The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Getting SKD to Comp+stupid questions

I am going to sign up to enter my first competition. The Red, White & BBQ in Westmont, IL- about 30 min from my house. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on transporting my Smoke King Deluxe to and from there or about setting up and tearing down in general? I will have to rent a trailer to tow behind my van. Any benefits to a covered v. open trailer?? (Have seen an open u-haul in the pics section)
Also, what do you do with the hot ash/embers at the end??
bbqneo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

I rented from UHaul last year for three contests ..

1) A closed 5 x 8, 2) an open 6 x 12, 3) the smallest box truck....

Closed 5 x 8 - only bad part was not having a ramp on that size from U haul

Open 6 x 12 - the ramp was good, and was great being able to keep my pit on the platform when cooking on the contest site.. the bad part was the low side rails..needing to bungee cord everything and then a plastic tarp over it (rain that weekend !!!)... Had to drive 200 miles to the contest with the wind whipping up under the tarp and tearing it to shreds

Smallest Box Truck - cost me $400 as I had to pay per mile... No ramp.. difficult to load, too high off the ground. lots of space...

Those three experiences gave me all I needed to make up my mind that I wanted my opwn trailer for the convenience of not needing to deal with a rental the day before and after a contest...

Bought my own trailer this year... 5 x 8 enclosed Haulmark trailer with ramp... I can fit everything I need in it.. Would have went slightly bigger but my driveway is not wide enough and I can't back up a trailer for chit !!!.

As for ash - most contests have a receptacle to carry them over... Buy a small ash can from a fireplace store or Home Depot etc...

Unread 03-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Echo what Vinny said.

Personally, I'd go the enclosed route. We use a horse trailer right now - my fully enclosed is a little small. The horse trailer is .... plenty big.

Also, you may want to seriously consider going the WSM route to supplement that SKD. Or, crazy as it sounds, buy 2 new WSM and just pack em IN your van and leave the sKD at home. Lotsa options.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Is there any advantage to leaving the smoker on an open trailer for cooking at the comp? At this point I want to use the SKD - what I'm used to and trailers reasonable for weekend rental. Dumb question 2: take the cooking grates out and in a box for transport, or just put at bottom of cooker??

Unread 03-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Echo what Vinny said.

Personally, I'd go the enclosed route. We use a horse trailer right now - my fully enclosed is a little small. The horse trailer is .... plenty big.

Also, you may want to seriously consider going the WSM route to supplement that SKD. Or, crazy as it sounds, buy 2 new WSM and just pack em IN your van and leave the sKD at home. Lotsa options.
I saw a guy at a comp last year and all he used were WSMs. Looked neat seeing them all arouind his camp.
-KCBS Judge #21924
-36" Kingfisher Combo
-New Braunfels Bandera (rescued)
-Weber 22.5" Kettle (rescued)
-A homemade trailer cooker
-Concession trailer nicknamed "The Dawg House"
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/BarkinDawgsBBQCatering[/URL]
Puppyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy View Post
I saw a guy at a comp last year and all he used were WSMs. Looked neat seeing them all arouind his camp.
Outside of my barrel, my team has all WSM's. Need to grill? Just take out the middle section.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have the open, you don't have to unload your pit. Less work for you.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy View Post
Me too. It makes a lot of sense actually.

Unread 03-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Outside of my barrel, my team has all WSM's. Need to grill? Just take out the middle section.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have the open, you don't have to unload your pit. Less work for you.
I have heard of things going tragically wrong while cooking with a portable pit on a standard flat bed traily that was not 'prepped' for the purpose.

Plus, I generally do not see the advantage to it other than saving 5 minutes and a possible strained back. The SKD or Bandera are easily maneuvered by two half sober guys. OTOH, I would be apt to fall of a trailer, sober or not.

Unread 03-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Me too. It makes a lot of sense actually.
How many bandera/BSKD owners use them in competitions?? Or, have most users moved on to other pits??

Unread 03-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqneo View Post
Is there any advantage to leaving the smoker on an open trailer for cooking at the comp? At this point I want to use the SKD - what I'm used to and trailers reasonable for weekend rental. Dumb question 2: take the cooking grates out and in a box for transport, or just put at bottom of cooker??
Advantage if you go this route is : no need to load and unload at the site and keeps the public at bay if the contest will have lots of foot traffic or nosey people.

Grates can be at bottom of cooker or exactly where they are now... They are made of steel so nothing is gonna break...

Unread 03-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
How many bandera/BSKD owners use them in competitions?? Or, have most users moved on to other pits??
We use 2 banderas, and are adding the WSM. I would say MOST have moved on to other pits. Too much darn work. In my are, almost nobody uses a bander/ skd.

Since MrSmoker UPGRADED BIG TIME to his spicewines, I am not sure I will see another Bander SKD out there.

Unread 03-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dave (Chad) and I used my Studedera and WSM's for a couple of seasons,
Worked fine--just lots of work, but fun.
He bought Kingfisher--lots of work, but fun.
I bought FEC100--time will tell.

Start with what ya have and know.
Go have a good time.
See what you like and don't.
Stay with what you have or upgrade as you see fit.

Ain't no hurry--

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Now granted I have not actually been in a competition. But, my thinking is at a competition I can cat nap and play with the smoker overnight. I would rather have a wsm or set it and forget it type for at home to cook overnight for family gatherings/parties where I need to be up with the kids early.

Unread 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now granted I have not actually been in a competition. But, my thinking is at a competition I can cat nap and play with the smoker overnight. I would rather have a wsm or set it and forget it type for at home to cook overnight for family gatherings/parties where I need to be up with the kids early.
Cat naps work.
You will be running on adrenaline anyway for your first few comps!
Playing with the smoker is nice.

Looking at your second sentence--it is really nice to be awake and alert at comps when you are doing the "finicky" things like ribs, chicken, box prep, and final presentation for $$$$$$$.
Getting some quality sleep is probably the major advantage given by the more sophisticated or care free cookers like the WSM and all.
It is nice to to be alert on presentation day.

FWIW

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
bbqneo
Knows what a fatty is.

Would a BBQ Guru installed on my BSKD allow for a hassle free burn long enough for sleep??