ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default alittle help....

I've been asked to Q some ribs approx. 20 spares, they'll provide the ribs and I provide the knowledge like RO and suace, rub, pecan wood and of course the smoker, I'll start in the morning and finish at evening cooling in the frig. for the next day yes they'll be wrapped in foil and reheated at the job site how much should I charge for these services, I don't want to make a retirement off of them but I need the compensation.......I'm stoked
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
icemn62
Babbling Farker

How much is your time worth to you?

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

I would calculate the number of people 20 slabs would feed, then calculate a standard rib gig for that number of people, subtract the cost of meat and give them an invoice for whatever that amount comes to. Once you cheat yourself with a customer, they will find it easier and easier to cheat you themselves. Get what your time, materials and expertise is worth or cook yourself some ribs, pop open a guiness and enjoy your day for yourself.

Just my opinion.

Pit Happens!

18.5 WSM (x2) - "Porky" and "Miss Piggy"
Char-Griller Outlaw w/SFB - "Boss Hog"
Aussie Charcoal Grill - "Piglet"
Cheapie Tabletop Charcoal Grill - "Fire Starter"

Former KCBS CBJ
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Ribs

Well I don't have any Guinesse on hand but I do have a bottle of Wild Turkey, I understand the time issue and don't want to be taken advantage over, my thing how do you put a dollar figure on somthing you love to do I was figuring on a minimen wage maybe 8 bucks an hour and charge alittle higher on the equipment used, I need a answer by tonite and I was leaning toward 160$ for time and equipment rendered

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbb View Post
Well I don't have any Guinesse on hand but I do have a bottle of Wild Turkey, I understand the time issue and don't want to be taken advantage over, my thing how do you put a dollar figure on somthing you love to do I was figuring on a minimen wage maybe 8 bucks an hour and charge alittle higher on the equipment used, I need a answer by tonite and I was leaning toward 160$ for time and equipment rendered
wow!

hell I wont do things that I like for minimum wage! its gonna cost a whole lot more that that for somemthing I love

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I have a catering calculator that I use. I come up with approx. 50 people in attendance getting roughly 5 bones each; or, 25 people getting 10 bones each. That equals approx. 20 slabs of ribs. I calculate a 2.50 per person base amount and then add 100.00 for wood, coal, and time. I come up with 225.00. Ok, so you may be trying to score an deal to setup some good word of mouth - cool! Not a problem. Just make sure you let them know that the $160 is a discounted rate for whatever reason. This way, when you service this customer in the future, they will expect more standard rates.

Tony

Pit Happens!

18.5 WSM (x2) - "Porky" and "Miss Piggy"
Char-Griller Outlaw w/SFB - "Boss Hog"
Aussie Charcoal Grill - "Piglet"
Cheapie Tabletop Charcoal Grill - "Fire Starter"

Former KCBS CBJ
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Just working it kinda backwards--you are thinking of $8 per slab for your time, trouble, and expenses.If ribs cost them $8-10 per slab as they do around here, they are getting the whole deal for $16-$18/slab cost.

That is on the low side of market around here from the pros with all the overhead of a food-service business. But, certainly not a "give away" price either.

Your call in the long run.

Who is reheating and how??? A lot can be involved there if you have to transport a cooker and provide more heat and all of that.

Good luck and have fun.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

$160 for at least 8 hours work? Not to mention the wood, gas for delivery, use of your smoker and equipment.

If this is for a charity and you only want to get your costs back, that's one thing. If you are treating this as a business deal, be professional and recognize that you are providing a valuable service.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Tim's right
Thats a $400 job
20 slabs 40+ people at $10.00 per.

I would re-neg and try to supply the meat at 22.00 per slab
EXPERT IN CRACKERESE
Spicewine Smoker Sales Southeast 863-381-1530
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Tim hit on my question -- do you have to take a cooker to the site to reheat - and tables, knives, cuttingboards, etc - to prep and serve them? Aluminum pans, foil, etc, etc.

I would really gauge it on how much effort you are going to have to put in outside of just the cooking too. It also depends on how they are going pay you, etc. too.... Ask MoKan - but doing a 'favor' for work - got him a 1099 as a 'vendor', and he paid taxes on it! So something he kept the cost down on turned into a deal where ya could lose money somewhere in the supply chain.

In the end you'll pick a figure you think is fair - and thats good. Just make sure the number you give them takes into account everything you have to do to pull this off. Much more time than just the cooking :)

Unread 04-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

no less than $200 in my opinion.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Char-Griller Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Ribs

Well I got under bid they have an outfit that will provide the meat and everything else labor fuel, and foil for 220$, for all I know it could be just plain ribs with no rub or Q sauce, and I quoted 180$ without the meat, what can you say.............I hope they enjoy there lunch!

Unread 04-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I got under bid they have an outfit that will provide the meat and everything else labor fuel, and foil for 220$, for all I know it could be just plain ribs with no rub or Q sauce, and I quoted 180$ without the meat, what can you say.............I hope they enjoy there lunch!
IMHO--you have lost nothing but some cooking practice

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #14
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Sorry you lost out. Were they co-workers or friends?
-KCBS Judge #21924
-36" Kingfisher Combo
-New Braunfels Bandera (rescued)
-Weber 22.5" Kettle (rescued)
-A homemade trailer cooker
-Concession trailer nicknamed "The Dawg House"
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/BarkinDawgsBBQCatering[/URL]
Puppyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #15
Azinine
Take a breath!

Wow. I really can't believe that. I get the feeling that those ribs are going to suck.

I mean, can you even buy 20 slabs of spares for less than $220? Even if you can... just damn.

Very curious.

"Yeah, but bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood" -Pulp Fiction

Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Charbroil Silver Smoker w/ mods (never used anymore)
Azinine is offline   Reply With Quote