The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM   #46
BobBrisket
Moderator
 
BobBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-11-07
Location: El Paso, TX
Name/Nickname : Bob
Default

Kinda funny how things kinda do a turnabout. I had started out with an old modded Brinkmann S&P. I learned how to use it and mastered the curve, but then marriage and kids came along and allnighters with the stick burner were a no go. Bought a WSM, built several UDS's. I have given them all away. I now stick to my Kettles, BUT now that the kids are older and I can get all the damn pecan I want.........I want to go back to a stick burner. The flavor profile is much different. I miss that flavor. I use the PBC to get my fix, but still want to burn stick again.

Bob
__________________
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 12-04-2017 at 10:45 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->


Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #47
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 07-19-13
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Ban!!!!!!!!

Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #48
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-01-17
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : EL Luchador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I guarantee you I could pass the "Pepsi challenge" between a brisket cooked using a clean wood fire and one using a charcoal fueled smoker 100% of the time. I get the convenience factor - I still use and love my Primo XL with some quality lump, and I've cooked on and owned most of the popular charcoal fueled smokers out there, but the two produce noticeably different products. That doesn't mean one or the other is bad, but IMO they're definitely not the same.

There are times when running a stick burner is not feasible for me, but it's usually related to the start up and shut down (cooling off time) required as opposed to the level of effort in feeding logs for the cook itself. Stepping outside every 30 to 40 minutes to plop a new log on the fire is hardly time consuming and aside from having to physically leave the house for something (which I wouldn't do with any style of cooker running a live fire anyway) it's hardly more work, especially when the end result is taken into consideration.

One of the best things cooking on a stick burner did for me was to break me from the "the entire cook must run at ___ degrees or else it'll be a major fail" mentality...now I generally operate on a 50* +/- window and aim to keep it at a particular median temperature some of the time. I used to be so anal about keeping a cooker at some particular temperature otherwise some catastrophic undesirable end result would occur. But, it never did, I just turned out some really awesome barbecue if I'm somewhere aroundish 265-330*.

But most importantly, figure out what works for you and your lifestyle and keep on barbecuing - that's what matters
the "pepsi" challenge - we need to do that one. maybe I should organize one for two or three guys here in NTX before I sell my stick burners.

a couple of things for me about wood vs charcoal.
1. the best and cleanest fire out of my stick burner was when the wood was burned down to charcoal embers-clean clean clean and smelled great. I could only smell the meat and the heat, no smoke to see or smell. thats essentially hardwood lump.
2. good smoke should be barely there. the meat is the star of the show - either wood, or charcoals can get one there.

as for just plopping a stick on every 30 mins- disagree there. significantly more time consuming that you suggest- plop the wood on, open the vents, check that the wood has caught, let it come up to temp, start adjuting the vents, then eventually its at a good state then I can go back in and resume what ever me and the family were doing -thankfully I have a patient wife.

I will agree on the stick burner breaking the temp habit. I used to try to get ±2 degrees with charcoal. now , if Im within 50° its all good.






Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Kinda funny how things kinda do a turnabout. I had started out with an old modded Brinkmann S&P. I learned how to use it and mastered the curve, but then marriage and kids came along and allnighters with the stick burner were a no go. Bought a WSM, built several UDS's. I have given them all away. I now stick to my Kettles, BUT now that the kids are older and I can get all the damn pecan I want.........I want to go back to a stick burner. The flavor profile is much different. I miss that flavor. I use the PBC to get my fix, but still want to burn stick again.

Bob
I feel you and felt exactly how you felt- most feel wood is most authentic- so I acquired two wood burners to test it. there was no value added for me so going back to charcoal.

I do believe that to get the best out of a stick burner requires a huge unit that can burn 4-6 sticks at a time.

but, as a wise man once said:
Quote:
But most importantly, figure out what works for you and your lifestyle and keep on barbecuing - that's what matters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Ban!!!!!!!!
lol

Last edited by el luchador; 12-04-2017 at 11:37 PM..
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #49
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
gtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Culver City, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Kinda funny how things kinda do a turnabout. I had started out with an old modded Brinkmann S&P. I learned how to use it and mastered the curve, but then marriage and kids came along and allnighters with the stick burner were a no go. Bought a WSM, built several UDS's. I have given them all away. I now stick to my Kettles, BUT now that the kids are older and I can get all the damn pecan I want.........I want to go back to a stick burner. The flavor profile is much different. I miss that flavor. I use the PBC to get my fix, but still want to burn stick again.

