MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default Bryan/College Station Texas

In a few weeks, I'm going to be here for a week. A few years ago, I ate at the Rudy's and had excellent brisket. A few months back, it was only fair. In any case, I was wondering if anyone had some other insight/recommendations. Incidentally, I will be departing on a Saturday and was planning to get to Snow's that morning before leaving. When do they run out of brisket and when should I be there? I notice Bryan has a Kreuz Market. I've been to the one in Lockhart. How does it compare? Other recommendations please.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Hotch
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Hotch

Get there early. We were there in September. In line at 7:55am. Had about a 2hr wait. Already out of pork steak and turkey. So be there real early for pork steak!

The Texas BBQ Brethren Bash is Changing in 2025
Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Have never been to Snow's but checked and it's only 204 miles away.

Wanna meet an old Texan?

When you know your schedule PM me. Haven't done a road trip in a while.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
In a few weeks, I'm going to be here for a week. A few years ago, I ate at the Rudy's and had excellent brisket. A few months back, it was only fair. In any case, I was wondering if anyone had some other insight/recommendations. Incidentally, I will be departing on a Saturday and was planning to get to Snow's that morning before leaving. When do they run out of brisket and when should I be there? I notice Bryan has a Kreuz Market. I've been to the one in Lockhart. How does it compare? Other recommendations please.
The Kruez in Bryan stands up nicely to the one in Lockhart. There is also Fargo's in Bryan that does well.

A short hop away is Truth BBQ one of the Texas Monthly top 50, Top 10 to be exact. It's in Brenham. www.truthbbq.com
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
Have never been to Snow's but checked and it's only 204 miles away.

Wanna meet an old Texan?

When you know your schedule PM me. Haven't done a road trip in a while.
Ok, I'll be there 4-9 March, so I'm looking tentatively at March 10 for Snow's. I don't have reservations yet, but that is the current plan....

Old 02-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
The Kruez in Bryan stands up nicely to the one in Lockhart. There is also Fargo's in Bryan that does well.

A short hop away is Truth BBQ one of the Texas Monthly top 50, Top 10 to be exact. It's in Brenham. www.truthbbq.com
That looks really good, but it might be tough to squeeze in. Friday to Sunday, 1100 to sell out. When do they sell out?

Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
frognot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Ok, I'll be there 4-9 March, so I'm looking tentatively at March 10 for Snow's. I don't have reservations yet, but that is the current plan....
On my calendar. It's looking good at this point.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
frognot

Gore, if you get a chance head south of Bryan to Sodolak's Original Country Inn in Snook. Get the two lb steak with a side of chicken fried bacon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

Large Big Green Egg

Old 02-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I make about a pound of chicken fried bacon every other month. The month in between is to let my cholesterol levels recover
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
Gore, if you get a chance head south of Bryan to Sodolak's Original Country Inn in Snook. Get the two lb steak with a side of chicken fried bacon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU
Oh my, that looks good!

Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #11
Gore
Phizzy

OK, looks like things are firming up. I should be flying in to Austin on Sunday evening and driving to College Station. Is there anything on the way. Last time, I went to Black's and it was excellent, but not exactly on the way.

I've got Sodolak's, Fargo's and possibly Kreuz on the agenda sometime and was told to go to C&J's.

May 10, I expect to be at Snow's about 7:00am to meet Frognot. I should have a couple other geeks along with me. I'll be the one with the gray beard. Then off to lunch at Mueller's before catching a late-afternoon plane.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't forget Martin's BBQ in Bryan. Been there a looong time.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/martins-place-bryan-2
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
Gore
Phizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
Don't forget Martin's BBQ in Bryan. Been there a looong time.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/martins-place-bryan-2

Well, looks like I'm going to be well fed!

Old 03-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

OK, I didn't do as much as I wanted, but I did do some.... Sunday night, nothing seemed to be open except Rudy's, so I ended up there with some ribs and brisket. I'd never had Rudy's ribs before. They were smokey and a bit different, which I generally like. They were in the fair to good range. I'd eat them again, but wouldn't search them out. The brisket was just meh. It was way underseasoned and a bit undercooked.

I had them back in December and had similar, so this seems a major drop-off in quality from a few years back.

I visited Sodolak's on a Tuesday night with 7 other colleagues. I really wanted to like the place badly, but the waitress was in a huff, bordering on rude. Well, actually, she was rude. She had no interaction with anyone, didn't smile and if you weren't ready with your order, she would just leave and go to the kitchen, coming back in a few minutes. They weren't busy or anything. The steak I had was the 2lb porterhouse. It was probably one of the most miserable pieces of meat I've eaten. It was tough and grizzly. The ribeyes seemed much better, from what I could see, and the chicken-fried steak seemed alright. The chicken-fried bacon was by far the best thing I saw or ate. It was much better than I expected.

Surprisingly, the BBQ in the Texas A&M student union was quite decent and I had a couple nice lunches there (sorry, no pics). By far the best meals I had were at C&Js on the edge of town.

Brisket was good, well seasoned if just a bit undercooked. The ribs were quite nice. Again, they had a different flavor, but much better than Rudy's. They were unsauced and cooked perfectly.

Ended up there three times. One evening we had a group of 20 of us.