ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
ApronGuy
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Competition April 28th

Greetings Brethren,

I am competing in my very first competition in two weeks. It kind of came on suddenly, but I jumped at the chance. It's in Austin at the Texas Culinary Academy on the 28th of April. I don't think it's a huge event, or even if a BBQ governing body is overseeing the judging. However, I'm super excited.

3 categories: Brisket, Baby Back ribs, Chicken

I've been pouring over recipes, my own procedures, and the various competition checklists here on the forum. There's not much time left 'till the event, so .... any words of advice for this Newest of Newbies?

Oh ... my team name is "Que and A"

If anyone is in the area on that weekend, come by and say hello.

Unread 04-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApronGuy View Post
Greetings Brethren,

I am competing in my very first competition in two weeks. It kind of came on suddenly, but I jumped at the chance. It's in Austin at the Texas Culinary Academy on the 28th of April. I don't think it's a huge event, or even if a BBQ governing body is overseeing the judging. However, I'm super excited.

I've been pouring over recipes, my own procedures, and the various competition checklists here on the forum. There's not much time left 'till the event, so .... any words of advice for this Newest of Newbies?

First off--I have relatives in Austin--I will alert them to this.
Do they have a website?????????????

Secondly--lots of historical threads here for new teams. I suspect you have searched them all.

We have all been through the "jitters" and most of us have survived
Some of us still go through them!

Any specific questions other than "How to survive the first?"
For that---"Take a breath and have fun" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Have fun brother and the rest will work itself out....if not.....there is always BEER!!!
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

Have fun and good luck, get your schedule/timeline worked out before hand, that will help a bunch.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I know less then you .......so Im a saying dont forget to enjoy the time there, Im a guessing stress of 1st time...... Im still looking towards it in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApronGuy View Post
Greetings Brethren,

The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Pork Chop
Full Fledged Farker

Practice cooks...... Practice cooks and then do it again. Most of all have fun and make new friends.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Did any one mention practicing....lol, the best idea! and remember have fun!!

Good Luck!
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Develop a game plan and do your best to stick to it....at least if you go with your game plan, you won't be disappointed if you fail. You will just modify your game plan. When you fail to stick to your game plan....then things tend to piss you off....Another great thing to remember, DO NOT allow yourself to be distracted. advise all of your friends that social hour starts immediately after the last turn-in... tell them to stay out of your way and out of your helpers way....This is advice that I am sure others will acknowledge here.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
ApronGuy
On the road to being a farker

thanks everyone ....

I do plan on having fun. I can hardly contain my joy right now.

My only real jitters are about that 2 hour time period where you have to prep and turn in.

Kapn ... "they" do have a website ... It's my own. I am the pitmaster for my team. My site is Meninaprons.net

Unread 04-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The Polocks wish you all the best! We hope you have as much fun as we did in our first contest! After our first contest my brother and I looked at each other and yelled, "We're hooked"! That contest was one of the best times I have ever had with my brother since we were kids. I hope your first contest brings you as much joy and fun as my first did to me.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

Hey ApronGuy,

I just finished my first one today. Did good in pork and chicken, brisket was our worst. We had a thermometer on a smoker go bad and did a 14 lb brisket. Put it on at 1:00 Friday afternoon and at 6:00 this morning it was at 120 degrees. Panic Mod!!!!!!!! I cut it in half wrapped it and got a working thermometer.

If chicken turn in is first like most KCBS comps, start earlier than you think you have two. We went nuts trying to get the first turnin ready while tending the end of the ribs. I had 6 matched thighs all ready and put on the sauce and skin side down to crisp and one fell thru the hole between the grates. Luckily I had some extras, got one ready and got everything off in time.
Write down your start and should be done times before you go and post them. This will help a lot.
Have fun, mingle with other teams and ask a lot of questions. Today I was surrounded by great teams and every one was great with plenty of help, until 11:00, turn in time everyone goes into the zone.

Good Luck with the Comp. Take lot of pictures to post.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote