The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Default Just me and my son for a week - might need more charcoal!

Next week my wife and daughter will be taking my in-laws back to Virginia. They've been with us since Easter due to father in law's health condition, heart surgery, and recovery. So it will just be me and the boy, and I think he is eagerly anticipating the grilling/smoking we'll be doing. He's already requested spatch-cocked chicken. I'm thinking ribs some other night, maybe a small pork butt. We might have to make enchiladas with leftover pulled pork. The possibilities are endless. In any case, I'm looking forward to cooking without worrying about my FIL's dietary restrictions.

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Fun times ahead !!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
Fun times ahead !!!!!!!!!!
Yes indeed! He's already found a spatchocked chicken recipe from Allrecipes. He likes to cook, and I'll get him involved.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

That's awesome! How old is he?
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

He's 15, and has taken a couple of culinary classes at school. Hasn't shown much interest in grilling, but I'm also usually in a rush. With me in charge of menu & shopping that will change. I'm quite looking forward to this myself!

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

you guys are going to have a blast. As a single parent, one of the things I love is the time we share cooking. Good job! Have fun building your meals and making memories.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
aerotech11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ric

I will be in the same boat as you 10miler. My wife and daughter are going to Jersey next week so it is the boys and me all week. My boys are already talkin ribs, wings, brisket. I had to tell them to slow down a bit. I still gotta work. Like your 15 year old mine has also taken some cooking classes in school and shows a great interest in the finer art of BBQ. My 9 year old just likes to eat and can tear up a rack of baby backs. I see a lot of BBQ in the next week to come. Good chance for me to break in the new Weber kettles I just purchased. Looks like were in this together.
aerotech11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotech11 View Post
I will be in the same boat as you 10miler. My wife and daughter are going to Jersey next week so it is the boys and me all week. My boys are already talkin ribs, wings, brisket. I had to tell them to slow down a bit. I still gotta work. Like your 15 year old mine has also taken some cooking classes in school and shows a great interest in the finer art of BBQ. My 9 year old just likes to eat and can tear up a rack of baby backs. I see a lot of BBQ in the next week to come. Good chance for me to break in the new Weber kettles I just purchased. Looks like were in this together.
Nice! I have to work too, but I work from home 100%. So I'll be able to prep at lunchtime/afternoon break, etc. Heck I'm in a meeting at this very moment!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like great experiences for you and him
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10miler View Post
He's 15, and has taken a couple of culinary classes at school. Hasn't shown much interest in grilling, but I'm also usually in a rush. With me in charge of menu & shopping that will change. I'm quite looking forward to this myself!
That's fantastic that he likes being involved. My 3 yr old loves "helping" but the type of help he can be is limited. He did watch most of a sausage making video with me last night though... so I think he's getting the bug
BeardedBassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
aerotech11
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10miler View Post
Nice! I have to work too, but I work from home 100%. So I'll be able to prep at lunchtime/afternoon break, etc. Heck I'm in a meeting at this very moment!
I want your job. I am stuck in a hanger or on a flight line all day.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedBassGuy View Post
That's fantastic that he likes being involved. My 3 yr old loves "helping" but the type of help he can be is limited. He did watch most of a sausage making video with me last night though... so I think he's getting the bug
That's great! Get them started early. We used to watch shows like Chopped as a family, and everyone enjoyed it.

Preliminary menu might be something like this.

Spatchcock chicken & a fatty
Pulled pork - drip pan with beans
Enchiladas made with refried beans (from drip pan) and leftover pulled pork
Smoked chuckie?

Obviously we'll grill some spuds & veggies along the way. Might need to pick up a grill pan.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #13
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I want your job. I am stuck in a hanger or on a flight line all day.
I've got a pretty good gig. Almost had an emergency this morning though. My vintage percolator starting sparking at the plug. Fortunately these things were made were made to be fixed and I had it up and running in 20 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0746.jpg (81.7 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0747.jpg (63.8 KB, 575 views)

Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
aerotech11
is one Smokin' Farker

That would have been an emergency if you didn't get that back up and running. That same thing happened to me a few weeks back with a vintage waffle maker. fixed her right up and still running. Gotta love the vintage stuff.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That would have been an emergency if you didn't get that back up and running. That same thing happened to me a few weeks back with a vintage waffle maker. fixed her right up and still running. Gotta love the vintage stuff.
For sure, I just wish everything these days were made the same way. Now we pretty much throw away and buy another.