THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Hi All I'm going to do my 1st over night smoke on my WSM 22".Doing a 13 lb before trimming prime brisket from Costco.
Starting at 5-6 pm tonite, should give me enough time to cook and rest for dinner on the 4th.
Inject with Butchers Prime .
Got a full ring of Weber charcoal,should make it thru the night, also using my Cyber Q DX 2 for 1st time at night, looking to keep temps at 225-250.
My Maverick should keep in form about the meat and food temps. I might just get some sleep tonite.:)

Also going to wrap when I like the bark, who knows what time that will.

After 3 hrs wrapped it was probe tender. Total cook time was 13 hrs, had to bump up temps after it was wrapped. Brisket rested towel/cooler for 4 hrs. Here are the results, tender- tasty-still a bit on the dry side for me.
Enjoy Dan

Last edited:
Curious which Costco you find packers in, what grade, and how much per pound. I live near Wayne/Willowbrook and have never seen them there. Flats on occasion, but never packers. I default to Restaurant Depot in Pine Brook and get CAB Choice.

I also have the same problem with it being a bit dry in the flat, despite wrapping, and going low-and-slow on an 18" WSM.

Brisket

Curious which Costco you find packers in, what grade, and how much per pound. I live near Wayne/Willowbrook and have never seen them there. Flats on occasion, but never packers. I default to Restaurant Depot in Pine Brook and get CAB Choice.

I also have the same problem with it being a bit dry in the flat, despite wrapping, and going low-and-slow on an 18" WSM.

Hi The Costco Business Center in Hackensack has Prime & choice packers.
Prime was 3.49 choice was 2.99
DanB

Hi All
Will an over cooked brisket come out day? This one was prime and injected and still came out on the dry side? It did probe tender at 205*.
Thanks DanB

If it probed tender as you say, I'm quite surprised it was dry—especially if it was a Prime.

In my experience, which is limited to about 5 or 6 packers a year, dry and tough is undercooked; dry and crumbly is overcooked. I use temp as a guide, but if my Thermopen probe goes into the thickest parts of the meat, point, and flat with almost no resistance at all, then I call it done. I don't make the determination by temp, although 203-210 is usually the range.

Did you wrap? And if you did, did you let the wrap sit open for about 15-20 minutes, then re-wrap and store in an insulated cooler for about 2-3 hours?

I hope this post isn't too late or too far away to matter.
I saw my first packer brisket at Costco about 2 weeks ago.
Prime beef. It was 12.5 pounds (so not a huge one) at $49.
I live in Gilbert, Arizona so that might be a stretch.
I had to ask at the butcher's window. He said they get maybe 2 a day.
For what its worth, the point was wonderfully moist as burnt ends.
But the flat was pedestrian. My fault on that I'm sure as I'm still a beginner at brisket.

they looked like this before the vultures came and wiped them out.
picture.php

Last edited:
Undercooked comes out dry. Over cooked will shred

Hi No way it was under cooked, it past the pull & bend test.
I've tried many different ways to smoke a brisket, and all come out the same, tender/tasty but on the dry side.
I watch these programs on TV and there briskets are flowing with juices?

THanks DanB
PS I'll keep trying. Don't know what I'm going to do on the next Brisket.

When you declare it "done" how tender is it, and where/how do you measure that tenderness? Can you tell us what do you do with it from the minute it comes off the smoker until you start slicing? What is the internal temp when it's time to serve?

Undercooked comes out dry. Over cooked will shred

That's been my experience in the brisket lottery. I guess every piece of meat is different and you need to stay on top of the cook.

To date, I've only cooked flats. I look for 200 to 205 IT at numerous points, as well probe tenderness at numerous points. If I get that, I pull.

Here's where I put my Myron cook class to work - I hold it FTC for at least 4 hours (I've gone 6 and still piping hot in my Cambro) before I slice.

I think a longer hold makes a big difference.....at least to me.

I would try hot and fast(325-350)...when I use to do the low and slow...I only batted about 50%..the key is pulling it at the right time and resting...LnS...I just had a hard time...first hot and fast...bingo...and every time since. Just my two cents.

