Certified Angus Beef

Sir Smoke A Lot

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I picked up a Certified Angus Beef Brisket for competition this weekend. It weighs nine pounds and looks much more like a flat than a whole brisket. Does anyone have any familiarity with certified angus beef? Is it really worth the money? I am concerned about how long to cook it - while it is nine pounds, since it looks more like a flat I am wondering if it will cook faster than the normal whole brisket. Thanks so much for everyone's input! I will post an update on Saturday or Sunday with my impressions of the cut!

CAB is worth the money, probably the next best thing to prime, it's just seems to be real hard to get when you need it. Don't ask. :mad:
Anyway, what temps are you cooking at?

I usually keep the cooker at around 225 - it will fluctuate some, but usually not more than 25 degrees either way for a short time.

Picked up a case of CAB briskets and did the first one last weekend. I was also at the same time learning a new cooker so this is what I will say. While the cooker was running hotter than I usually cook at, this Brisket cooked up alot faster(even with the temp issues) than any other brisket Ive cooked before.

Maybe it's me, but we have cooked alot of CABS between practice, competition and family affairs. We get them at Resturant Depot when available. In cooking time I don't notice a difference. When the brisket is done, it's done (195* internal).

I have not noticed a difference in cooking times, but it is definately a better product.

Maybe it was just the temp issues I was having last weekend, like I said, it was my first Cab brisket. Doing another practice cook this weekend and I'm gonna do another one. I also took out a Sam's Cub choice brisket I had in the freezer and gonna cook that one as well....thought it would be interesting to taste them side by side.

Also was wondering if anyone ages their briskets and if so for how long.

Yup! When you shop for your brisket, find one that has a packing date two weeks before you wish to prepare it. Take it home (Do not remove the Brisket from it's origonal cryovac!!!) and place your Brisket in your frig for the two weeks prior to cooking for it's best texture and flavor. This is called wet aging.

Yup! When you shop for your brisket, find one that has a packing date two weeks before you wish to prepare it. Take it home (Do not remove the Brisket from it's origonal cryovac!!!) and place your Brisket in your frig for the two weeks prior to cooking for it's best texture and flavor. This is called wet aging.

Great advice!

Was listening to a podcast a while back with J Minion, Lee Ann Whippen, Fast Eddy and Dr BBQ, when the conversation got around
to talking about aging brisket. All of them said ( slighty varied) they age them for apprx 40-50 days from the pack date. Have any of you aged em' that long before?

I should also add that they all said they had a source (pack house or resturant cooler) or a dedicated fridge that held a constant temp of 35*-36*deg. that wasn't opened and shut all the time.

Back