The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #31
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
Typically you stand the piece of wood on one end and split it from the top down (lengthwise along the grain). It sounds like you're laying it on its side and trying to split it while it is lying flat. While it is possible to split wood that way, it is a whole lot harder.
This.
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #32
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
Typically you stand the piece of wood on one end and split it from the top down (lengthwise along the grain). It sounds like you're laying it on its side and trying to split it while it is lying flat. While it is possible to split wood that way, it is a whole lot harder.

Iím using a 10 ton manual hydraulic splitter. So itís splitting from the top, just laying down.
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #33
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the same issue with some of my pecan splits... I've got a pretty good splitting axe (Fiskars) and it cuts through most wood like butter, but other times I put everything I have into it and I barely even dent the wood... my hands rattle like all hell. I will take those and cut them down with my chop saw until they are quite a bit smaller, and then I can split them pretty easily.

Gorilla Fabrications Wood/Propane Hog style smoker
SmoothBoarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #34
Burnt at Both Endz
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Iím using a 10 ton manual hydraulic splitter. So itís splitting from the top, just laying down.
The end of a piece of wood is like a road map, you need to look for the correct area to split. If you look at the picture of the piece of wood you showed in the firebox, see the cracks in the end of it? That is where it should be positioned in the splitter, same thing if using a splitting maul.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
Lawnguy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Green wood is hard to split. If its wet and heavy it can be split, but it will take a lot more force to do it. If the wood is only 6 months old then its green and not really ready to split.

If it was dry it would split easily by hand and like nothing on a log splitter.

I have a 22 ton and while it will split green wood, it does struggle a bit. Especially if the wood is full of knots.

Let it dry out for a few more months and try it again.
Lawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #36
Adjg04
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

Sounds like your wood is pretty dry to me, wood always splits best when itís green. But some trees are just denser than others might have just got a harder tree. My family and I have a lumber business and a log that has been cut a year or so cuts way harder than green tree.
Adjg04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #37
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default Dense hard wood

Okay, now itís split them when they are green? Man, wood is more complicated than I figured it to be. I had a time table to split my logs 6 months after I purchased them and now have a somewhat huge pile of ones I canít break down further.

I might just ask for my miter saw back from my neighbor and just make chunks.
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2018, 05:41 AM   #38
Monkey Uncle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
Sorry - I missed the part in your OP where you said it was a manual splitter. I was picturing one of those powered splitters that splits vertically.

As Burnt at Both Endz noted, placement of the grain of the wood relative to the splitting wedge is of paramount importance. Typically the splitting wedge is oriented perpendicular to the growth rings of the wood. Many pieces also can be split pretty easily by orienting the wedge parallel to the rings (i.e., you could split the point off of those triangular shaped pieces pretty easily, as long as you aren't trying to split through a knot). But the wedge has to be either perpendicular or parallel to the growth rings - any other angle won't work.

All I can figure is you aren't orienting the wedge properly relative to the growth rings, or the splitter you're using isn't up to the task. As I said, the picture you posted does not appear to include any problematic pieces. They aren't particularly large, and cherry is pretty soft compared to many other smoking woods.

I suggest you split by hand for a while until you get the hang of how to place the wedge. Use a sledge hammer and wedge, not a maul (a maul makes it harder to get the orientation exactly right, and you have to be able to hit exactly the same spot multiple times until the wood splits).
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote