The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  


Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Norcoredneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-11-06
Location: Norco, Ca.
Default Found recipe

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Mortons Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. corriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced water over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and
mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are
done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Bob Wills
music and Lone Star Beer on the side.
__________________
Low and Slow.....

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
thirdeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-06
Location: At home on the range in Wyoming
Default

One of my favorite hot links!! There is no doubt about why they are called HOT. That version has been tickled with just a smidge from the original...the beef was omitted (these are Texas hot links) and the grinding was changed to fine.

(One thing I do is let the mixed meat rest overnight before stuffing)

Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks
Posted by Bigwheel on The BBQ Forum & Pit Talk Forum

5 pounds boston butt
2 pounds lean beef
1 bottle cold beer
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons ground corriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons ground thyme
6 teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick
1 teaspoon MSG

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer on the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with ice cold beer.
__________________
~thirdeye~

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 02-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
JimT
Full Fledged Farker
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Default

Both versions of this recipe call for Tender Quick, but the notes don't mention anything about a "curing" time. What purpose does the Tender Quick serve?

JimT
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
thirdeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-06
Location: At home on the range in Wyoming
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT
Both versions of this recipe call for Tender Quick, but the notes don't mention anything about a "curing" time. What purpose does the Tender Quick serve?

JimT
Jim,

Tenderquick was developed for the home cook so we would not have to fool around with the measuring accuracy associated with nitrates, nitrites or pink salts. It is a fast cure and tenderizer and is used when cold smoking or when you desire the texture, flavor and color it imparts when hot smoking. I use it is some sausages, and in my brines when smoking turkey breasts or whole birds.

Here is an excellent article by Joe Ames who has The Ingredient Store.

http://new.cbbqa.com/articles/TenderQuick.html
__________________
~thirdeye~

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Location: Southern Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
Jim,

Tenderquick was developed for the home cook so we would not have to fool around with the measuring accuracy associated with nitrates, nitrites or pink salts. It is a fast cure and tenderizer and is used when cold smoking or when you desire the texture, flavor and color it imparts when hot smoking. I use it is some sausages, and in my brines when smoking turkey breasts or whole birds.

Here is an excellent article by Joe Ames who has The Ingredient Store.

http://new.cbbqa.com/articles/TenderQuick.html
Good reference 3rdI. Some of us pay attention.
__________________
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker
 
boatnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-05
Location: Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
Jim,

Tenderquick was developed for the home cook so we would not have to fool around with the measuring accuracy associated with nitrates, nitrites or pink salts. It is a fast cure and tenderizer and is used when cold smoking or when you desire the texture, flavor and color it imparts when hot smoking. I use it is some sausages, and in my brines when smoking turkey breasts or whole birds.

Here is an excellent article by Joe Ames who has The Ingredient Store.

http://new.cbbqa.com/articles/TenderQuick.html
hey Jim,
thanks for the link..great explanation and lots of other interesting facts there too!
__________________
Mike

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM


I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
JimT
Full Fledged Farker
 
JimT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-15-06
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut
hey Jim,
thanks for the link..great explanation and lots of other interesting facts there too!
It was Thirdeye that provided the link.

Thanks Thirdeye!!!

JimT
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Location: Southern Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
One of my favorite hot links!! There is no doubt about why they are called HOT. That version has been tickled with just a smidge from the original...the beef was omitted (these are Texas hot links) and the grinding was changed to fine.

(One thing I do is let the mixed meat rest overnight before stuffing)

Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks
Posted by Bigwheel on The BBQ Forum & Pit Talk Forum

5 pounds boston butt
2 pounds lean beef
1 bottle cold beer
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons ground corriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons ground thyme
6 teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick
1 teaspoon MSG

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meats into grinder sized pieces. Dump the spiced beer on the cut meat and mix it up good. Run spiced meat mixture through the grinder coarse or medium plate and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. Wash it down with ice cold beer.
I made up a batch yesterday afternoon. Let sit overnight, ground and stuffed this morning. Made a couple of patties to fry up for a sample. WOW! I've made a lot of sausage, this is probably going to become my new favorite. It's got heat and lots of flavor. Thanks.
__________________
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 04-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker
 
beerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-05-05
Location: Fredericksburg Va
Default

Kevin, looks like you may need more than ONE bottle of beer. May need to drink the other 5 from the sixpack to wash it down. looks good. im gonna have to try this.
__________________
I support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Other half of the Cat Sass BBQ team

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Location: Southern Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
Kevin, looks like you may need more than ONE bottle of beer. May need to drink the other 5 from the sixpack to wash it down. looks good. im gonna have to try this.
Yeh, I just ate about a 1/4 pound patty and I'm seriously thinking about a beer, it's only 10:00 AM.
__________________
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 04-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #11
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker
 
tony76248's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-10-06
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default

I may have to try these hot links sometime. That said, we have a bunch invested into cookoffs at this time and I am not sure I need to invest into a sausage grinder....my problem is, I always have to spend for the top dollar items and that sets me back a bit and cuts into my other purchases.
__________________
"Grilla in the Pits" "IMAGRILLA"

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 04-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
thirdeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-06
Location: At home on the range in Wyoming
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I made up a batch yesterday afternoon. Let sit overnight, ground and stuffed this morning. Made a couple of patties to fry up for a sample. WOW! I've made a lot of sausage, this is probably going to become my new favorite. It's got heat and lots of flavor. Thanks.
Kevin,

Are you stuffing it all? Do you plan on making a couple of fatties with some, it's good that way too?
__________________
~thirdeye~

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-05
Location: Southern Minnesota
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Kevin,

Are you stuffing it all? Do you plan on making a couple of fatties with some, it's good that way too?
Already stuffed it all. More sausage making going on today though. If I don't run out of enthusiasm I may make up another batch. A fatty or two is a great idea.
__________________
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smokey Corn Recipe w/Honey Found - Pron wheelterrapin Q-talk 2 11-06-2011 02:59 PM
Found what may turn out to be a good recipe resource tuolumnejim Q-talk 3 04-01-2011 09:40 AM
Found recipe source Norcoredneck Q-talk 26 09-17-2009 10:25 PM
Found a good grilled salmon recipe MRI_Guy Q-talk 3 04-23-2009 07:35 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts