ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My turn to get lambasted...

Here are some photos to tear apart from my side, since I've been hacking away at others'

This is a bad pic, but it's the only one I have of this entry:

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

1st chx looks messy/unorganized. 6
2nd chx.. pooling on the lower right?? if so, DQ'ed or 1. Much to heavily sauced. if no pooling, 5-6.

Rib, need 6 pieces. ? setting that aside, they look nice. I would have evened them out on the far side. I'd go with 6-7, as presented... if you evened them out, it be an 8.

Pork, messy. Ya cant have stuff hanging out of the box, or those little remnants on the edge.. set that aside, it still looks thrown together somewhat.. 6-7.

first brisket pic looks nice.. 8.. second one(i know its the same), looks like the slice could have been lined up/organized better.. i may be inclined to be generous with a 7-8 on those.

Hey u asked.. and I'm rough.... attention to the really fine details is what gets the high grades.

<slithering away now... , ducking slices of brisket curt is throwing at me.>

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
cmcadams

There were actually 8 ribs... 4 on 4...

I'll let out the first secret... first box of chicken... bad pic, but all 9's for appearance (taste/texture were a different story!)

No pooling on the 2nd.

And the brisket pics are 2 different entries.

None of the lettuce was hanging out of the box, though I'm trying to convince my wife to trim it with shears once it's in the box.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Dem ribs and that first brisket box are no doubt 9's, but 9's on that first chicken box is amazing...did you thank all da judges CM?
Authorized Dealer
Backwoods Extended Party, Traeger, BGE Mini, and Portable Kitchen.
Dalton Grill & Smoke for Smokers & Recipes
Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

On the ribs, if you have that much space leftover doing 4 on 4, Why not do 5 on 5 and fill up the box?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

The first chicken really scored all 9's? I never would have guessed. Go figure. It must be a horrible picture cuz the thighs look to be different sizes and not placed very carefully and the legs look almost tossed in. I won't give it a number since the pic is not so good.

The second chicken looks like it has 1/4 inch of sauce on it. That may just be the picture. The thighs look to be all different sizes. - 7

Ribs... From the pic it is hard to see the lower four ribs. I'm sure that wasn't the case in person. The garnish is hiding the meat. - 7

Pork - A little sloppy. The bark pieces should be centered better and they look dry. The pork piece on the edge of the box should have been removed. - 7

Brisket 1 - The slices could have been arranged more evenly and the slices look to be thicker on the right end in the picture. Really pretty nice overall. - 8

Brisket 2 - Same thing on the slices. They look thicker on one end than the other. Arrangement could have been neater. The mea looks dry, but that could be the picture. - 8

These threads are interesting to me since I can make my judgment and then see what others think. The problem with them is that I can go back and look again and again. In a real judging situation I would have one look and that's it.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
On the ribs, if you have that much space leftover doing 4 on 4, Why not do 5 on 5 and fill up the box?
That would be a big mistake in my opinion. Taste and tenderness count way more than appearance so why would you risk putting inferior ribs in the box for an extra apperance point ? Now if you have ten great ribs why not. But only put your best stuff in the box.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
cmcadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Neil, I could only get 4 ribs in a row that I really thought looked good, and I decided that I preferred that look to trying to force a 5th in. It was just an on the spot call.

Livefire Whisky

Unread 04-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
cmcadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendriver View Post
Dem ribs and that first brisket box are no doubt 9's, but 9's on that first chicken box is amazing...did you thank all da judges CM?
they actually looked better than the photo... I threw it in as a trick. The photo was my sister's cell phone camera.

Livefire Whisky

Unread 04-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default Here we go...

1st Ck-7 What can I say, crowded and lite on the garnish.

2nd Ck-9 Nuff said, another presentation I will tell my mom and sis to steal!

Ribs-8 Thought there were only 4 at first.

Pork-8 To me all pics of pork and brisket look dry so forget that.

1st Brisket-8 Well done!

2nd Brisket-6 Just looks avarage, so I can't really define why, just does.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
cmcadams

On the brisket looking thicker on one side than the other... it's kind of curved, to show off the bark on one end a bit... they're even thickness, but hard to tell in a photo.

Thanks for the input so far.

Livefire Whisky

Unread 04-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #12
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Providing the brisket is cooked properly and not too dry or undercooked - what is the ideal thickness to slice em?
Authorized Dealer
Backwoods Extended Party, Traeger, BGE Mini, and Portable Kitchen.
Dalton Grill & Smoke for Smokers & Recipes
Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #13
cmcadams

The basic guideline is the thickness of a regular pencil (#2)... but it's just a guideline, not a requirement.

Livefire Whisky

Unread 04-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Chicken #1- Skin is pulled back on most pieces, messy arrangment, dry looking(might just be the pic) I give it a 6, maybe a 7
Chicken #2- Too heavy on the sauce. I give it a 7. (No pooling there)

Ribs- I see 8 individual ribs, clean cut. I give them an 8 and maybe a 9.

Pork- Lots of nice bark. Looks a bit dry to me. I'd like to see some effort in arrangement other than just a pile, but that's me. I'd give it a 7.

Brisket #1- I gotta say I really like this box. The color is fantastic. Nice smoke ring and looks very mosit to me. The nic in the 2nd slice from the rear is evident but I like this box. This box would definitely warrant a 9 but with the torn piece on that one slice it could get an 8 if I wanted to nitpick(I won't nitpick). I want to eat that brisket NOW!!

Brisket #2- Looks very dry, Why the burnt ends on the left corner? Doesn't look as nice as the other one. Just doesn't have the color like the other one. Doesn't look as appealing to the eye. I'm gonna have to say a 6, 7 at best from me.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
cmcadams

The first brisket was our first walk at all, with a 5th... the ribs were our second walk.

I don't remember why the extra burnt ends.... Other than we realized we liked it best, so why not give more to the judges?

Livefire Whisky