Bob
One thing that's great when the kids get teenage is that they're old enough to split wood. My older son (16) is ready to do manly chit so he likes to split wood. I just cooked 130# of butts this weekend, I didn't swing the maul once, and there's plenty wood left over.

I love days when I have time to use the offset, and I also love having verticals & kettles for when time doesn't allow for tending a fire all day. My preference is stickburning, but I just don't have the time to do it as often as I'd like. A beautiful day with the Klose chugging along is a glorious thing indeed.
__________________
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
Avatar by my son!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #50
JokerBroker
On the road to being a farker

 
JokerBroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-17
Location: Commerce Twp, MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
as for just plopping a stick on every 30 mins- disagree there. significantly more time consuming that you suggest- plop the wood on, open the vents, check that the wood has caught, let it come up to temp, start adjusting the vents, then eventually its at a good state then I can go back in and resume what ever me and the family were doing
Generally speaking, I agree with most of everyone's points of view on this thread but this particular observation may only hold true with offsets that aren't designed as well as they could be. I always preheat my splits by placing them to the side of the fire. This is easier to do when you have a large firebox. Once it's preheated and its time to add to the fire, I can plop it on the coal bed and walk away. There is no need to adjust vents, make sure the wood catches (because it always does), and the temp hardly fluctuates at all because 1/4" plate holds the heat so well. It takes a concentrated effort to move my temps up or down once they are stabile. The only thing I have to watch out for is waiting too long to add another split because the temps will hold for a while even after the fire is almost out.
__________________
LSG 24x40, BGE (Large)
JokerBroker is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #51
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

 
Beentown's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-14-14
Location: Central OH
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I guarantee you I could pass the "Pepsi challenge" between a brisket cooked using a clean wood fire and one using a charcoal fueled smoker 100% of the time. I get the convenience factor - I still use and love my Primo XL with some quality lump, and I've cooked on and owned most of the popular charcoal fueled smokers out there, but the two produce noticeably different products. That doesn't mean one or the other is bad, but IMO they're definitely not the same.

There are times when running a stick burner is not feasible for me, but it's usually related to the start up and shut down (cooling off time) required as opposed to the level of effort in feeding logs for the cook itself. Stepping outside every 30 to 40 minutes to plop a new log on the fire is hardly time consuming and aside from having to physically leave the house for something (which I wouldn't do with any style of cooker running a live fire anyway) it's hardly more work, especially when the end result is taken into consideration.

One of the best things cooking on a stick burner did for me was to break me from the "the entire cook must run at ___ degrees or else it'll be a major fail" mentality...now I generally operate on a 50* +/- window and aim to keep it at a particular median temperature some of the time. I used to be so anal about keeping a cooker at some particular temperature otherwise some catastrophic undesirable end result would occur. But, it never did, I just turned out some really awesome barbecue if I'm somewhere aroundish 265-330*.

But most importantly, figure out what works for you and your lifestyle and keep on barbecuing - that's what matters
We just did it this week. Chuckies with and without wood.

Everyone could tell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Weber 22.5" x 3
UDS with IQ 110
Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer
Molon Labe!
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #52
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
pjtexas1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-28-11
Location: Belton, Tx
Name/Nickname : Texas Pete
Default

if your wood is seasoned and the offset is designed properly you can just put a stick in and walk away. i only need 1 small stick every 40 minutes or so. if i want to go longer i will add 2 sticks and let the temp jump a little bit. i start with my intake and exhaust wide open and never touch them until it is time to put it away. most of the time i don't even open the fb door. i just push the sticks in thru the intake.

i get what you are saying about the wood just being lump once it burns down but to me the flavor i like comes from the smoke as it burns down into coals. that is why i tell people to add a green stick if they don't get enough smoke from their stick burners.

let's keep this thread going. i am loving everyone's comments.
__________________
Paul

Shirley 24x55 Straight Back Cabinet 4 Racks
T&K Smokers GF /Abe's 48" Entertainer / 22.5 OTG
28" BS / Custom 20x52 vertical / Jimmy with CB Roti
Red Box Smoker on custom cart

2018 Texas Fall Bash - Oct. 27th 2018 https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...19#post3972819
2018 Texas Fall Bash Sign Up https://goo.gl/L6rTyE
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #53
jasonjax
is One Chatty Farker

 
jasonjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-20-07
Location: Jax, Fl.
Default

I love my stick burner.

