The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Grease Fire

It finally happened. While helping my daughter with her taxes, I hastily tossed some lump into the "cold" side of my charcoal basket to maintain the temp. In my rush, I neglected to notice that a few stray lumps fell onto the rim of the firebox. Since the lid could not close completely, lots of oxygen made for lots of flame inside the cooking chamber. By the time I smelled that something had gone terribly wrong, a rack of ribs was charred beyond recognition and the butt was also blackened. The ribs were wasted, the butt was salvageable, but I was to have no tasty bark with this pulled pork. Damn.

The Bandera baffle (mod) has a 4 inch notch burned out. Paint peeled off the cooker front door, and a Taylor digital thermometer was also sacrificed.

So, I gotta make a new baffle, sand and paint, and see Amazon for a new thermometer.

There is a question here: What is recommended for cleaning out the cooker? My thought is to scrape any charred bits from the inside, and then maybe hose out the bitch. Any reason why I should consider scrubbing it out with soap and water, Simple Green, or oven cleaner, and then re-seasoning? I hate to start over, but I guess I am concerned that, perhaps, there is more greasy residue than is safe.

Right. Let me have it.

Unread 04-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouQue View Post
It finally happened. While helping my daughter with her taxes, I hastily tossed some lump into the "cold" side of my charcoal basket to maintain the temp. In my rush, I neglected to notice that a few stray lumps fell onto the rim of the firebox. Since the lid could not close completely, lots of oxygen made for lots of flame inside the cooking chamber. By the time I smelled that something had gone terribly wrong, a rack of ribs was charred beyond recognition and the butt was also blackened. The ribs were wasted, the butt was salvageable, but I was to have no tasty bark with this pulled pork. Damn.

The Bandera baffle (mod) has a 4 inch notch burned out. Paint peeled off the cooker front door, and a Taylor digital thermometer was also sacrificed.

So, I gotta make a new baffle, sand and paint, and see Amazon for a new thermometer.

There is a question here: What is recommended for cleaning out the cooker? My thought is to scrape any charred bits from the inside, and then maybe hose out the bitch. Any reason why I should consider scrubbing it out with soap and water, Simple Green, or oven cleaner, and then re-seasoning? I hate to start over, but I guess I am concerned that, perhaps, there is more greasy residue than is safe.

Right. Let me have it.
I take mine to the car wash.

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller pro offset X 2
Brinkman Gourmet Smoker
7-N-1 r2d2 looking cooker(on loan never to be returned)
Slightly bent Weber kettle
Scratch and dent wally world Uniflame kettle
new link to new musical adventure coming soon!!!!
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw23 View Post
I take mine to the car wash.
Really? How do you steer it?

Unread 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Did you do the drain mod?

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
Did you do the drain mod?
Um, no. The bottom is lined with firebricks.

Unread 04-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

I know your pain. I burned up 15 racks of babybacks 2 weeks ago in my dera due to a grease fire.

I scraped all the crispy parts off the walls and door. I have a foil pan in the bottom of mine to make cleaning it out easier, guess I should have cleaned it out. I tossed the foil pan and put in a new one. Washed down everything with warm water mixed with some Simple Green. Sprayed out the whole thing with a garden hose and let air dry. Reseasoned the whole thing inside and out. Made sure to oil the hinges real good.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Um, no. The bottom is lined with firebricks.
Mine too. I wrap the fire bricks with aluminum foil. (Thanks Jorge). When they get nasty just toss the foil and wrap them again with new.

As Midnight suggested, Simple Green is a good choice if you decide to clean. Biodegradable.

Unread 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:

Fifteen racks of babybacks!? Holy Schnickeys! I got off easy. If my daughter hadn't been here, no one else would have even known. She said, "Dad, is it supposed to do that?"

Repainting the firebox exterior was in the plans for this Spring, anyway. I guess maybe I should go the whole mile. Simple Green and re-season, repaint the outside, new baffle, and DEFINITELY oil the hinges. Might put some planks on the service shelf too.

I used to keep a cookie sheet atop the firebricks, but gave up on keeping them pretty long ago.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Unread 04-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

At kookers kare for 2005 and 2006, I caught our double commerical KF on fire. It is cold out, so the grease drain plugs - and when you are running hot anyway to get 800lbs of butts done..... Viola! Pit fire. Flames out the stacks mod.

This year was Chris Early's turn. Burned off his grates, and then hit pit took off....

I would start over and reseason. Dont want any of that nasty sooty char hanging around.

Unread 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
fivelombardis
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Right. Let me have it.

first things first...post some pictures of that burned up biatch.

Unread 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
I would start over and reseason. Dont want any of that nasty sooty char hanging around.
Valid point.

Unread 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

I would scrape out what ya can, then heat it up to 350-400 and then fire the garden hose into the chamber(with a stream nozzle). Instant steam cleaning. Let the steam do the work, rinse and repeat. Then spray with PAM and raise the temps one last time.

I cleaned MOAB this way after it was shut for 8 months and had a science project growing inside. Came out great..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivelombardis View Post
first things first...post some pictures of that burned up biatch.
Sure. Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow afternoon. It's dark here now. On the plus side, the butt was damned yummy...even bark-less.

Unread 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
StLouQue

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
I would scrape out what ya can, then heat it up to 350-400 and then fire the garden hose into the chamber(with a stream nozzle). Instant steam cleaning. Let the steam do the work, rinse and repeat. Then spray with PAM and raise the temps one last time.

I cleaned MOAB this way after it was shut for 8 months and had a science project growing inside. Came out great..
Interesting, Phil. Are you suggesting there's no danger of warping this thin-ass steel by hitting hot with cold water?

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

All I ever do with mine is scrape out the grease from the bottom when the pit is warm and occasionally scrape out the dry stuff on top, then hit it with a weed burner to burn the grease out.
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Char-Griller Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote