The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
HogGrog
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg
Default Jocko's

Jocko's Steakhouse in Nipomo, CA is a regionally well-known "Santa Maria-style" bbq restaurant. Located near the north end of the Santa Maria Valley on California's Central Coast, Jocko's is a gem and a must-stop if in the area.

It was my first time and won't be the last as I plan to make Jocko's part of an annual pilgramage to CA's bbq holy land...The steak sandwich was very good with the distinct flavor of red oak smoke, unfortunately we arrived about 1:30pm (crowded even on off hrs on a Thur) and the pits don't fire up until 3ish and only the lunch menu available. The thinly sliced and expertly grilled top sirloin, probably cooked the night before, was heated on a flat top, served on buttery toasty bread with fresh pico de gallo and simple but excellent salt, pepper, cumin? flavored pinquitos and fresh side salad. Dang near forgot to take pics until almost done eating it was so good.

I wish I had gotten to see the pits fired up and tasted one of the whole cuts from the dinner menu, next time I will plan better. The giant pits and the enormous stack of red oak is an impressive sight. Afterward I spent the weekend in a campground nearby the SM Valley, the firewood vendor sold red oak only. At some point my wife asked why the campground smelled so sweet. There is something special about the smell of multiple red oak campfires and the taste of grilled open-fire red oak ember cooking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ysVS6MXKTwWtvQWZfCS%iw.jpg (60.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 5DdGK5vmRvuz9oJ0mWqVdQ.jpg (51.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Oq7SfS+fRoWQa%FmThjGrA.jpg (66.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg R6kEa+U%Q%GTK85MFF55zw.jpg (59.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg t7NrrQPaQyqx5bNdlFkvMA.jpg (47.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_12ea.jpg (83.2 KB, 114 views)
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 02-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
brbaker
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Brad

By far my favorite restaurant. A dinner there is definitely worth the trip. Reservations are a must and you’ll still probably have to wait a bit, but worth it. Prices are reasonable and portions are really good. Hope you get to go back.
brbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Been there a couple times and love that place! Watching the cook do his thang is pretty incredible. That's where I saw the value of a pigtail flipper vs. tongs for high volume cooking - no time to be squeezing and releasing tongs. They cook over a blazing fire with the grate pretty high up, which gives a great crust to the steaks, ribs, etc.

And yeah, the crowd is no joke - get reservations or think about going somewhere else.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
HogGrog
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^ Thanks, I definitely will be back for dinner, and from what I saw of the bar, I could hang out for a while.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Thanks for sharing HG. On my list for sure. Couldn't make the trek last time with Greg, Phubar and Padawan going up north to the Norcal Bash.
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum & Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
HogGrog
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^^
De Nada Sako. Highly recommend the voyage. Speaking of voyages, I gotta get to one these Bashes...
Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
tom b
Babbling Farker

I got there too early also they were just firing up the pits, gotta get back up there soon
Traeger Timberline 1300, Built in Santa Maria Pit, Weber Performer Deluxe 22 w/CB Rotisserie, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Bayou Classic 36" offset, WGA, Smokey Joe, Akorn Jr., Wood Fire Barrel Rotisserie cooker
tom b is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->