ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default We be Certified! (Rant is free of charge.....)

Yep! T and I took the judging class this past weekend, taught by Ed Roith. I went into it thinking I would learn better as to what the judges are looking for, and came away shaking in my boots and even pissed off at some of the scores these new trainees were giving out. Mr. Roith was quick to tell them that their scores were low, and pointed out how much we spend in doing a contest and how we depend on them being honest with their scores. There was one table of gents that just cut everything down, and at one point T had to pretty much muzzle me as I was about to go off. This was average Q, just the way the cooks were instructed to cook it, average is a 6.....these guys were consistently giving out 4s & 5s, a few 3s even! I bet every one of these farkers use Matchlight or lighter fluid as they torch their T-bones in their backyards!

Now,do we cook average Q? I certainly hope not....but I don't have a warm fuzzy about this weekend's scores if these guys show up to judge, and everyone in the class was invited to sign up to judge.

So we have to face the facts, no matter who teaches the class or how well it is taught, there is going to be some judges out there that are only there to eat Q, fill up their coolers, and wreck our day! And they get a badge and a certificate that says they can!

Edit: Newspaper article link: All you see of me is the bill of my cap, T is on my right.

http://www.showmenews.com/2007/May/20070506News001.asp

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!

Last edited by Solidkick; 05-07-2007 at 06:49 AM..
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mr. Kick-
Having just taken the CBJ class last weekend, and having not judged a comp yet all I can say is 1: agree
2: agree
3: agree
etc.
BUT; I hope that we all ( myself included ) will try to be fair & above all to learn to be the best judges that we can be. I know that in the class that I took a few of us ( including me ) were pretty much told when & where we had screwed up on our scores. The instructor, Mike Lake, had us not only give some of our scores out loud to the class, but he made us justify them also. Then he gave his own feelings on that score & the reasons that he did/didn't agree with ours.
I realize that only time & experience will make me a decent judge, but, damn it, I'm gonna try my best and I hope that all of the other judges will do the same.
Dave
p.s. - they were all out of the large coolers at our class, how about at yours
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I hope this doesn't reflect what the judging is going to be like at Tiger Shrine next weekend.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

When I took the class a few weeks ago the instructor said again and again to start with a 7.5 (FBA) and assume that was average Q. He said that if it made the turn in requirements then you should not give it less than that unless there was a real problem. He also stressed the competitiveness of the pro teams and how your low scores could have a REAL impact on things.

I felt like those were good points.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

'low scores' always have a REAL impact, but.... regarding the competitiveness of the teams...the BBQ is what is being judged, not how much we care if we win or not.
We all will put out our best effort (hopefully) and then let judges take it from there.
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

We had a few guys like that in the class I took and Mike Lake talked about it with them. We also had a fair number of guys who were giving average Q 9's as well. Either way it can skew the scores in a real competition.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think that new judges should be paired when at all possible with veteran judges. Unless the new judge is on a power trip and just wants to DQ someone, alot of the scores they give are probably just from lack of experience. When I took my CBJ class, had I not been around other judges who had been doing it for awhile and had they not talked to me about it after the class, I would have given alot of lower than deserved scores.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
eurycea
Knows what a fatty is.

When I took my class there was one guy at my table who I don't think ever gave above a 5 and he was one of the only people in the class who had judged before. His wife was sitting next to him and she kept lowering her scores throughout the class so by the end she was right there giving out 3's and 4's. I've seen them at several contests since then and he was still doling out bad scores. Some people are just overly critical and hopefully KCBS can eventually weed them out.

BTW - since Mike McMillen was the contact for the class in Columbia does that mean the Boone County contest will be using CBJs this year?
eurycea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurycea View Post
BTW - since Mike McMillen was the contact for the class in Columbia does that mean the Boone County contest will be using CBJs this year?
I'm pretty sure Mike will continue to use celebrity judges....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

After my virgin year last year I feel qualified to speak on this issue. Just like anything else in life expierience comes with repetition. When you did your first cook was it perfect? Probably not, how many times did you cook a rack of ribs before they met your level of satisfaction?
Judging is just like that, you go in with a little knowledge and the rules, the rest you get from doing. Contest after contest you listen to the other expierienced judges hone your own skills and srive to do a better job than the last time.
Give the newbies a chance, they will get it or get out.
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

