The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
JEStucker
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff
Default Educating the In-Laws

A little background here-
I was born and raised in Missouri, did a lot of traveling as a kid (Grandparents had property in Colorado and summer trips to see them often involved side camping trips to any number of states) by the time I was 21-22, I had been to every state west of the Mississippi in the lower 48. I turned 23 and decided to head east, with my sights set on New England. I had a friend that was in the Coast Guard and was stationed in Boston, Mass., and he had extra bedrooms in his base provided housing.

I moved, I got a job, I wandered and I loved it, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, Maine (I love Maine.) So, I met a woman, divorced, kids, fell in love, discovered how expensive it is to live in the North East, and convinced her to move back to Missouri (my old job was always a phone call away, I made sure of that)

We've been married now for 17 years, the kids have grown up, we have grandkids (scary at times) and we try and go back to see her family in Maine at least once a year.

The whole point of this...
Outside of a few restaurant chains trying to edge into the region, these people have no concept of Bar-B-Que. To them a BBQ is when you throw burgers and hot dogs on the gas grill. My brother-in-law is finally grasping the concept, but no one seems to really grasp the art that cooking is...

Now I'm working on sorting out how to get real BBQ to our next family event (reunion in August.) Making it ahead of time is questionable, as it's a 30 hour drive if you go straight through, we usually break it up into 2 days. Don't have a portable smoker (or anything to tow it) and not sure if I could get there and build a UDS in time (or find everything I need)...

Thoughts or Ideas?
JEStucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Have a pbc or wsm shipped There. It'll be there whenever you visit.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

You say they grill. What cooker do they have? Many here turn out great food using a kettle or other charcoal burners.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
SmittyJonz

Buy a Truck or SUV and a trailer pit........come down here and buy Paul’s/PJTexas Shirley trailer - it’s too Big for him.......

Old 01-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
bgross88

I'm not sure how many you'll be cooking for, but you could buy a kettle when you get to Maine...do some free "classes", cook a ton of quality food; then leave the kettle behind for your bro-in-law.

Not too expensive for a kettle, easy to cook on for him moving forward.

Obviously, if you're cooking for a ton of people, a kettle probably doesn't work.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

Cook meat in advance, vacuum seal, freeze, put in cooler, and transport there. Reheat on site.

No biggie

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
DustyQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dusty

Option #1:
There are two routes through PA on your way to Maine. Route 80 across the middle of the state and route 76 across the southern part of the state. The southern route will run you within 30 min of my place. I'd gladly meet you somewhere and help you strap my UDS to the roof of whatever you're driving. That way you'd only have to haul it half way there and half way back.

Option#2:
Make your Q at home. let cool then vacuum seal and refrigerate. pack in a cooler and make the trip. reheat sous vide style in 190 -200F water till heated through. The taste is just like fresh Q minus some crunchy bark.

OPTION#3:
Have someone back east buy or build a smoker for you to use when you arrive. A craigslist COS can be found pretty readily in my area ($25 example below) with a little tune up and a good thermometer you're in business.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/hs...412474219.html

Last edited by DustyQ; 01-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: typo
DustyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I'm with SudsandSwine and DustyQ,

Vac packed Q reheats just fine.

David

On the Shirley waitlist - "The waiting is the hardest part." - Tom Petty

(Former pits: Klose 20" x 48" (aka: "Smokey Mary"), New Braunfel's El Dorado)
"There's nothing magical about 225, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Are you trying to get them to experience the food, or the whole process of BBQ? If just the food, smoke a brisket and a butt. After they rest and cool down, cut in to chunks, vacuum seal, and freeze. Load up a good cooler with ice and meat chunks, travel. When ready to serve, put bagged chunks into pots of cold water, bring to a boil, turn off heat, cover, wait 30 mins, slice and serve.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
Sid Post
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought a 14" WSM for $70 (no haggling either) that looked brand new. 20# of ham is a full load but, it turned out nice even though airflow was a bit compromised. Broken down, it is about the size of large gym bag that can be broken down into separate pieces to 'fit' a packed car trunk. It would fit on a trailer hitch carrier 'box' pretty easy too.

A 14" WSM isn't the best option for most people but, it certainly is nice for 'car camping' and travel in general. It also is great for small cooks for a single person or young couple. YMMV but, at $200 brand new it certainly provides a great entry point into real smoked meat BBQ for most people.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
EricD
is one Smokin' Farker

Straight up M******* here! I too, love Maine. Had a condo on Sunday River ski resort years ago. Have friends on Sebago lake too.
Back on topic..... I have a couple kettles, WSM and other toys. Your welcome to borrow any one of them. Either stop by my house (20min from the Pike, 20min from rt 495)
and we can strap it on your car, or you can cook in my backyard if you want, use my vacuum sealer, and finish your drive (about 3 hrs to Maine border).
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie, The Big Easy, Infrared temp gun
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #12
EricD
is one Smokin' Farker

Forgot I can't say what Mainers call us Mass people on this site.
Mass hole
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie, The Big Easy, Infrared temp gun
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #13
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Alton Brown (Good Eats) made a BBQ smoker from a cardboard box and an electric hot plate with a cast iron skillet to hold the wood chips.
Google cardboard box bbq smoker.

New Braunfels Hondo Offset
New Braunfels Bandera (Refurbished & Improved)
37 year old Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
DustyQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Are you trying to get them to experience the food, or the whole process of BBQ? If just the food, smoke a brisket and a butt. After they rest and cool down, cut in to chunks, vacuum seal, and freeze. Load up a good cooler with ice and meat chunks, travel. When ready to serve, put bagged chunks into pots of cold water, bring to a boil, turn off heat, cover, wait 30 mins, slice and serve.
This is an excellent point. If you just want to get food to their mouths, vac seal and transport is your best option. But your original post says you want them to "grasp the art". The only real way to convey that is with a smoker, spray bottle, a few lawn chairs, a cooler fulla brewskies and a day with the family.
DustyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
JEStucker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholloway View Post
Alton Brown (Good Eats) made a BBQ smoker from a cardboard box and an electric hot plate with a cast iron skillet to hold the wood chips.
Google cardboard box bbq smoker.
I think I'm actually wanting to try the Ceramic Pot Smoker he also built in Good Eats:
https://makezine.com/projects/clay-pot-smoker/

And yeah, I'm kinda wanting them to experience the whole process done right. Hence the planning for August in January to maybe build something at home that I can replicate there (or collapse for transport.) We have two cars, 1 - 2004 Buick LeSabre, 2 - 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis, neither have a hitch/receiver on them and generally the Buick is the road trip car (easier on gas than the Merc, though due to it being all highway, the Merc can pull low 30's with it's 4.6L V8 )

Last edited by JEStucker; 01-03-2018 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: erased an emoji that formed with an 8 and a )
JEStucker is offline   Reply With Quote