MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #16
Steve S
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEStucker View Post
I think I'm actually wanting to try the Ceramic Pot Smoker he also built in Good Eats:
https://makezine.com/projects/clay-pot-smoker/

And yeah, I'm kinda wanting them to experience the whole process done right. Hence the planning for August in January to maybe build something at home that I can replicate there (or collapse for transport.) We have two cars, 1 - 2004 Buick LeSabre, 2 - 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis, neither have a hitch/receiver on them and generally the Buick is the road trip car (easier on gas than the Merc, though due to it being all highway, the Merc can pull low 30's with it's 4.6L V8 )
I second the idea of a kettle, or a smaller WSM, which can be broken down and put in the trunk of your car.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

If it were me, I'd purchase a drum smoker and have it shipped to them prior to your arrival. After the big event, you could choose to, based on how the whole exercise turned out, leave it with the family so they can embark upon the hallowed Barbecue Road in style, and with a capable unit (that you could use the next time you were visiting), or just ship it back to MO if her relatives can't figure out why you tried to poison them with smoke-borne carcinogens after forcing them to swig beer for hours while delaying dinner. This option would give you a drum smoker, which we all want, all of us....

In the end, either way you win. Good luck with it!
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
Pig_Farmer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL View Post
If it were me, I'd purchase a drum smoker and have it shipped to them prior to your arrival. After the big event, you could choose to, based on how the whole exercise turned out, leave it with the family so they can embark upon the hallowed Barbecue Road in style, and with a capable unit (that you could use the next time you were visiting), or just ship it back to MO if her relatives can't figure out why you tried to poison them with smoke-borne carcinogens after forcing them to swig beer for hours while delaying dinner. This option would give you a drum smoker, which we all want, all of us....

Genius
Southwest Bash link:
Http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=256212
SW Bash Sign Up Sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #19
grisch
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholloway View Post
Alton Brown (Good Eats) made a BBQ smoker from a cardboard box and an electric hot plate with a cast iron skillet to hold the wood chips.
Google cardboard box bbq smoker.
speaking of Alton brown, his City ham recipe, smoked instead of baked of course, is a crowd pleaser during holidays.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...recipe-2013153

Old 01-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #20
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

There are plenty of cheap, but adequate for beginner smokers out there. Have one shipped to them from the retailer as a Christmas present. Ready to go when you arrive. It will not be their "forever" smoker, but it will be a great intro and a lot 0f fun.

Just be sure this is something they actually want to do

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #21
Cook
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jay

14" WSM or steamer mini-UDS. Either should travel well.

Otherwise, cook/freeze/travel.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #22
pharp
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't know if it is a southern thing, but pretty much every bank in town has a smoker they use for community events. This isn't a community event really, but if any of your family work at a bank or know someone who does you could probably have a nice piece of equipment to work with.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #23
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Dang! What would have been had you headed South?

I agree with the others, cook ahead and vacpak. Dry ice in the chest. Vacpack actually can taste better than the day you cooked it. Low stress, low drag.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
GrillEye Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #24
pharp
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Dang! What would have been had you headed South?

I agree with the others, cook ahead and vacpak. Dry ice in the chest. Vacpack actually can taste better than the day you cooked it. Low stress, low drag.
I wasn't saying that he could do that if he was heading south. I was saying that if he had any relatives working at a bank in Maine he could see if they did the same thing. I have never been to Maine so I don't know if that is a common thing there or not.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:15 PM   #25
locosmoke
On the road to being a farker

pit barrel cooker shipped straight to maine then u don't even need to bring rubs just use ones that come with it. leave it for them or ship home its a win all the way around.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:07 AM   #26
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL View Post

^^^^^^
This
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 05:43 AM   #27
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it were me I’d Get one of these for my BIl as a gift or permanent loan.
Lots of options from prep and carry to cook onsite. Some famous Q joints ship their finished products.

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/prod...ry/pit-barrel/

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=255663

Last edited by 16Adams; 01-04-2018 at 06:39 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #28
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

As much as I love the uds, in this case I would go there, pick up a kettle, and edumacate them.

A kettle can turn out some of the best q, it's very compact for those places where houses sell for $500 a square foot, it's not imposing, it's ubiquitous, and they can grill some amazing burgers or brats or what not.

That's called a win win win situation
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 06:55 AM   #29
DustyQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Don't know if it is a southern thing, but pretty much every bank in town has a smoker they use for community events. This isn't a community event really, but if any of your family work at a bank or know someone who does you could probably have a nice piece of equipment to work with.

I'm in Pennsylvania; lived in a lot of small and moderate sized towns throughout the state and I've never known any bank to have or operate a smoker. Closest thing here is the occasional fire department that does "BBQ" chicken. Basically chicken halves cooked hot and fast in a brick/block pit over hot charcoal with an herb/vinegar sauce.

That being said, it sounds awesome and I think its a practice that should be signed into law. Kudos to the Arkansawyers.
DustyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #30
Dweverett
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I’d consider doing a combination of things. Assuming you need a decent amount of food for the event, cook in advance and reheat as others have suggested. I’d also have them grab a kettle off Craigslist and supplement it with some food you cook there - might do a bunch of appetizers.

Could buy and take a slow and sear with you to make it really easy but could also just use some firebricks. Keep or leave the slow and sear when you leave