The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #16
Burnbern
Knows what a fatty is.

I’m in the UK and when I was looking around I came across a company that supply’s Yoder smokers there are BBQ Europe https://www.bbqeurope.com/ I hope it is ok to post the link. Have a look at what they have and they will ship to you.

I was going to get one but decided to build my own. I built a 24” x 42”. I purchased all the steel and welder and equipment to go with and built it t to my needs and it cost me about £1200. That includes everything from start to finish.

Forgot to eat I built an offset smoker and love it. I thought that it might be to big for the wife and i. But so far I’ve cooked for a number of friends. They supply the meat and I use my rubs and cook it for them and get the needed practise in smoking them

Last edited by Burnbern; 01-03-2018 at 05:11 PM..
Burnbern is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #17
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
Yeah, I didn´t mention it because because I am not sure to get 2nd hand or new. A new OK Joe 16" in 6mm is about 1500-1600euro so for a 2nd hand one I´d say around 900 would be an ok price.

Not sure a OK Joe Bandera is available over here in Europe, there are some shops in Belgium/Holland/Germany selling OK Joe though.

Overall, budget wise, I´d like to keep it around 1500euro MAX, for a new one, knowing that I´d be buying something for the rest of my life.

Are you sure we are discussing comparable models? If im correct the exchange rates 1.2?

1500 euro is 1200 us?

The longer ok joe is the longhorn here, the shorter one is the highland. I thought the were the same diameter but not sure 100%

The longhorn goes for under $600 and the highland is around 300.

If these are comparable models your best to find a fab shop and see what they can do. I can't see it being more for something the level of our ok joe product line

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
okiej
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a kettle I love and use a lot. I have had 2 16" horizontal offsets. A Brinkman Pro and an old Oklahoma Joe. Due to temp difference even with a convection plate I find the space very limited. If I got another horizontal it would be no less than 20" even though it's just me and the wife. Right now I am in the process of getting a Bandera vertical offset clone. So I would recommend the Bandera or a 20" horizontal. That's just my experience and thoughts on the matter. Good luck. Choosing is hard!
Super-Fast Thunder Blue Thermapen
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 AM   #19
OklaDustDevil
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Well, this is gonna be an outside-the-box suggestion, but I think you should look at the Karubecue. Look it up on-line and you'll find the KBQ website. It was invented by an engineer in Texas to burn wood and produce ideal BBQ'ing smoke with minimal expertise and effort. All you have to do is add wood every 30-45 min. Also check out the reviews on AmazingRibs.com.

I think it would be particularly good for you because it ships in two boxes, is much lighter than a typical offset smoker, and therefore should be much cheaper to ship overseas. It also uses wood pieces the size of bricks, which should be more efficient for your wood situation in Europe. I lived in England for 5 years and shipped my smoker when I moved over, but if I hadn't also stuck 300 lbs of smoking logs in the sealander with my furniture, wood would have been a big problem.

I believe the inventor still makes them in his Texas garage, to a high standard, so there's also a cool home built factor in buying one. Anyway, that's my pov.

Good luck!
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner
OklaDustDevil is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 03:52 AM   #20
LordRiffenstein
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Are you sure we are discussing comparable models? If im correct the exchange rates 1.2?

1500 euro is 1200 us?

The longer ok joe is the longhorn here, the shorter one is the highland. I thought the were the same diameter but not sure 100%

The longhorn goes for under $600 and the highland is around 300.

If these are comparable models your best to find a fab shop and see what they can do. I can't see it being more for something the level of our ok joe product line
Yeah, they are VERY expensive here! I have found some shops in Germany with better prices for the OK Joes but still a LOT.
LordRiffenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 AM   #21
LordRiffenstein
is one Smokin' Farker

A lot of great stuff here. Did some more digging around and found a few shops in Germany that sell interesting stuff. The one that peaked my interest is below. Found a LOT of reviews on a German forum, all very good.

They have a lot of options available, I'm looking at the 16" Long or 20" Long, both in 6mm steel. On the 16" I am considering adding a 2nd grate in the cooking chamber.

16" Long

20" Long

Both pretty much tick all the boxes. If I add the options I want, the 20" costs about 1600euro, so that is more or less the same as a 16" OK Joe.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #22
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

6.2mm is .25 inch so it seems its built solid and has a welded firebox. Might be worth a closer look. I'd also consider adding the heat management plate.

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #23
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
6.2mm is .25 inch so it seems its built solid and has a welded firebox. Might be worth a closer look. I'd also consider adding the heat management plate.
Right and .25 inch is way thicker than the ok joe so its not even a fair comparison

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #24
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

@riffenstein , sorry no suggestions here but a request.

what does your wood fired oven look like?
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #25
IXL
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
A lot of great stuff here. Did some more digging around and found a few shops in Germany that sell interesting stuff. The one that peaked my interest is below. Found a LOT of reviews on a German forum, all very good.

They have a lot of options available, I'm looking at the 16" Long or 20" Long, both in 6mm steel. On the 16" I am considering adding a 2nd grate in the cooking chamber.

16" Long

20" Long

Both pretty much tick all the boxes. If I add the options I want, the 20" costs about 1600euro, so that is more or less the same as a 16" OK Joe.
I like the option of adding a kettle over the fire box. As for size, I've never known anyone, regardless of whether they were only cooking for two people or not, who was happy with a 16" size after purchasing one: my vote is for the 20."
IXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #26
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXL View Post
I like the option of adding a kettle over the fire box. As for size, I've never known anyone, regardless of whether they were only cooking for two people or not, who was happy with a 16" size after purchasing one: my vote is for the 20."
I am happy with my 16" Lyfe Tyme, and it is just me and the wife most of the time. If I had a choice, I would prefer a 24", but the 16" is already paid for, and it is all I need most of the time.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #27
Sid Post
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

16" Long

20" Long

Did I miss the diameter? Or is it the length?

From the pics I saw, they both looked pretty nice, much nicer than a 'big box store' smoker IMHO.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #28
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

The 16" and 20" referred to in his post are the diameters, not the lengths.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #29
Hoss
Babbling Farker

WSM 22. Fuggetaboutit.Shipping will kill ya.If money is no concern,buy a Shirley.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2018, 04:05 AM   #30
LordRiffenstein
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
@riffenstein , sorry no suggestions here but a request.

what does your wood fired oven look like?
It seems I don't have a proper picture of the oven 'house', should make one.
It has the oven, and room to store wood and I originally had my pellet grill in there too. Found some pics, added them.

Some pictures:

Oven and wood fire

Inside the oven

It is fairly big and I think originally, it was used to bake bread. The previous owners had it restored but never used it