I knew that was your hat on the front page and T sitting next to you!!!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Bellybro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick View Post
Yep! T and I took the judging class this past weekend, taught by Ed Roith. I went into it thinking I would learn better as to what the judges are looking for, and came away shaking in my boots and even pissed off at some of the scores these new trainees were giving out. Mr. Roith was quick to tell them that their scores were low, and pointed out how much we spend in doing a contest and how we depend on them being honest with their scores. There was one table of gents that just cut everything down, and at one point T had to pretty much muzzle me as I was about to go off. This was average Q, just the way the cooks were instructed to cook it, average is a 6.....these guys were consistently giving out 4s & 5s, a few 3s even! I bet every one of these farkers use Matchlight or lighter fluid as they torch their T-bones in their backyards!

Now,do we cook average Q? I certainly hope not....but I don't have a warm fuzzy about this weekend's scores if these guys show up to judge, and everyone in the class was invited to sign up to judge.

So we have to face the facts, no matter who teaches the class or how well it is taught, there is going to be some judges out there that are only there to eat Q, fill up their coolers, and wreck our day! And they get a badge and a certificate that says they can!

Edit: Newspaper article link: All you see of me is the bill of my cap, T is on my right.

http://www.showmenews.com/2007/May/20070506News001.asp
Stopped on your way home and bought a couple of coolers for the leftovers, didn't you?

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
After my virgin year last year I feel qualified to speak on this issue. Just like anything else in life expierience comes with repetition. When you did your first cook was it perfect? Probably not, how many times did you cook a rack of ribs before they met your level of satisfaction?
Judging is just like that, you go in with a little knowledge and the rules, the rest you get from doing. Contest after contest you listen to the other expierienced judges hone your own skills and srive to do a better job than the last time.
Give the newbies a chance, they will get it or get out.
ModelMaker
Ditto!

A couple of things have changed with me since I put on my KCBS and FBA Judge's hat.
I am less apt to give "perfect" scores now as I see the truly outstanding entries come in. Basically, my standard for a perfect score has gone up a bit with exposure to true excellence. And--NO--that is not "comparitive judging".

I give fewer "really low" scores because I have realized they are not needed nor productive. But--when I judge "crap"--I score it as such and annotate the slip as to why I felt that way. On a couple of occasions, the REP was wandering around. AFTER scores were turned in, I showed them the poor entries, just for their information.

The "flip side" of scoring from the "low ball" judges is the "high ball" judges!
Unrealistically high scores given for whatever reason.
When Dave (Chad) and I first competed at Mulberry, FL three years ago or so--some judges gave us 9.5's and 10's on some of our entries! Damn, that felt good!
We were convinced that all those mediorce scores were given by IDIOTS that should have their credentials pulled!
Ya know what?
The mediocre scores were what we earned!
The "high ball" judges were simply lying to us--plain and simple!

The system is not perfect by any means.
I know KCBS (especially Bro Jim Minion) is working hard to make it better. The same as Kevin and all the FBA BOD are working on leveling the scoring system.
Both of these bodies are watching the judges scores and looking for better ways to get the job done.

But, it is just humans and it takes time to adapt.

Just my nickel here from a guy who works both sides of the fence!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
Jeff_in_KC

My wife was questioned at the CBJ class she took because she gave a brisket a low score (4). When pressed, she said it tasted like it was cooked on a previous day and re-heated. Turns out she was right. Nothing wrong with scoring as such. They may be told to cook everything about a 6 (first time i've heard that though) but it doesn't mean everything comes out a 6. But I agree with your point, Gary. I've been saying this for over a year now: What is most important to a lot of judges is taking BBQ home. Pretty sad if you ask me too. It's not about a free meal, people. If you want carry-out BBQ, head to your local joint and pay for it. It may not be that even a majority of judges act this way but I think just enough of them do to do like you said... wreck our day.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Why not say it's a 6 or DQ?? They will Question a D Q!! and the scores will come in line!! Problem solved!! Thank You Spice for the answer to everyones problems!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007