Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Default Nu-Temp Remote Therm - no ON/OFF ???

Finally got around to opening up my package of three Nu-Temp thermometers (that were shipped to me more than a year ago.... )

I have seen others who had these specific units... but I never noticed that there was no ON/OFF button... They mentioned in the instruction sheet that it does not have one as current required is minimal and can run for 6 months...

Just seemed odd to me.. For those who own them, are you removing the battery cover before and after each use ?

Pain in the arse...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Grand Poobah and Site Admin
Name/Nickname : Phil

nope.. they run for a year if ya keep them inside. Less if you leave them in the cold. I just carry a costco pack of AA and AAA batteries with my comp stuff.
Site Administrator and
Grand PooBah

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Watching over us.

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
nope.. they run for a year if ya keep them inside. Less if you leave them in the cold. I just carry a costco pack of AA and AAA batteries with my comp stuff.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
Take a breath!

Kinda ditto. My TruTemps do have an on/off switch. I have a Pyrex one that doesn't, though, and it has been running for over a year now on the original battery (yep, one AAA battery - I love that sucker)

EDIT: Just saw that you typed NU-Temp, not TRU-Temp. I just woke up... :)

"Yeah, but bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood" -Pulp Fiction

Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Charbroil Silver Smoker w/ mods (never used anymore)
Azinine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

You only get a year out of them?

Vinny, I have had one Nu Temp on the shelf under my grill in the yard for over 3 years, probably 2 or 3 battery changes. The receiver in the house is used year round as an outside temp gauge.

Tested last month in boiling water and hit 211*

Thing is accurate down to -22 (Farking cold)

But my other receiver, you are correct, I unscrew the back and remove, only because I only need the second unit 2wice a year (I have Pyrex probes for medium cooks)

My second unit looks brand new, my one on the patio looks like hell, and has an inch of soot covering the faceplate (sits on 1x3 piece above kettle lid vent mostly)

I received 4 probes with my 2 units. In three years, I am on my last one.

Very durable, I'm sure you'll like them.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
Babbling Farker

Nu Temps are awesome. I use 15 min rechargeables in most of my stuff - they seem to last over a year in the Nu Temps. Actually, I've had my Nu Temps around 2 1/2 years and am only on my second set of batteries. Like Bill, I keep one outside in the grill during the winter to monitor outdoor temps.

I rarely use my other 4 remote thermometers since I got the Nu Temps.
I didn't hijack the thread. I just took it in a completely different direction.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ok they are good units but they do have some short comings. For one don't leave them in direct sunlight it will kill the sending units and two, be very careful with the probes, they can get destroyed in a hart beat either from excessive heat or the wire getting smashed by the lid. the company recommends putting foil around the wires, to shield some of the heat. They were going to have a high heat probe available but I haven't check back in a good while. One other thing depending on which kind of battery's you use, you may have to pull the contacts out just a bit for it to work right.
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote