oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #16
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Default Pretty charcoal basket.

Neil,

You need to get Meat Burner to do your welding. Now that's A firebox...I gotta start praticing more with them sticks!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #17
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I'm confused about the distance between the charcoal basket and the lowest grate.

Everyone is telling me "at least 24" above the charcoal grate. I hope they mean the bottom of the charcoal basket, not the top of the coals. I don't see how you can get two grates into a 33" barrel any other way.

I got the pipe nipples installed today.. gettin' closer. :-)

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #18
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks good Neil! How many air intakes do you have in the bottom? Also what is the pipe nipple midway up the drum for, another intake?

Brian
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the report and the pics. I know I was becopming a pain with the texting and IM'ing, but I really was interested in this project. Don't forget to finish the project and keep us well informed. Will the maiden voyage be at the Autry, or will you be able to squeeze in a cook prior to the event?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #20
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Looks good Neil! How many air intakes do you have in the bottom? Also what is the pipe nipple midway up the drum for, another intake?

Brian
There are three air intake valves on the bottom including one with a ball valve. The extra pipe nipple is to stick a pole or something thru to jiggle the charcoal box to shake the ash free.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 03:39 AM   #21
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
The extra pipe nipple is to stick a pole or something thru to jiggle the charcoal box to shake the ash free.

Now that is a great idea. I'll have to add that mod to my UDS along with a ball valve to one of the air intake nipples. Thanks Neil.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grill, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 2 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #22
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The top grate is about 5.5 inches from the top. The second grate is about the same distance below that.
Thanks for the Information Mista...I had been confused about the grate spacing!Hoping to get back to work on mine soon. I have the tubes bent just been to cold to really get out and work on it here.Spring will surely be here soon I also see that You put a pipe nipple in for the ash shaker...I would be glad to send You a picture of the one I made for mine if You are interested !! Yours is Lookin Great. Hope ya get a cook in before the Autry to test everything !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!

Last edited by Oldbob; 04-09-2007 at 09:28 AM..
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #23
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker

On my barrel smoker, I don't have an ash pan, keep meaning to make one. But I have cooked on it about 12 or 15 times lost count and it will probably go another 8 or 9 times before it will need to be emptied out. The ash sitting in it is not a good thing for an extended period of time but it wont have to be emptied out each time because it burns so clean. Even on long cooks I still have fuel left over.
Dave
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #24
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
On my barrel smoker, I don't have an ash pan, keep meaning to make one. But I have cooked on it about 12 or 15 times lost count and it will probably go another 8 or 9 times before it will need to be emptied out. The ash sitting in it is not a good thing for an extended period of time but it wont have to be emptied out each time because it burns so clean. Even on long cooks I still have fuel left over.
Dave
What do you use for fuel?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #25
Bigmista

OK I need ideas for handles for the sides and lid. Please keep in mind that I need a quick solution and I don't weld.

HELP!

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott

Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #26
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

find a couple of small L shaped brackeds and drill into the lid. put a dowel rod connecting them
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #27
bbqbull

Neil, go to H. Depot or some other type hardware type store. Ask for gate handles. We use them here on sliding barn doors as well. You could mount them on the outside by drilling holes throught the sides of the barrel. I would used non-galvinized type handles and screws though.
Just a thought here.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. "

"Heavily medicated for your protection. "

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #28
Bigmista

Please keep in mind that you are talking to one of the least handy men in America. I need details and pictures if possible.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott

Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #29
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Please keep in mind that you are talking to one of the least handy men in America. I need details and pictures if possible.
Mista...this fitting would work for a handle...just go to home depot or any hardware store and ask for Steel Conduit Hanger with Nut And Bolt Attached then get a wooden dowel rod to use between 2 of these brackets that are bolted to the drum lid....You would need 6 fittings and 3 pieces of wooden dowel rod...the fitting come in various sizes...just pick the one You need and get a rod to match it...I Hope this helps You Brother...the bolt pictured is the one that will draw the fitting tight against the rod...just get some 1/4" stainless steel bolts to bolt to the drum!!

Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #30
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbob View Post
Mista...this fitting would work for a handle...just go to home depot or any hardware store and ask for Steel Conduit Hanger with Nut And Bolt Attached then get a wooden dowel rod to use between 2 of these brackets that are bolted to the drum lid....You would need 6 fittings and 3 pieces of wooden dowel rod...the fitting come in various sizes...just pick the one You need and get a rod to match it...I Hope this helps You Brother...the bolt pictured is the one that will draw the fitting tight against the rod...just get some 1/4" stainless steel bolts to bolt to the drum!!

Maybe I'm not look at this correctly but it doesn't look like the dowel would be far enough away from the barrel.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott