The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default expanded steel?

i know you can use expanded steel for the grate on a smoker, but what about a gas grill? i am having a hard time finding a reoplacement grate, even the company is out of stock! if so does anyone know where to get some on long island? thanks.

phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
i know you can use expanded steel for the grate on a smoker, but what about a gas grill? i am having a hard time finding a reoplacement grate, even the company is out of stock! if so does anyone know where to get some on long island? thanks.

phil
i dont see why you cant... i believe right on the pkg the expanded steel comes in it says that it can be used for grills,windows etc etc... just get the heaviest guage one... lowes in my area half the price of home depot

Unread 05-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

My Smokemaster offset cooker came from the factory with an expanded metal grill. It works just fine. Only downside is that it is hard to clean. What are the dimentions you need? Could you cut down a 22 1/2" Weber grill? I did that for my homemade cooker.

Here's a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrel Cooker 024.jpg (104.7 KB, 153 views)
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post

phil
I've found it at couple local Home Depots, it's just in a weird place. It was on one of those random aisles with garage door hinges, bungie cords, etc. up above a selection of steel rods of varying dimension. The sheets, I beleive, were 24x24x3/4".
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

It would work fine. If you can fine SS expanded metal it would be better. I would run some extra suppot bars under it.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Grab your local yellow pages and look for your closest metal supplier, metal yard, metal fabrication...

Call them and ask if they sell "drops". Thats the scraps after they cut a full sheet. You can go and rumage the drop bin and find all you need as long as you pay cash.

I found much thicker stuff than at HD or Lowes and a much better price.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
biffleg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I've found it at couple local Home Depots, it's just in a weird place. It was on one of those random aisles with garage door hinges, bungie cords, etc. up above a selection of steel rods of varying dimension. The sheets, I beleive, were 24x24x3/4".
I'll have to go back and take another look. Everyone I've ask at the stores I've been to look at me like I have two heads
biffleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Just ask where the bar or round stock is.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
DeezQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry, I hit the button too early. The expanded metal is usually where the Metal round and bar stock is located. Good Luck. But I find the ones by where I live are too thin for grates.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Backwoods Extended Party, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]UDS, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Weber Kettle 22.5 (x 2), [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Gasser, Orion Cooker, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]24x48 Custom Griller, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Turkey Fryer x 2, [/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Small BGE, ECB, Char Broil Double Chef[/FONT]
DeezQ is offline   Reply With Quote