MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default KCBS Involvement

Over the last six years I know I've annoyed some members, with what they perceived to be my defense of the board of directors. I also know that I've annoyed some board members with an email or two that I've sent to them.

When I needed to resign from the board I told myself that I did not want to be "that guy" that was openly critical of the people doing the job I'd been elected to do, or that always knew better. I also had personally experienced criticism from membership on issues where many of the people voicing their opinions just didn't have the facts.

My self imposed moratorium on venting my spleen has ended with this election, which would have been the end of my second term had I continued to serve and been elected again.

Each month there will be minutes of the meeting posted, as well as a recording of the open portion of the meeting. There should always be an agenda posted 72 hours prior to each meeting.

This thread exists as a place for a public discussion of those issues. Whether or not there is a consensus that comes out of that is up to membership. It's my hope, that whether or not there is a consensus it will serve to get the membership more involved in the decision making process.

"But the board is just going to do whatever they want to!", is what I frequently hear from members. From personal experience I disagree. Years ago there was a proposed amendment to the bylaws that became known as the "Nepotism Amendment". I started an online petition, that was submitted to the board. Between that, and members getting a little riled up the issue was tabled. Less than 100 members signed, but more emailed the board. I'd guess membership was between 12 and 14k at that time. Do the math. Over the years, when the membership takes the time to share their thoughts with the board on a given issue the board tends to listen.

Sharing your thoughts isn't posting on this forum, it isn't just leading a crusade on Facebook. It's taking the time to contact the board via email, or talking to board members when you have the opportunity. I can remember the board making a decision within the last six years that got the membership riled, and Randy Bigler came back at the next meeting and brought the issue up and got it changed. The board will be responsive, if membership will take the time to communicate their thoughts.

Going forward I will post a notice in this thread when the agenda is posted. I will post a notice in this thread when the minutes and audio recording of the meetings become available. Let the board know what you support, and what you don't. Ask for additional information when needed. I've said for years that membership will get the representation that they deserve. If I'm not going to take the time to follow what's going on, and learn the facts, I've got no business criticizing those that are taking the time to do the job. If I'm going to take the time, and remain engaged it's all fair game.

As for myself, the first email I send to the new board after they are seated will be a request for roll call votes to return with the votes cast by board members to be included in the meeting minutes.

WATCH THIS SPACE, AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Scottie for President 2020!!!!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:53 PM   #2
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You were doing so well..... until the end.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
you were doing so well..... Until the end.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
ModelMaker

Thank you for the offer. I must admit I don't keep track of dates for current reading or listening. I have contacted the BOD and committee chairs often and spoke my piece with various results in return communication, so we'll see how this goes.
Ed
I'm assuming you meant president of the USA?
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Any hope that there will be a useable site released this year?
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Thank you for the offer. I must admit I don't keep track of dates for current reading or listening. I have contacted the BOD and committee chairs often and spoke my piece with various results in return communication, so we'll see how this goes.
Ed
I'm assuming you meant president of the USA?
You interested in the VP spot on the ticket?

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
You interested in the VP spot on the ticket?
Both of them have my vote!
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
ModelMaker

Me thinks we couldn't do any worse.
Ed
KCBS certified judge

Old 02-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Yawn
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
Jorge

Agenda for the Feb meeting. I looked yesterday but apparently missed it.

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17451

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #11
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

Members can call in and listen to the board meetings and can even request to speak. There is a form you must fill out before they will share the call-in information. My only complaint is they limit you to 3 minutes if you want to speak. The February BOD meeting is their planning session so there won't be much open session to listen to.

My biggest frustration with the BOD is even when you email there seems to be no mention of how membership feels about the proposed changes. If they are truly acting on behalf of membership they could share the concerns of membership to have the in the official minutes. I know social media isn't the best forum for creating change but to have a BOD member tell me directly they don't consider any comments on FB is concerning. Like it or not, FB is the largest social media platform out there and the BOD should use it as another tool to gauge how membership feels about proposals (yes it can turn into an angry mob but it can still be useful). Maybe with the new website they could offer some polling to see how members feel about rule changes or large issues?

Email seems to be the best way to get a response but almost every time I have emailed the board the member who responds has been flippant towards my concerns and very much had the "we're going to do what we want to do" attitude. I hope the new BOD members can help change what appears to be a cultural issue with the BOD.
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

It is difficult to get meaningful input from people outside a meeting. You usually get one of the following:
- somebody who whines they don't like something but offers no solution
- somebody who offers a solution to an issue they disagree with but don't have all the information to take into account how their solution will impact something else or be impacted by something else

Unless you are sitting at the table discussing the issue and getting all points of view it is hard to make an informed decision. Sitting on boards in my life I have no use for the whiner. My volunteer time is taxing enough. The second person who has a possible solution can be considered at the time of discussion when all viewpoints are being put on the table. No one solution is likely the best option but by taking all the possible solutions and tweaking them you can come up with a workable option.

It is also up to the members to put forward their possible solutions in a meaningful way. Writing an email or letter to the board is the best way for the board members. To expect anyone to wade thru all the garbage on Facebook to search out information isnt realistic. These are still volunteers
, to my knowledge, and asking them to take all that extra time because people are too lazy to forward their position is unacceptable.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousting Pigs View Post

Email seems to be the best way to get a response but almost every time I have emailed the board the member who responds has been flippant towards my concerns and very much had the "we're going to do what we want to do" attitude. I hope the new BOD members can help change what appears to be a cultural issue with the BOD.
Yep, the typical BS of "thank you for your concerns but we don't care, we're gonna continue to do whatever we want including hiring ourselves and lining our own pockets." Let's hope new blood on the board changes the attitude some.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
Jorge

By emailing the board as a whole you insure that your thoughts on social media platforms don't get drowned out. By emailing the entire board the chances of it landing in front of someone that will give it consideration goes up.

There were a couple types of email that were more common than others. There were the accusations that someone was cheating and something had to be done. Did you inform the contest Reps? Universally the answer was no. Would you email this accusation to the entire board? Again the answer was no, or the sound of crickets. The other common email was to tell me what the board had done wrong. Based on the logic presented it made sense. The problem was that the facts of the issue were frequently ignored or just wrong making the suggested solution pointless.

I intend to listen to the meetings, and ask for info when the discussion in open session is lacking on issues that are important to me. After this first meeting I intend to ask that roll call votes be taken with results included in the minutes.

I'm expecting more lively meetings this year. Time will tell.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
ModelMaker

On Feb. 11th I wrote an e-mail to the KCBS BOD requesting they look into providing a day pass program equal to the RD program (there are no RD's in my region) for Sam's and Costco.
A Bragg responded
"And I have never been to a Sam’s or Costco that they would not offer you a day pass"
I called 3 Sam's in my area and while each said yes you could receive a day pass there would be a 10% fee of my total added.
I responded with this information, again to the entire BOD, to investigate the possibility of a no cost day pass for Sam's and Costco. As of this morning,nothing.
Ed
KCBS certified judge

Tags
kcbs