When you declare it "done" how tender is it, and where/how do you measure that tenderness? Can you tell us what do you do with it from the minute it comes off the smoker until you start slicing? What is the internal temp when it's time to serve?

Hi Took it off the smoker at 205* when probed tender in the flat. Opened up the butcher paper for 10-15 mins, then wrapped foil around it placed in a cooler with towels. Started slicing at 147*
Thanks DanB

I would try hot and fast(325-350)...when I use to do the low and slow...I only batted about 50%..the key is pulling it at the right time and resting...LnS...I just had a hard time...first hot and fast...bingo...and every time since. Just my two cents.

Hi I tried H n F one time with pretty much the same results.The bark was sooo hard made it tough to slice.
Thanks DanB

Hi I tried H n F one time with pretty much the same results.The bark was sooo hard made tough to slice.
Thanks DanB

Here is my "expert" opinion after two briskets on my Weber Summit - the only two briskets I've smoked.

The first was a Costco prime. Cooked at about 225-250 til 160, wrapped in foil til about 203. I did probe for tenderness, but not having ever done it before I couldn't decide. After I pulled it, I vented for just a few minutes and then put in a cooler for a couple of hours. Flat was dry and crumbly. Very disappointed.

Two weeks ago I did an Albertsons choice ( on sale for $1.67 - thanks brethren for pointing out this sale ). I was not going to overcook this one. Trimmed almost all fat from between the flat and point - was worried I'd over-trimmed it. Wanted to inject, but couldn't find my injector I hadn't used in 20-years. Got it on the Summit at 12:45 am. Never wrapped and pulled it at about 11:30 am. Cook temp was 220-235 overnight, up to 267 during the morning - just seemed to move there after the stall. Pulled this one at 196 or so. Couldn't quite decide if the probe went in like butter, but it was close so I pulled it. Let it sit uncovered for 15 minutes, wrapped in foil, and held for about 5 hours. Flat was moist. Point was awesome. Very pleased.

Based on these two results, I'm not going to wrap, will pull earlier rather than later, and give a nice long hold. Choice is not a bad option if the price is right.

Brisket

Here is my "expert" opinion after two briskets on my Weber Summit - the only two briskets I've smoked.

The first was a Costco prime. Cooked at about 225-250 til 160, wrapped in foil til about 203. I did probe for tenderness, but not having ever done it before I couldn't decide. After I pulled it, I vented for just a few minutes and then put in a cooler for a couple of hours. Flat was dry and crumbly. Very disappointed.

Two weeks ago I did an Albertsons choice ( on sale for $1.67 - thanks brethren for pointing out this sale ). I was not going to overcook this one. Trimmed almost all fat from between the flat and point - was worried I'd over-trimmed it. Wanted to inject, but couldn't find my injector I hadn't used in 20-years. Got it on the Summit at 12:45 am. Never wrapped and pulled it at about 11:30 am. Cook temp was 220-235 overnight, up to 267 during the morning - just seemed to move there after the stall. Pulled this one at 196 or so. Couldn't quite decide if the probe went in like butter, but it was close so I pulled it. Let it sit uncovered for 15 minutes, wrapped in foil, and held for about 5 hours. Flat was moist. Point was awesome. Very pleased.

Based on these two results, I'm not going to wrap, will pull earlier rather than later, and give a nice long hold. Choice is not a bad option if the price is right.

Might give it a try next time. I have nothing to lose.
THanks DanB

I let my brisket sit out for 45 minutes before I wrap and throw into the chest for a rest. A large hunk of meat is not really cooling at all with 15 minutes on the counter. Wrapping too quick results in additional cooking.

I'm by no means a brisket expert and have only done a handful to date. Honestly, I think there's still just quite a bit of variation between each Costco brisket even though they're "Prime". I've done some that come out the way you describe, and I've done some that I think "Oh man I've finally nailed it."

Your game plan sounds solid, so I'd just chalk it up to differences in brisket. Like the other poster had said, I've also done Superior Angus Choice briskets from RD and some of those have been way better than Costco prime, and some not so much.

That's part of the fun of all this those, right? Tinkering around and seeing what works, what doesn't, what if I did this a little different? Etc.

Back