The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
JayQ
On the road to being a farker

Default First smoke in the Memphis Pro.

I fired it up for the first time last night to burn it off and then cooked a few burgers so technically this is the second cook but my first low and slow smoke. I was impressed by the burgers. I did start them out around 250 for a few minutes (maybe 5) to see if the would pick up any smoke flavor then I cracked it up to max heat to see if it would really get to 650. It did... and boy did those burgers put off some smoke then... lol. Burgers came off with a very nice broiled crusty look to them. Wish I would have taken a pic because I looked way better than it sounds. I imagine I would have had char marks if I would have preheated the grill and let the grate get hot too. Believe it or not they did pick up a very small amount of noticeable smoke flavor which was very nice. But I could not wait until today to really see how this thing smokes..

Today I opened up a couple packs of spare ribs and a roll of jimmy dean sausage and bacon. Yep. Ribs and a bacon weave fatty for dinner.

Iím doing a generic rub and no extras to the ribs because I really want to know what kind of flavor to expect from my new toy. The fatty is rub seasoned cream cheese on a hickory bacon weave. Iím using the Memphis brand barbecue pellet and they are marked as apple. They really donít seem to put off much smoke but they smell great. Iíve also read to expect to see this because the Memphis exhaust vent the entire length of lid in the rear. We shall see.

I got the Memphis pro set at 225 and Iím actually in the house relaxing. Holy cow, this is new to me. Iíve always sat outside and drank coffee or soda while tending a fire. What am I supposed to do now... definitely not my honeydoos... well actually it wouldnít hurt to make the wifey dinner and get some things accomplished. Itís just always been my excuse not to...

Iíll try to post a few more pics later before we eat tonight.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
smokeswirl
Full Fledged Farker

Thats a terrific pit. Congratulations. Let us know how the food tastes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
smokeswirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
LordRiffenstein
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Very nice, canīt wait to see how the ribs and fatty turn out.

Isnīt it funny how we all go our ways differently? I started out with a pellet grill and recently got a stickburner and am really enjoying tending the fire.
LordRiffenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
JayQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
Very nice, canīt wait to see how the ribs and fatty turn out.

Isnīt it funny how we all go our ways differently? I started out with a pellet grill and recently got a stickburner and am really enjoying tending the fire.
Yeah it is. I just donít have the time I used to. I love tending a fire but now that I have children iíd rather just spend more time with them. One day after I retire Iíd like to get a big offset rig and travel around to the local festivals and make my magical barbecue. my wife thinks Iím crazy

Old 02-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
LordRiffenstein
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQ View Post
Yeah it is. I just donít have the time I used to. I love tending a fire but now that I have children iíd rather just spend more time with them. One day after I retire Iíd like to get a big offset rig and travel around to the local festivals and make my magical barbecue. my wife thinks Iím crazy
Although we donīt have children, I totally get that!

Strangely, we DO align in the 'wife thinks Iīm crazy' department
LordRiffenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looking great!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

Awaiting the money shot!
Thermoworks Smoke
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
JayQ

Bacon weave fatty is up. Who wants a slice?

I think I should have pulled it about 30 minutes ago because itís a little darker than I wanted but itís really hard to overcook one so I guess itís a wash. It taste pretty darn good and itís nice and smokey. Probably an hour and a half left on the ribs. Time to get busy cooking sides. Iím loving the Memphis. Now if I could only get the WiFi to connect consistently. I think Iím to far away from my router.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
rwalters
is one Smokin' Farker

Look forward to hearing your thoughts! Iíve cooked a lot of ribs on a lot of cookers, and my MAK 2 Star pellet grill puts out some of the best ribs Iíve ever made.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
JayQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Look forward to hearing your thoughts! Iíve cooked a lot of ribs on a lot of cookers, and my MAK 2 Star pellet grill puts out some of the best ribs Iíve ever made.
I can tell already that even with these Memphis apple pellets that it puts plenty of smoke flavor on pork for my family. I can tell you that Iím really impressed with the build and the operation so far. The taste test for me will be beef. Seems to me that beef needs more smoke to get the smoke profile Iím looking for. Iím guessing at this point but I think it will do the job just fine. I always ran my offset as clean as possible cause I didnít want to burp smoke after eating bbq. I got 10 pound of plate ribs and a brisket to cook this weekend (maybe) and I was hoping to try some different pellet. But I still have a lot of these pellets left in the hopper. Not sure if Iíll wait until my cooking pellets come in or just run it with these apple.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
rwalters
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayQ View Post
I can tell already that even with these Memphis apple pellets that it puts plenty of smoke flavor on pork for my family. I can tell you that Iím really impressed with the build and the operation so far. The taste test for me will be beef. Seems to me that beef needs more smoke to get the smoke profile Iím looking for. Iím guessing at this point but I think it will do the job just fine. I always ran my offset as clean as possible cause I didnít want to burp smoke after eating bbq. I got 10 pound of plate ribs and a brisket to cook this weekend (maybe) and I was hoping to try some different pellet. But I still have a lot of these pellets left in the hopper. Not sure if Iíll wait until my cooking pellets come in or just run it with these apple.

Will this Memphis be used as your primary grill, or is it gonna be used mainly for low n slow?

Old 02-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

Had the pleasure of using a Memphis at the American royal a few years ago. It's a very nicely built grill, and had super even heat.

And as stated above, I also love pellet cookers for ribs. I've cooked ribs on every type of pit possible ,and always go back to my pellet cooker for ribs.
Free Mr. Tony is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
JayQ

Glad I gave them the bend test because I nearly let them go to long. I guess thatís going to be something Iíve got to get better at since Iím not sitting outside with it all day. I took one bite as you can see. They came out very good. Smoke is subtle but definitely there. Itís nice and pleasing. The aftertaste as I type this out is very mild and satisfying. Smoke ring didnít show as well on the pic above but some of the other ribs had a great pink halo.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
JayQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Will this Memphis be used as your primary grill, or is it gonna be used mainly for low n slow?

I still got my offset and my wsm for now but if everything goes well with the beef ribs I may consider selling something. Iíd love the extra space.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #15
JVM59

I really need to re-think my approach for making a fatty. Yours looks fantastic.
Along with the ribs, that is a great looking cook!
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote