MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
OEF5
On the road to being a farker

Default Judge My Box Brethern

This is my first attempt at building, presenting, cooking anything to go into a box like this. So this is all practice and you opinions will greatly help us get better!
Some quick facts;

Lolipop chicken test, two cook methods, one rub, two sauces. So in the box the bottom two legs are dry for the rub test. We used Kale and the wife isn't sure about the color of it, I think it looks fine, but this is where we need you. Now for the pics! I also see in the pic that there is some sauce on the lid, it's because I didn't like how it looked and put a bit more glaze on it and the leg wasn't in the same place. Second pic is before the extra sauce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2087.jpg (49.2 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2086.jpg (50.9 KB, 300 views)

[URL="https://m.facebook.com/groups/458082244542914"]Jakesville Farm[/URL]
OEF5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Not going to give you a score because I lack experience in that. The skin has rolled back. Sauce looks good in the first pic except the bottom two look like they got missed. The bones look blackened a bit. Foil the bones during cooking. Check out DivaQ's chicken lollipop video on YouTube. It is missing some things in her process but will give you a good idea of how to do it.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Make all six look like the one in the back left and your golden.
Quit worrying about garnish, if it's legal it no longer plays any role in appearance scoring.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Okie Sawbones
Banned

The left box, 8 on appearance, due to uneven glaze. It looks like you missed the front two. Bones are fine.

The right box, 8 or 9, since sauce is NOT required. I'd need to see this in person, because the middle one on the right looks splotchy from the picture.

Despite what I've read from some forums, I still see lollipop chicken and cupcake chicken, more so the former.

I just gave a 9-9-8 to a lollipop chicken last Saturday -- excellent flavor but a tad overcooked.
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
ClaytonSmoke
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Steve

I agree that the ones on the bottom could use a little more sauce. When I judge, I pretty much give 8s and 9s on appearance as any experienced BBQ team should be able to produce good looking BBQ. Occasional mark down for sloppy sauce or something else. Judges are instructed not to mark down for sauce on the lid or judge garnish.

You might be taking a chance by turning in something out of the ordinary. I turned in the chicken below last week and received 9, 7, 9, 6, 9, 9 for appearance. I have to think the inconsistencies may be because they are drumsticks and not thighs. I'm not saying they deserved 9s either, maybe some judges marked me up because they like drumsticks. I just find it hard to believe two people could have such a different opinion on something as simple as appearance. Missed walking by 0.04 on this entry.

Edit: Maybe I would have scored better if I hadn't turned them in sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170930_115517.jpg (62.9 KB, 242 views)
ClaytonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonSmoke View Post
I agree that the ones on the bottom could use a little more sauce. When I judge, I pretty much give 8s and 9s on appearance as any experienced BBQ team should be able to produce good looking BBQ. Occasional mark down for sloppy sauce or something else. Judges are instructed not to mark down for sauce on the lid or judge garnish.

You might be taking a chance by turning in something out of the ordinary. I turned in the chicken below last week and received 9, 7, 9, 6, 9, 9 for appearance. I have to think the inconsistencies may be because they are drumsticks and not thighs. I'm not saying they deserved 9s either, maybe some judges marked me up because they like drumsticks. I just find it hard to believe two people could have such a different opinion on something as simple as appearance. Missed walking by 0.04 on this entry.

Edit: Maybe I would have scored better if I hadn't turned them in sideways.
No way those deserved a 6 or 7, for crying out loud.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
10-8
Full Fledged Farker

As already stated, wrap the bone in foil. I dunk the lollipop bone and all in a thinned warmed sauce for presentation. This makes the bone more shiny instead of dull. Malcom Reed (Howtobbqright has a great video on the process)

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
ClaytonSmoke
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Sawbones View Post
No way those deserved a 6 or 7, for crying out loud.
Thank you. I agree!
ClaytonSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
OEF5

The boxes are the exact same chicken, the left was with a slight glaze to shine them up after coming off the smoker, the right box is right out of the smoker after setting the glaze.

I know the bottom two legs don't have glaze, as I mentioned in the notes we were also testing our rub for just taste without any sauce. As this was a practice we didn't do every leg the exact same way.

Quote:
The left box, 8 on appearance, due to uneven glaze. It looks like you missed the front two. Bones are fine.

The right box, 8 or 9, since sauce is NOT required. I'd need to see this in person, because the middle one on the right looks splotchy from the picture.

Despite what I've read from some forums, I still see lollipop chicken and cupcake chicken, more so the former.

I just gave a 9-9-8 to a lollipop chicken last Saturday -- excellent flavor but a tad overcooked.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
OEF5

As for doing the wrap and watching Diva Q, did that..here is why I think they don't look as appealing:

We don't yet have the proper tools to get the bone completely clean as you can see in the prep photo. The wife spent an hour doing 12 legs to get them to this stage, and since it was the first go at doing a box we were happy, and all of your alls comments will be used to adjust and make it even better, so thank you so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2066.jpg (40.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2080.jpg (23.1 KB, 194 views)

Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

I guess I was the only one to actually read everything OEF5 wrote.

I wouldn't run them dry. They don't look as appealing. Make them all look like your sauced ones and you'd get a 9 from me.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
I guess I was the only one to actually read everything OEF5 wrote.
And you get a gold star for being such a good boy.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #13
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
And you get a gold star for being such a good boy.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
Okie Sawbones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEF5 View Post
The boxes are the exact same chicken, the left was with a slight glaze to shine them up after coming off the smoker, the right box is right out of the smoker after setting the glaze.

I know the bottom two legs don't have glaze, as I mentioned in the notes we were also testing our rub for just taste without any sauce. As this was a practice we didn't do every leg the exact same way.
Yep. I was just trying to make the point that entries with no sauce should not be marked down, but I have heard it before.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #15
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Looks like the middle right piece got smudged with your fingers before you sauced it. I would still give it a 8-9. I would thin out the sauce just a tad and sauce the bones. It looks better. Taking pics is the best way to find your mistakes and improve your appearance.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote