THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joshw

Babbling Farker
I don't do many briskets, but have been wanting to do one, on the YS640. I also like to play around with flavors, so I did some strange things, at least for me. It actually turned out pretty darn good.

Started by making my rub:
Dried Porcini mushrooms, ancho chiles, turbinado sugar, salt, black pepper, coffee, chipotle powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, and cocoa powder.
picture.php

Ran everything through the burr grinder.
picture.php

Then I made the injection, which was beef broth, 2 tbsp of rub, and a pack of french onion soup mix. I ground up the soup mix in the spice grinder, and
brought everything to a boil. Then cooled and strained before injecting the brisket. Then I added the rub, and marinated it overnight.
picture.php

picture.php

On the grill at 220*
picture.php

I have never liked wrapping in foil, but have never tried paper, so I thought this would be a good time. Wrapped when internal hit 160*
picture.php

Raised temps to 300* and cooked until IT of 190 then unwrapped, and cooked until probe tender. I pulled at 202*, tented, and let it rest for a couple of hours.
picture.php

picture.php

I think I am sold on the paper wrap. Overall, this was a great cook, and very good brisket. Now I just need to figure out how to get a smoke ring with a pellet grill:-D

You're being sarcastic about the smoke ring right? Because unless I've got some screen shift going on with the colors, I'm looking at a smoke ring. . .

You're being sarcastic about the smoke ring right? Because unless I've got some screen shift going on with the colors, I'm looking at a smoke ring. . .

No need to adjust your monitor. It seems like anytime I read about pellet grills, there is always someone saying you can't get a good smoke ring. That was my smart a$$ way of saying, look at the smoke ring.

No need to adjust your monitor. It seems like anytime I read about pellet grills, there is always someone saying you can't get a good smoke ring. That was my smart a$$ way of saying, look at the smoke ring.

I was about to say, wait, is that not a smoke ring. You had me questioning my understanding for Q for a sec there. :-D

Nice looking results. I've done two or three briskets on my Yoder and I love setting it up to run overnight without having to get up to add wood. I'm sure it was a delicious as it looked. Keep that picture handy for when people claim you can't get a good smoke ring from a pellet pooper.

I like the sound of that rub. Is this your go to rub?

I have a case of ADD when it comes to cooking, and don't cook anything the exact same way very often. So I can't say I have a go to rub. Just ideas, and a bad habit of not writing them down. Posting on this site has helped a little with documentation. I really did like this rub, and for what it is worth, I did take the time to squirrel it away in my paprika app. The peppers give it a nice heat, and the coffee and mushrooms give it that something different. Here is what I used if you are interested.

Chille Coffee Rub

1/4 cup Ground Coffee
2 Ancho Chilles
2 Tbsp black pepper
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp chipotle powder
2 tsp corriander
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp cumin
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms

I have a case of ADD when it comes to cooking, and don't cook anything the exact same way very often. So I can't say I have a go to rub. Just ideas, and a bad habit of not writing them down. Posting on this site has helped a little with documentation. I really did like this rub, and for what it is worth, I did take the time to squirrel it away in my paprika app. The peppers give it a nice heat, and the coffee and mushrooms give it that something different. Here is what I used if you are interested.

Chille Coffee Rub

1/4 cup Ground Coffee
2 Ancho Chilles
2 Tbsp black pepper
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tsp chipotle powder
2 tsp corriander
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp cumin
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms

Thanks dude. Totally going to give this a go.

Like your style Josh. Nothing strange about that. I like to play with different ingredients and my food as well. Looks great!

Like your style Josh. Nothing strange about that. I like to play with different ingredients and my food as well. Looks great!

Thanks, I was at the store, getting the beef broth, and happened to catch the soup mix out of the corner of my eye. Thought I was being really creative. Came home and was researching different injections, and realized I wasn't quite the visionary, that I thought I was.

Nice work! I never really get the knock on pellet cookers

I kind of get it. It is hard to believe, that they can turn out such good quality food, with so little effort. I still believe, that if you have a good stick burner, the time, and the know how, you can beat a pellet grill. But the first time you throw a hunk of meat on before work, and come home to good BBQ, it is hard not to be a believer. I am of the work smarter, not harder school of logic.

Back