ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Longest single load burn on WSM and what water pan mod was used for it?

I am trying to decide on which water pan mod to try on my WSM. Other advantages not taken into consideration, does any one mod have an advantage over another as far as burn time goes?

Someone on another board suggested that the clay pot mod will burn longer than the unmodified water pan setup. I'm having trouble seeing how that could be. Also someone claimed a 25 hour burn on one load of charcoal. Anyone ever get anywhere near that? if so, what water pan mod did you have?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I have put playground sand in the pan then wrapped the pan with foil(so I can reuse the sand). With new K I have gotten burn times that were easily 18+ hours with occassional tending. I have kept my wireless thermometer going long after the cook was finished it kept a temp in the 225 and higher range for quite awhile. Granted, I cook a little higher than 225 and don't really tend to temps as much as others do.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

I still use the standard Weber pan (with Water but lined in Foil as I'm sick of cleaning it!!!!)

I've always refilled when checking the Q and adding more wood about 7-8 hours into cook so no need to worry about a bigger water pan.

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
Weber One-Touch Platinum Kettle - 57cm
Weber Smokey Joe Silver

GamerTag: CarbonToe

Film Noir. Back when men were men and broads were dames.
CarbonToe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Azinine
Take a breath!

I think that the only way to achieve those super long burn times is with something like the piedmont pan mod. With a water pan, a lot of the charcoal's energy is used up by heating the water. With the piedmont mod, all of the energy goes toward cooking the food so you can get much longer burn times. The only problem is that it is tougher to control the temp and it is much more likely to run hot this way. The water acts as a great temp regulator.

I use both methods, personally. If I'm going to be around to check on the cooker I'll use the piedmont mod. On my first overnighter that I did a couple of nights ago, I threw in the brinkman charcoal pan and filled it with 2 gallons of water... I wanted a little peace of mind.

"Yeah, but bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood" -Pulp Fiction

Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Charbroil Silver Smoker w/ mods (never used anymore)
Azinine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Someone on another board suggested that the clay pot mod will burn longer than the unmodified water pan setup. I'm having trouble seeing how that could be. Also someone claimed a 25 hour burn on one load of charcoal. Anyone ever get anywhere near that? if so, what water pan mod did you have?
You could concieveably get longer burn times using the clay pot base because you can choke down the vents more using that method. You aren't using energy from the fire to convert liquid water to a gaseous state, you're using that energy instead for heating the cooking chamber.
As far as 25 hrs..., I've never had burn times like that. With old K I could get maybe 14 hours. With the new stuff I get less. I'd be happy to get 10 hrs out of a load of new K with an empty water pan, but I've yet to try it with the clay pot base.
One thing I do with the standard Weber water pan is double wrap it in foil before filling with water (ask me how before you go and do this). This serves to reflect some of the fire's heat from the pan and it doesn't evaporate nearly as quickly. I've done 14 hrs + at 250 without having to refill. I believe that as a bonus, I get slightly longer burn times because of the heat energy going into the cooker rather than into the water.
HTH

Unread 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Had a confirmed 19+ hours on a load of K and woods chunks(this am nothing but ash). May have gone longer, went to bed. I use foil covered sand. Water? In a pan?? What's that for????
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I did 2 butts this weekend. I have been experimenting with a Piedmont Pan arrangement, with the top pan foiled and filled with 2 gallons of water. WSM was dead nuts all day, held right at about 250 dome temp. I had to add lump at about the 8 hour mark. Never had to add water. I was very happy with the results. I did take a peek, and noticed even with this arrangement the water was boiling, though not as vigorously as a single pan.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

I got 21.5 hours cooking two large butts one time on 1 load of coal and 1 pan of water. I used Kingsford briquettes, the Brinkmann water pan and the weather was perfect. I have not done that again.

Tony

Pit Happens!

18.5 WSM (x2) - "Porky" and "Miss Piggy"
Char-Griller Outlaw w/SFB - "Boss Hog"
Aussie Charcoal Grill - "Piglet"
Cheapie Tabletop Charcoal Grill - "Fire Starter"

Former KCBS CBJ
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i use sand in the pan too and i've had burns up to twenty hours using a packed out ring of new k wood chunks and using the Minion method. i started it with about 1/4 a chimney of coals. outside temp was hot day and night, no wind, no rain.

phil
rookiedad is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Sledneck
Time Out

sand 22 hours
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I did 2 butts this weekend. I have been experimenting with a Piedmont Pan arrangement, with the top pan foiled and filled with 2 gallons of water. WSM was dead nuts all day, held right at about 250 dome temp. I had to add lump at about the 8 hour mark. Never had to add water. I was very happy with the results. I did take a peek, and noticed even with this arrangement the water was boiling, though not as vigorously as a single pan.
I had been wondering about that very idea. Hummmm

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I use the Brinkmann charcoal pan for my water pan simply becaus eI don't have to fill it as often. I have gone 20+ hours on a full ring of the old K many times.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #13
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

14-16 hours no problem with a regular water pan, not quite a full load of fuel.

Unread 05-15-2007, 02:35 AM   #14
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

easy 12-15 with full load of kingford(new) and wood chunks, and 2gal waterpan filled with water 2-3 times. want to try the peidmont pan or sand pan.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote