Cookshack's we use for business in the winter month's when the stickburner's get washed out and oiled up for storage but my favorite cookers have been the Green Mountains.

Started out on the older choice models that used 110V electronics and controls, upgraded those to the newer Prime models that run all 12V controls and those produce the best pellet cooker food I've tasted to this day.

I have tall money in my NSF commercial units and the relatively cheap Green Mountain makes better pulled pork and briskets and it does a great job grilling just about anything running in the 350* range.

The wireless app is awesome with the dual built in probes, especially in the worst of winter cold up here you can wake up in the am and see where the cook is at and have a hot cup of coffee without even going outside.

I've had Rec's, Pitboss, Traeger's and I really like the results of the GM's better.

Pat I have owned just about all of them at some point, still have several Cookshack's we use for business in the winter month's when the stickburner's get washed out and oiled up for storage but my favorite cookers have been the Green Mountains.

Started out on the older choice models that used 110V electronics and controls, upgraded those to the newer Prime models that run all 12V controls and those produce the best pellet cooker food I've tasted to this day.

I have tall money in my NSF commercial units and the relatively cheap Green Mountain makes better pulled pork and briskets and it does a great job grilling just about anything running in the 350* range.

The wireless app is awesome with the dual built in probes, especially in the worst of winter cold up here you can wake up in the am and see where the cook is at and have a hot cup of coffee without even going outside.

I've had Rec's, Pitboss, Traeger's and I really like the results of the GM's better.

Interesting! What specifically do you think it is that makes the food better coming off the GM grills?

Back