The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
BeastMode
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Recommendations on generator

I just picked up my new food trailer that i will be doing roadside and occaional festivals and shopping for a generator. I was initially leaning toward the Honda eu7000 but wanted to continue my search before forking out 4K for it. I have 2 100 lb propane tanks mounted next to it so now I'm considering a propane powered generator. I will primarily be running a refrigerator, 18k btu a/c, water pump, led light strips, alto shaam cook and hold warmer w/ 20 amp plug, and occasionally the installed vent hood. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
BeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

If you have the budget, your initial choice is one of the best. I would also consider offerings from Champion.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
LTG
Take a breath!

Buy once, cry once. Get the eu7000.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
JDM46
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTG View Post
Buy once, cry once. Get the eu7000.
+1 ON THE eu7000
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

I'd have a dealer let you try a EU7000 for a weekend because I don't think it will power all the above you have listed or would be close. How are you heating water? I can power a refrig, hot holding cabinets and lights on my trailer with a EU3000 but not the ac or hot water heater. I'll turn on the hot water tank early in the morning and once it's hot I'll turn it off and I have the choice to run ac or hot box but not both.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
I just picked up my new food trailer that i will be doing roadside and occaional festivals and shopping for a generator. I was initially leaning toward the Honda eu7000 but wanted to continue my search before forking out 4K for it. I have 2 100 lb propane tanks mounted next to it so now I'm considering a propane powered generator. I will primarily be running a refrigerator, 18k btu a/c, water pump, led light strips, alto shaam cook and hold warmer w/ 20 amp plug, and occasionally the installed vent hood. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I'd have a dealer let you try a EU7000 for a weekend because I don't think it will power all the above you have listed or would be close. How are you heating water? I can power a refrig, hot holding cabinets and lights on my trailer with a EU3000 but not the ac or hot water heater. I'll turn on the hot water tank early in the morning and once it's hot I'll turn it off and I have the choice to run ac or hot box but not both.
A 7000 will easily run all that. Run the AC on one of the 20 amp circuits, Run the Alto shaam on the other 20 and everyting else on the 30.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
A 7000 will easily run all that. Run the AC on one of the 20 amp circuits, Run the Alto shaam on the other 20 and everyting else on the 30.
I would think it would myself but I'd still try it because I know two caterers with food truck that have run the EU7000 running similar equipment and described above and both had issues when they were told it would run everything. I don't know exactly what their issues were, I just know they were unhappy with them.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Get a quiet generator. We went to a food truck event and most trucks had extemely loud generators and it was impossible to hold a conversation around any of them

SAVE THE DATE!!! 2019 Brethren Chicago Area Midwinter Lunch — Saturday, January 26th, 2019

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 AM   #9
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Ron,

The Honda EU series generators are extremely quiet.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode View Post
There are after market kits that will allow you to convert the EU to run off of propane. It is removable so you could convert back to gas if you want.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:59 AM   #11
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Personally I'd spend a little more and get something like this:

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...45/p15735.html. 70 dB at 10' puts it pretty quiet, similar to the Honda.

The reason I would go with an RV cycle is that I suspect the duty cycle is much higher than the Honda.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
BeastMode
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for your inputs! I will keep the Honda at top of list until I hear othrr brands I was interested in running. There are several food trucks throughout my area do I'll go by a few of them and pay more attention
BeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
I would think it would myself but I'd still try it because I know two caterers with food truck that have run the EU7000 running similar equipment and described above and both had issues when they were told it would run everything. I don't know exactly what their issues were, I just know they were unhappy with them.
I run a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, electric hot water heater, two 1800 Watt induction burners plus a fridge, overhead lights and other small miscellaneous appliances without any trouble on a 7000. The key with any generator is you have to be able to split your load. A 7000 has one independent 30 amp circuit plus two 20 amp independent circuits.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

The best thing about the EU7000 is that it's fuel injected vs carb delivery of fuel.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #15
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I run a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, electric hot water heater, two 1800 Watt induction burners plus a fridge, overhead lights and other small miscellaneous appliances without any trouble on a 7000. The key with any generator is you have to be able to split your load. A 7000 has one independent 30 amp circuit plus two 20 amp independent circuits.
Perhaps there lies the issue. I know his trailer is one hook up and it's 30amp. So does your trailer have multiple cords to hook to each circuit and broken down separate in the breaker panel?