The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Heck yes.

Like a boss.

Keep it up and Aaron Franklin will be taking notes on your cooks.

Nice clean fire getting it done nicely.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #17
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenf92 View Post
I saw Aaron Franklin do it in his videos and I just decided to try it and see how it went. I used an ash shovel to move the coals around but honestly I think.it was one of the cleanest fires I've burned so far on the smoker. My logs were long enough to kind of wedge into the firebox above the coal.bed so I didn't have airflow issues. I always run my fire box door and my smokestack wide open though so that always helps.
^^ This right here. Grates get in the way sometimes and sometimes you just have to play with the fire to really appreciate it.
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #18
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Looks like it was cooked on the finest of pits to me!
Great job!!!
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #19
holdenf92
Knows what a fatty is.

Do.y all know the best way to reheat brisket? I assume wrapped in foil in the oven right?
holdenf92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #20
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenf92 View Post
Do.y all know the best way to reheat brisket? I assume wrapped in foil in the oven right?
On the brisket cooks where I've foiled about 1/2 way through I'll have tons of juice left that goes into the container with the leftover brisket and stored in the fridge. Almost doesn't matter how I reheat it. Comes out pretty good.

On the last couple cooks I didn't foil....just let it ride the whole time undisturbed.

This didn't have all that wonderful juice saved. Whatever was in the meat after resting was it. The cold leftovers the next day seemed a bit dry. I put 'em a pan with some beef broth and reheated in the oven and let it rest a bit. Results were certainly better than using a microwave.

I'll be doing a smallish flat on Monday. Planning on using foil when it hits mid 160's. Hoping to save some of that juice on this cook. Heck....I may just do a the whole thing up as lean burnt ends.

Great looking brisket you did there.

How'd you like the Black Ops ? It's about my favorite store-bought brisket rub.

You have that Brazos up and running strong. It's going to be fun watching your cooks on it.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #21
holdenf92
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
On the brisket cooks where I've foiled about 1/2 way through I'll have tons of juice left that goes into the container with the leftover brisket and stored in the fridge. Almost doesn't matter how I reheat it. Comes out pretty good.

On the last couple cooks I didn't foil....just let it ride the whole time undisturbed.

This didn't have all that wonderful juice saved. Whatever was in the meat after resting was it. The cold leftovers the next day seemed a bit dry. I put 'em a pan with some beef broth and reheated in the oven and let it rest a bit. Results were certainly better than using a microwave.

I'll be doing a smallish flat on Monday. Planning on using foil when it hits mid 160's. Hoping to save some of that juice on this cook. Heck....I may just do a the whole thing up as lean burnt ends.

Great looking brisket you did there.

How'd you like the Black Ops ? It's about my favorite store-bought brisket rub.

You have that Brazos up and running strong. It's going to be fun watching your cooks on it.

It was the first time I've used the Black Ops rub. It smelled a lot stronger of chili powder than I expected. I had to mix it with some coarse salt and pepper because I don't really like a brisket rub to be too powdery like a rib rub. I feel like the more powdered the rub is the less good crusty bark you get. I did like the final flavor of it but it didn't blow me away like a lot of people say it does. It was good but ill say I deff don't think it's worth the price. I think I can make a rub up on My own that has a similar flavor for a lot cheaper. I may use it again though. Who knows. I have been trying to come up with a brisket rub that combines salt and pepper with Louisiana flavors because my dream is to open a bbq restaurant one day and do bbq with Texas principles (quality meats, offset wood fired smoker, butcher paper, meat cut to-order) with Louisiana flavors. I thought about maybe grinding some crushed red pepper flakes and adding that to the mix and doing a slather that includes Louisiana hot sauce. For this brisket I just used mustard, which I know is popular in Texas.
holdenf92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->