The sticks are incredibly small though!

jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #54
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

 
mstewart39's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-16-17
Location: York, PA
Default

“Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself....To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountains which sustain life, not the top.”

― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
__________________
Kamado Joe Big Joe, 14" WSM, 22" Weber Kettle, Akorn Kamado, and now a OKJ Bandera!!
mstewart39 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #55
ModelMaker
is Blowin Smoke!
 
ModelMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-06
Location: Lake Ponderosa-Montezuma, IA
Default

A man gotta do what a man gotta do to make his heart light.
Carry on.
Ed
__________________
Designer of a custom drum smoker
Customized Aussie gas passer
Turkey fryer
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge


And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #56
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

 
Czarbecue's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-24-17
Location: Loganville, GA
Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default

In a somewhat related topic, I thought no real BBQ restaurant would use a pellet pooper until I saw that video about Big Mista's place in the LBC. Surely on my place to check out when I visit my sister in the foothills.
__________________
Boathouse Smokers Big Black Cabinet
Hunsaker Smokers 110 Gallon Vortex Clone
Oklahoma Joe Bandera Trailer
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #57
sudsandswine
is One Chatty Farker

 
sudsandswine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-23-12
Location: Kansas City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerBroker View Post
Generally speaking, I agree with most of everyone's points of view on this thread but this particular observation may only hold true with offsets that aren't designed as well as they could be. I always preheat my splits by placing them to the side of the fire. This is easier to do when you have a large firebox. Once it's preheated and its time to add to the fire, I can plop it on the coal bed and walk away. There is no need to adjust vents, make sure the wood catches (because it always does), and the temp hardly fluctuates at all because 1/4" plate holds the heat so well. It takes a concentrated effort to move my temps up or down once they are stabile. The only thing I have to watch out for is waiting too long to add another split because the temps will hold for a while even after the fire is almost out.

What kind of smoker do you have OP? I open my intake a little over 50%, open exhaust fully, and never touch vents again until it's time to shut her down. If I want the cooker hotter or cooler I just adjust the size of the fire...feed logs more or less often, or feed more or less logs at one time.

If you're constantly having to fidget with vents, maybe there's an issue with your cooker, as joker mentioned.
__________________
Shirley Fabrication 24x60 | Primo XL kamado | Red Weber Limited Edition kettle

Last edited by sudsandswine; 12-05-2017 at 09:20 AM..
sudsandswine is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 12-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #58
bonz50
Full Fledged Farker

 
bonz50's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-17
Location: Antioch, IL
Default

I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job at hand. if the job at hand requires an overnight 'set and forget' cook then fire up the coal burner. if the job is a midday relaxing rib cook with beers and friends, stick burn it. no shame in having a preference, no shame in having multiple smokers either.
__________________
Don't like your job?? No Problem!!! There's a support group for that and they meet at the bar!!

WSM 18.5", Weber Genesis Gold B, Blackstone 36" griddle, OK Joe Longhorn
bonz50 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #59
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Join Date: 12-28-07
Location: annville ky
Default

people puts way too much trying to control the heat, , feed it wood and dont worry about the temp. if get too hot open the door if too cold close the door, yes bbq taste better with wood , but a lot of people that eats it can't tell the difference, use whatever fuel source you like, in the end that all that matters
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #60
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-20-16
Location: Middleburg, Florida
Default

A chore for some is a pleasure for others.
Do whatever trips your trigger. Just don't go vegan!
__________________
Lang 60 Deluxe / XL BGE / Several Weber Kettles / 36" Blackstone
JohnH12 is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts