The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
masque13
Full Fledged Farker

Default Let's Talk Efficiency Tips & Tricks For Setup

hello everyone! me and my partner are gearing up for a few contests this year. and we've been looking to make some changes to our camp prep and setup process.

we are non porch people. I have a 7 x 16 enclosed cargo trailer that i will be eventually doing some things inside to it to make things more permanent. But that will be a slow time table and wallet dependent.

therefore, in the meantime, we are trailer, tents and camp site setup guys. we've recently built a sink cart for our hot water and sink which will help alot and we based it off a pic in one of the other threads (thanks!).

one of my main questions is what do you guys with similar set ups do for efficiency of use and setup and tear down for your rubs, sauces and utensils?

we're thinking about a rolling tool chest or something along those lines, but was just curious about what some of you do and hoping to find some great ideas we hadn't thought of before. any help would be appreciated.

and along those lines, any additional ideas any of you have for our kind of setup would be great, such as transporting wood (we're stick burners), and moving any totes or whatever.

thanks in advance for any ideas!
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

I run a similar set up. I have two 4' stainless tables with two 3 drawer Sterilite plastic drawer units sitting under one of them. This holds all utensils, rubs, towels, etc.

As for efficiency, I don't do any washing. Everything goes into a bus tub to take home. Disposable cutting boards and lots of foil lined pans. For set up, I have 30 gal trash can that sits outside. At tear down, any thing from the outside goes in it. Extension cords, rope lights, fire extinguisher, coal bucket, etc. The less pieces I have move the better.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

I use small totes with lids that hold each category in them. If I use the same thing on more than one category I duplicate it instead of sharing so all I do is pull out the tote and everything for the category is in it, and when I am done everything goes back in it and it goes home, I made inventory sheets for each tote, I refill, refresh and load them back up.

This has streamlined my cooks and taken the guess work out of loading as they are always stocked. Another thing that it did was eliminate the clutter on my work table. Whatever is out is getting used, and then getting put away. It also helps in remembering your steps as you use everything that you have out.

Another plus is I bought the stackable totes so they have a small foot print, with labels on both ends it is easy to grab what you need.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
The S
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Before we had the rv I liked having a free standing shelf unit. You can pick up a 4/5 shelf unit for around 20 bucks and it's a great way to still be able to see what you have without taking up table space

Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

I have 3 of these, but don't look like they are made any more: https://www.suncast.com/dr181812-parts.html
They hold most of my bigger items, and then a Stanley fatmax toolbox for smaller items and tools. Foil pans and pots for heating sauces get stored in my cambro boxes until needed. Canopy accessories go in a large storage tote. Takes me about an hour to set up by myself, and a little little less to pack up.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
Pig_Farmer
Full Fledged Farker

For transporting wood, fill your fb to the brim and then fill the cook chamber with more. Fill all the nooks and crannys of your smoker with wood and your smoker tools.

Southwest Bash link:
Http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=256212
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Shiz-Nit
is Blowin Smoke!

For transporting rubs, sauces, knives, injector, electronics, gloves ect... I use the below in the link but I got mine on a black Friday deal a couple years back for $89.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-26-in...4&blockType=G4

Old 02-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
masque13
Full Fledged Farker

^ thanks......thats the one I went with, except got the red version!
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I don't recall where you'd look for them, but CBQ on here (Rhode Hog BBQ) has a sweet setup with some wheeled wire shelves with totes on them. The whole assembly rolls on and off the trailer.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal, Deep South Smokers, and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I don't recall where you'd look for them, but CBQ on here (Rhode Hog BBQ) has a sweet setup with some wheeled wire shelves with totes on them. The whole assembly rolls on and off the trailer.

see Pages 2 and 3 http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=184764

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

The challenge I found when doing my first (and only so far) competition was the overhead of keeping things clean without the efficiency of a sink and running water. I filled a Gatorade cooler full of water and put it in the grassy area in my spot and used that to rinse hands/knives/etc and it worked well enough, but I'm interested what others do to lessen the overhead of cleaning and sanitation.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
I built this setup.. Can no longer get the single small drawer part and could not find stem casters larger than 5 inch that fit the legs on the bakers rack..

That being said it is easy to simply take out whole drawers , roll the rack and then replace the drawers.. If you are careful not to over do it you can get most everything into one rack set up..I sometimes find it easier to work from the drawers alone..
WSM
Deep South GC 28
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain
SCA Certified Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
The challenge I found when doing my first (and only so far) competition was the overhead of keeping things clean without the efficiency of a sink and running water. I filled a Gatorade cooler full of water and put it in the grassy area in my spot and used that to rinse hands/knives/etc and it worked well enough, but I'm interested what others do to lessen the overhead of cleaning and sanitation.
If you really want to get into it.. Try this

http://www.feelfantastic.biz/sink-build.html

I am working on something smaller
WSM
Deep South GC 28
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain
SCA Certified Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
TheDeuce
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
We use this with a 5 gallon bucket under the drain. Works great, super portable!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GI...ZLL&ref=plSrch

Old 03-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
NoNotTheDuo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

We use a camping water heater powered by mini propane tanks: https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-B...+camping+water

Fill up two 5 gallon buckets of water for the source and use a plastic bus tub as the sink. Empty the tub of the dirty water once things are washed.

The heater, the tub, and a towel for drying all fit pretty well on a 4' fold up table. Feels good to have everything cleaned before you head home Saturday afternoon. No need to do any more dishes after the comp.